Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Worst pratices: Soy

Re: Worst pratices: Soy
September 07, 2011, 12:40:07 PM
Solution: kill all hippies.

On a related note, I watched the Combat Tour '85 video again the other day, and the Exodus frontman says something about "the kind of people who like to go around looking for poseurs to beat up".  What happened to that?  Maybe a step towards a full Hessian revival is to simply beat the crap out of emos, scene kids, and hipsters.

September 07, 2011, 03:19:34 PM
And I know for sure many people question the idea of health and taking it seriously, especially in the metal world.
The issue here is that a naive teenager living in most major North American cities will see the fact that health foods are often pushed by pussy hippy dipshits, then have a knee jerk reaction and write it all off as bullshit. We have the same problems with nationalism (Germanophile Neo-Nazis) and environmentalism (more hippies).

I agree about most people who act as advocates for healthy eating.  The most popular ones tend to weigh in at both extremes of the population from the extreme health nut, and the homeopathic "I'm going to control my blood glucose by eating more cinnamon" hippie bullshit. Healthy eating is somewhere in the middle for most generally healthy people.  The problem is that most generally healthy people have health idols who advocate healthy eating as some sort of restrictive diet, i.e. "I'm going to cut out bread" "I'm going to cut out animal products" or "I'm going to cut out all sweets".  Of course much like when you've stretched a rubberband too far it's bound to snap to being loose again, and stretched out and you feel and eat worse than you did when you started the diet.

September 07, 2011, 03:42:17 PM
How did you find a vegan diet? I really enjoy some veggies and almost all fruit, but I don't think I could ever give up fish or cheese.

I thought the diet itself was great. It forced me to be creative when cooking and forced me to try new foods and restaurants that I may have overlooked previously.  Physically, I felt about the same as I do now on an omnivorous diet, which was always good.  I get a lot of dedicated physical activity compared to some, 1-2 hours 5-6 times a week, and still fit in my fresh fruits and vegetables wherever I can. Everybody is different though. There are a lot of factors to consider.

Socially, it was problematic with my friends and family. I prepared my own dishes to bring for family/friend barbecues/dinners because there would normally be nothing that they would make for me that I would eat that I would define as a meal. Friends were rarely open to going to Vegan or Vegetarian restaurants, so I made a lot of compromises making meals out of sides and/or side salads at places that served the typical fanfare. Needless to say, it made social interactions around food less enjoyable. It was tolerable because I was living in Chicago where there are a lot of options for that type of eating, and I had more time to cook. Once I moved to a more rural college town in Michigan, my options were much more limited. Eventually, as my time to cook, and money to buy prepared vegan foods dwindled, doing the Vegan thing just became impractical. So if it's something that you're considering, you might want to consider the social implications (if any), time it takes to cook satisfying meals, or money it takes to buy everything Vegan.

But as an omnivore again, I still prefer certain meals prepared vegan because they taste better than the typical meat/potatoes/cheese/repeat that most Americans eat.  It really depends on why you would eat a Vegan diet that will determine your success with it.

Interesting.

As some have noted, the problem seems to be hippie fucks who choose to push veganism as if it's the only way (which brings to mind this little jewel from my younger years http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=hippies). Did you encounter such types?

Eating healthy shouldn't be treated as a social stigma that people need to be pressured into. Instead, I think we could most benefit from a calmer, more scientific based approach (here is what these foods are, here is why they are good/bad for you, and it is your choice whether or not to eat them). The fat fucks would eat themselves to death.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

September 07, 2011, 04:31:28 PM

Interesting.

As some have noted, the problem seems to be hippie fucks who choose to push veganism as if it's the only way (which brings to mind this little jewel from my younger years http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=hippies). Did you encounter such types?

Eating healthy shouldn't be treated as a social stigma that people need to be pressured into. Instead, I think we could most benefit from a calmer, more scientific based approach (here is what these foods are, here is why they are good/bad for you, and it is your choice whether or not to eat them). The fat fucks would eat themselves to death.

Really didn't run into too many hippies except online. In person I found that Veganism attracted more Hipsters who were more doing it because they thought it was cool.

