Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

I don't even know what to say to this.

I don't even know what to say to this.
August 29, 2011, 10:17:34 PM
I could point out the fallacies and paradoxes, but the hilarity is too rich.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/28/schools-offering-rewards-to-keep-students-in-class/

The Camden, N.J., school system will pay some students $100 if they sign a pledge promising not to skip school and attend workshops on conflict resolution and other topics. The program is funded through a state grant, and the money must be spent by Sept. 30.

California's Santa Ana Unified School District partners with a local auto dealership and holds a car raffle at the end of every academic term. Students who made it to every class for the 180-day school year are eligible to win.

The reasons students cut class include unsafe routes to and from school, fear of being bullied, not having the proper clothing or lacking Metro fare to get there, the report says. City officials are considering a reward program along with outreach efforts geared toward truant students and their families.

And iPods will fix that? LOL

Re: I don't even know what to say to this.
August 30, 2011, 12:24:54 AM
I thought money solved everything, are you trying to imply that it actually doesn't?

August 30, 2011, 09:06:06 AM
Well I'm sure of they take the money and sign the pledge they'll hold true to their word!

August 30, 2011, 10:11:15 AM
Camden is supposed to be a burned out hell hole dystopia that was so overly commercialized and so sanitized of culture that business and civic life have withered away to shadows of former prosperity. The city is but one example of the free market and welfare composite called liberal democratic capitalism that has run its inevitible course. It has simply outpaced many other political, economic and social failures of the left so its destruction is just more advanced. Let's check back on the documented performance of Camden's students in a few years after this new round of mental flatulence of the multicultural left has run its course.

August 30, 2011, 11:54:38 AM
Let's check back on the documented performance of Camden's students in a few years after this new round of mental flatulence of the multicultural left has run its course.

That is to assume there will be any remaining school districts by then. Cities such as these are a window to the future.

August 30, 2011, 02:58:29 PM
It's time to get rid of public schooling. It panders to idiots and bores everyone else. It's non-functional.

August 30, 2011, 03:05:29 PM
It's time to get rid of public schooling. It panders to idiots and bores everyone else. It's non-functional.

The purpose of public schooling is not to educate. It houses jobs for the incompetent, and it provides political figures the opportunity to use it for their own means. In order to dismantle the establishment, the leaders themselves must be impaled.

August 31, 2011, 12:55:07 AM
It's time to get rid of public schooling.

Could you suggest an alternative to it (like, how kids will learn math 'n shit)?

August 31, 2011, 05:47:55 AM
Private Schooling.

August 31, 2011, 06:53:12 AM
I live in Collingswood, close to Camden. Point blank it is like warfare keeping out the trash that trickles into town. We have a safe clean and fairly prosperous town. Better then the city that is for sure. And when you ride the PATCO train going into Philly, you will see Camden in shambles just as if it was bombed in warfare!  I am not s snob of any kind but man living in shit like that is quite depressing!

September 01, 2011, 07:38:06 AM
Camden is supposed to be a burned out hell hole dystopia that was so overly commercialized and so sanitized of culture that business and civic life have withered away to shadows of former prosperity. The city is but one example of the free market and welfare composite called liberal democratic capitalism that has run its inevitible course. It has simply outpaced many other political, economic and social failures of the left so its destruction is just more advanced. Let's check back on the documented performance of Camden's students in a few years after this new round of mental flatulence of the multicultural left has run its course.

Perhaps. There are er, "other" issues to consider...

http://camdennj.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

September 01, 2011, 08:11:04 AM
Private Schooling.

These usually are more expensive and not much better than public schooling. At least in my hometown and surrounding areas, the only thing that differentiated public school kids and private school kids is that the latter were snobs and really bratty.

The entire education system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

September 01, 2011, 04:37:53 PM
Private Schooling.

These usually are more expensive and not much better than public schooling. At least in my hometown and surrounding areas, the only thing that differentiated public school kids and private school kids is that the latter were snobs and really bratty.

The entire education system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Indeed. I think the private school kids have a sense of entitlement, and the general conclusion is that you must earn high grades. Unlike public schools, there is more general focus on academics, so the ACT/SAT scores are higher (as if it is difficult to beat public schools in this area >__> ).  This is a complex issue. Public schooling and private schooling have differences and overlap, but they are mere products of the system as a whole. They are not necessarily separate entities when observing the educational structure as a whole. Therefore, I agree with rebuilding from the ground up, and to reinstate step one:
In order to dismantle the establishment, the leaders themselves must be impaled.

Perhaps. There are er, "other" issues to consider...

http://camdennj.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

September 02, 2011, 04:39:53 PM

Could you suggest an alternative to it (like, how kids will learn math 'n shit)?

Home schooling.

September 02, 2011, 06:23:50 PM

Home schooling.

I agree that home schooling is a far better alternative to public schooling in most cases, but what if both parents have to work in order to make ends meet and cannot swing it?