Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

How to explain metal to normals

How to explain metal to normals
September 06, 2011, 09:40:46 PM
By normals, I mean non-metal people who aren't stupid. There's no point explaining metal to idiots; they'll just turn it into SUPERJOINT RITUAL or ULVER.

My guess:

1. Historical context
2. Explain reasons for the extremity
3. Extol its virtues
4. Point to technical differentiations
5. Explain its artistic POV

Re: How to explain metal to normals
September 06, 2011, 10:47:01 PM
And serve them a nice helping of Slayer. If the normal rejects Slayer, then he is not worthy of further conversation.
Impale the Under-120's!

I've always enjoyed a little male bondage every now and then.
I like missionary because it allows me to watch her face as I strangle her.

September 06, 2011, 11:01:39 PM
As well, that metal is not just a casual event, and that it has a purpose in both spirit and art form.

September 07, 2011, 01:17:24 AM
Don't.

September 07, 2011, 02:27:52 AM
Don't drink goat semen.

I concur; it isn't the most nutritious source of protein.
Impale the Under-120's!

I've always enjoyed a little male bondage every now and then.
I like missionary because it allows me to watch her face as I strangle her.

September 07, 2011, 02:42:46 AM
The general tone is jarring to most people, and perhaps for good reasons. Here are a couple that I can think of:

1) A natural aversion to something that signals terror.
2) Assumption that it is made for the sake of punks to use as a declaration of their "power".

I would agree that Slayer is a great place to start, mostly because the lyrics are (relatively) easy to decipher. In general, understanding lyrics is the easiest way to understand what a song/album/genre is trying to communicate.

September 07, 2011, 04:51:00 AM
I explain metal to normals like this:

"Imagine a boot, stamping on a pile of steaming shit, forever"

September 07, 2011, 11:33:59 PM
In response to someone's question about the purpose of violence in metal and the aesthetics of metal, I explained (dialogue simplified down to monologue):

"Yeah, I know. From a distance, it wouldn't seem like there's any difference between one form of angry-sounding music like punk hardcore and another like black/death metal. But to me, there's always been this subtle difference in the context of the emotions. Alot of metal doesn't sound simply 'angry' or disgruntled to me - it's aggression is often not directed at some particular thing, like corporations or the police (like in punk). It's almost like it's aggressive without being angry. I usually don't appreciate simply angry-sounding music because I'm not an angry person... but I can understand the need to act aggressively too. Aggressive without being angry. Cold and detached in a way, like Lovecraft's Old Gods that care not for human suffering, just like the natural world (the real world). That's why metal is truly psychotic music, as it's feeling are like they're not coming from a human being. When you hear the music, it doesn't sound human, does it? That's why the vocals sound the way they do. The perspective of metal is definitively inhuman, that's why it seems so foreign, that's why Mad At Your Girlfriend songs don't classify and that's also why it can get so stupid sometimes, as the musicians themselves have trouble intuitively thinking in the genre's terms. That, and the overbearing aesthetics are it's most noticeable trait, so that's what receives the most attention and emulation. But what really makes the genre (of 'death'/'black'/'doom', not so much 'speed' or 'heavy') worthwhile is that it is one of the few forms of music that thinks this way and paints the picture that it does. It offers this inhuman - psychotic - perspective on things that I don't see most anywhere else. Everything quintessentially metal seems to be a logical extension of that."

I don't think I said all that, but that's most of what was going through my mind when I attempted the explanation.

September 08, 2011, 12:27:38 AM
I explain metal to normals like this:

"Imagine a boot, stamping on a pile of steaming shit, forever"

Is it conscious or subconscious your inspiration from the famous "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

I probably like your sentence the most, btw.

September 10, 2011, 03:40:36 PM
Explain what happened in Norway:  murder, suicide, arson - might as well come out swinging, because, quite frankly, it's quite a story! 

Contrast metal to improvised music.  Use sexy phrases like sonic architecture or sonic landscapes.

I agree that Slayer is a good litmus test, a lot of my non metal friends (which are actually all my friends come to think of it) actually like Slayer quite a bit.

Get them to watch Until the Light Takes Us.  I don't care what anybody says, Varg is charismatic and he comes across really well in the movie.  I have friends with wives and kids, basically saying they actually agree with a lot of what he said in UtLTU.

Also, remember, your conversation with people is always ongoing.  You can't usually explain things to people in one sitting or even five!  Our dialogue with each other will continue until we die.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

September 10, 2011, 03:52:06 PM
I guess I was never even too into metal.

I just figure if you admire Hvis Lyset Tar Oss then you must be pretty fucking decent.