Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Movies

Movies
September 05, 2011, 08:07:08 AM
What are some good movies that have to do with Black/Death metal? It doesn't have to be a documentary. 

Re: Movies
September 05, 2011, 09:10:56 AM
That depends on your definition of "to do with black/death metal"

There obviously aren't that many movies literally about metal, and even less that are worth seeing. And if you're looking for movies that could loosely be associated with metal (like Conan the Barbarian) then proles are going to lump in any random movie they want to promote (like Brokeback Mountain)

September 05, 2011, 09:46:34 AM
Yeah, I worded that post wrong. I'm looking for movies that either capture the spirit of D/B metal or documentaries worth seeing. Books would also be welcome here.

September 05, 2011, 01:16:09 PM
Until the light takes Us is the obvious choice for documentaries, it is seriously worth buying for the second DVD with extra interviews and what-not. These are going to be somewhat personal preferences but I would maybe say the works of Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa for fictional movies.

For books, I am sure there are other posts about that for a comprehensive list, but I would say Marriage of Heaven and Hell by Blake, the Illiad and the Odyssey, Moby Dick, Heart of Darkness.  For a documentary type book I actually liked "Lords of Chaos," by Moynihan, although some people here dislike it for reasons that I can't quite remember.  It's just an interesting document in my mind,  but you can't take it as the last word on Norwegian Black Metal.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

September 06, 2011, 01:48:35 AM
You can barely take it as the first word.  Most of it is a load of hype/bullshit.  That's why we don't like it.  Fabricated interviews and a load of unnecessary content?  Yay.

September 06, 2011, 02:48:29 AM
Anyone else want to confirm "Until the Light Takes Us" ?

September 06, 2011, 09:06:12 AM
Dawn of the Dead
Apocalypse Now
2001: A Space Odyssey

September 06, 2011, 11:18:53 AM
Until the Light Takes Us is good because the directors/producers seem to have had very little input.  It's generally just Gylve and Varg mouthing off about random stuff.

September 06, 2011, 12:27:18 PM
Agreed about UTLTU. I'd also have to agree about Lords of Chaos. Having read it when I was a lot yougner and still naive when it came to black metal, I was just interested to read someone talking about this music. I gave it a second read recently and one immediately gets bored with the tedious clammering for references to satan within black metal and what it all means. It was both patronising to the artists/art itself and filled too much space with irrelevant content. Even at a more basic level the writing style was just mediocre.
In a state of permanent Abyss

September 06, 2011, 04:15:14 PM
Apocalypse Now has strong themes of nihilism, war and isolating oneself from the modern world.
Conan the Barbarian romanticizes the ancient past and being a warrior. Its influence can be seen in bands like Manowar and Carnivore, but also Bathory and Lord Wind.
Made in Britain is a decent drama movie about Levy_Spearmen a kid screwing up his life. It has the Exploited in the soundtrack.
Mad Max 2: The Roadwarrior takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where biker punks are terrorizing people. Kinda neat, some will prefer Mad Max 1 for being less of a Hollywood movie but 2 is more accessible. Avoid Mad Max 3 unless you're a Tina Turner fan. There's no need to watch them in chronological order btw.
Marathon Man inspired Slayer to write Angel Of Death.
Evil Dead inspired Deicide to write Dead By Dawn.

I second Dawn of the Dead assuming IcKx was referring to the 1978 version and not the remake. Here are some more random personal favorites:

Horror:
Videodrome
Men Behind The Sun
Hellraiser
Carrie

War:
Full Metal Jacket
The Killing Fields
Black Hawk Down

Drama:
Don't Look Now
Rumble Fish
Bad Lieutenant

Crime:
Goodfellas
Romper Stomper

Western:
Once Upon A Time In The West

Movies are generally a waste of time. Finding a movie worth watching is even more time consuming. I don't think all the movies I just posted are A+ material but I do think they're worth watching. Did you check out the metal related film thread btw? More people should start posting links to interesting online movies there, they can't be much worse than "Hercules Against the Moon Men"

September 06, 2011, 05:10:03 PM
You can barely take it as the first word.  Most of it is a load of hype/bullshit.  That's why we don't like it.  Fabricated interviews and a load of unnecessary content?  Yay.

oh no shit?  they outright fabricated interviews?  I guess that's a good objection.

I also read it years ago, and I just remember it got me excited about things.  cool pictures too!  I read it in like 2 days so I do remember it wasn't some masterpiece or anything.

the thing that sticks out in my mind from that book is it made the connection between Norwegian Black Metal and the Oskorei.  that's the only reason it sticks out in my mind as being relevant.  I'm sure it's not the first place that made the connection, though, just the first place I encountered it.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

September 06, 2011, 06:46:55 PM
Umbrage - for crime, how could you forget The Godfather?

I'd also recommend some of the Death Wish movies. Charles Bronson takes crime into his own hands, as people once did, and perhaps should still do.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

September 06, 2011, 09:46:53 PM
I'd also highly recomend Fight Club, I guess that fits in with the crime genre.
In a state of permanent Abyss

September 06, 2011, 10:36:31 PM
Alien
Aliens
The Thing

September 06, 2011, 11:46:57 PM
Italian Westerns have the same spirit as early black and death metal.