Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Nerds

Nerds
August 30, 2011, 10:07:22 PM
We don't even know our own history.

Though nerd has been a part of American slang for 50 years now, speculation about the word’s origin began brewing in the 1980s. (The 1984 film “Revenge of the Nerds” had put nerds on the map, albeit in highly cartoonish fashion, and presaged the rise of “nerd pride.”) In a 1987 column in PC Magazine, John C. Dvorak gathered together a number of proposed etymologies of nerd, including the ne’er-do-well shortening, and shot them down one by one as mere conjecture.

Several of Dvorak’s readers figured nerd had something to do with Mortimer Snerd, the dummy used by ventriloquist Edgar Bergen beginning in the late 1930s. More creatively, others theorized that it was first spelled knurd, which is drunk spelled backwards. One graduate of Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute reasoned that a knurd “studied all the time, got all A’s, and never took part in parties or activities. He was always sober, hence the inverse of drunk.”

Nerd has also been explained as a variation on nert, surfer slang for a nut. (The frustrated interjection nerts!, from the early ’30s, is a similar play on nuts.) Another theory has it originally spelled as nurd, suggesting a combination of nut and turd. And then there are the acronyms, always a popular source of faux etymology – for example, “Neurotic Engineers in R&D.”

http://articles.boston.com/2011-08-28/bostonglobe/29939041_1_nerd-pride-etymology-theories

I suggest a new word: sperd, for spergin' nerd.

Re: Nerds
August 30, 2011, 10:54:04 PM
Conservationist, I'm going to need a will save.

;P

I agree on the term "sperd", though. Going to use that.

September 01, 2011, 12:57:51 PM
I think just "sperg" works better.

September 01, 2011, 06:02:32 PM
I honestly had never heard the term "aspie" or even knew what the hell Asperger's was 'til I started hanging out on this message board!  I think it's all a big conspiracy.  I'm a nerd and that's that!
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

September 01, 2011, 11:52:50 PM
I honestly had never heard the term "aspie" or even knew what the hell Asperger's was 'til I started hanging out on this message board!  I think it's all a big conspiracy.  I'm a nerd and that's that!

Fuck you aspie-posers. You're all nerds!

I, however, am an aspie.
Impale the Under-120's!

I've always enjoyed a little male bondage every now and then.
I like missionary because it allows me to watch her face as I strangle her.

September 03, 2011, 03:40:57 AM
honestly, though, an aspie is highly intelligent but lacks social skills?  what is the difference between that and autistic?  in fact why do they even need a name for that anyway?  I know there are Rain Man types and outright social rejects, but this constant classification based on the smallest difference seems silly.  it's one thing to shoot the shit and say a nerd is this, a geek is this, a dork is this, an aspie is this.  but doesn't science have better things to do?  I wonder if some of these kids are told they're "autistic" when they're young and then they become what they're told they are.  you wonder what would happen if they were never told they "have" aspergers.  it's not like they have pills for these things, do they?
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

September 03, 2011, 04:21:11 AM
honestly, though, an aspie is highly intelligent but lacks social skills?  what is the difference between that and autistic?  in fact why do they even need a name for that anyway?  I know there are Rain Man types and outright social rejects, but this constant classification based on the smallest difference seems silly.  it's one thing to shoot the shit and say a nerd is this, a geek is this, a dork is this, an aspie is this.  but doesn't science have better things to do?  I wonder if some of these kids are told they're "autistic" when they're young and then they become what they're told they are.  you wonder what would happen if they were never told they "have" aspergers.  it's not like they have pills for these things, do they?

I catch your drift. The pragmatism tends to fall on the part of the "disordered", rather than the doctors. It is the same with personality disorders. Autism is very different though. Although you have those who function highly, most need outside assistance to cope.
Impale the Under-120's!

September 03, 2011, 08:03:20 AM
Quote from: wikipaedio
Asperger syndrome or Asperger's syndrome or Asperger disorder is an autism spectrum disorder that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It differs from other autism spectrum disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and atypical use of language are frequently reported.

It's high functioning autism. Diagnosis is appropriate - the other kids need to be told "this guy has a mental disorder, so tone down on the bullying mkay?".

September 03, 2011, 08:29:24 PM
It's high functioning autism. Diagnosis is appropriate - the other kids need to be told "this guy has a mental disorder, so tone down on the bullying mkay?".

Translated into kid-speak: "Wait for my back to be turned before you anally rape him."

September 04, 2011, 04:22:49 AM
I think a lot of people in the ANUS sphere are "normal". Normal meaning not sufficiently disordered.
Impale the Under-120's!

September 05, 2011, 02:40:07 PM
Geeks !!

NHA

September 06, 2011, 10:50:13 AM
sperglord

September 07, 2011, 01:18:56 AM
Boss.

September 07, 2011, 02:29:05 AM

^ Me when I was twelve.
Impale the Under-120's!

September 07, 2011, 03:14:36 AM
Intelligence and specialized skill (nerd) + Fitness and social influence (jock) = overman?