Eating generally has a strong tie to culture and genetic background more than anything. Some people thrive on a meat heavy diet for example, while others thrive on a plant heavy diet. The only way to know if your diet is working for you is examining how you feel, and getting regular doctor checkups to make sure things like LDL Cholesterol, Trigylcerides, and blood sugars are at levels that are appropriate for you.  Some people are highly susceptible to high LDL Cholesterol and don't have to eat much animal products for it to be high.

It's not really useful to think of foods as a good/bad dichotomy. It really depends on how your body reacts to things. For example my mother in law went through a period where she was eating 6 or 7 servings a day of leafy greens like spinach ("good foods") but developed kidney stones from the high amount of oxalates that they contain.  Conversely, a person who is on kidney dialysis needs a diet low on phosphorus, which is in practically every food except for energy-dense food like candy bars. So in order to consume enough energy, candy bars would be an optimal supplement to their nutrient-dense diet to get the calories they need, without overloading on phosphorus.

Using Fatness as a Barometer for health is about as useful as phrenology. More accurately, fat people as well as skinny people are eating themselves to death with foods that make them sick. While some people do get fatter from a poor diet and no excercise, not everybody does. Also not everybody gets skinny from eating well and excercising either. Genetics play the biggest role in body shape and size. Environment does play a role too, but there are healthy, active people out there who are over 300 pounds.

September 08, 2011, 02:57:49 AM
Humans have been processing foods for centuries.  However, the issue is often how they are processed and why.  Soy can be good if it is processed correctly, but that processing takes a lot of time.  Tempeh production, as far as I know, does not command the mainstream credibility of soy milk.  Lactose intolerant people and people with milk allergies often mistakenly choose fortified soy milk as a substitute for milk.  This is especially a great folly if one is from a culture which consumes a lot of dairy.  How would one manage to be lactose intolerant in a dairy-heavy culture?  It does happen even to those people who have no mixture with other races or even ethnicities however rare it may be.  With the rise of people in the United States mixing even within the Caucasian race, we see hybrids either having or lacking lactose and milk tolerance.  There is your correlation with a rise in soy-as-dairy use along with the health food crowd.  Many cultures consume fermented dairy: many cheeses, yogurts, and butters are cultured which enhances their digestibility.  Look at your other options before you drink and eat yourself beyond womanhood as the danger of soy is not just in milk.  Anything with vegetable oil, for example, is likely contain some soy as soy is also used as a crop for cooking oil.

Whole grain is not going to kill if you if your body is adapted to digesting grain.  White grain and white sugar are another story.  Calcium can be found elsewhere if you need it, but get used to consuming shells, bone, etc. in various forms including broth or stock for soups.  Beans are great for protein and tasty if you season them properly.

September 08, 2011, 12:16:56 PM
Oh those damn Hippies, making everything you do a problem! You also see the hipsters eating vegan because it is cheaper in some ways! My wife would like to knife one of them shortly for their fake ass "I'm broke and poor, so I am suffering" routine. Yeah, I will show you suffering! :D

Phoenix

September 08, 2011, 06:51:45 PM
I agree a good diet is very important. Even if you're not concerned with your long term health, it also applies to instant gratification. I know if I eat a ton of bread I'll feel lethargic and shitty afterwards, for example. Trouble is most people I talk to about this report they feel worse, not better, the days after making their diet healthier, so they revert back to their old diet. I explain their bad feelings resulted from being physically addicted, as well probably psychologically addicted, to all the sugar and other bad things they were consuming before. I explain they need to let a period of time pass to get un-hooked from their old foods and then afterwards they can appreciate feeling better from eating better... but they don't seem to take my advice, go figure!

On the topic of soy, I can recommend rice protein as an alternative if you're concerned. I get lots of my protein from this brown rice protein powder I highly recommend (website is for Canada) - it's less expensive than meat and it tastes great. I originally started using it because I hate the taste of caramel, and soy protein powders almost always included caramel in their vanilla blends (even if not explicitly stated on the list of ingredients, it's just 'natural flavors'). This one doesn't have added caramel and tastes great.