Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal is modern classical, Hardcore Punk is modern folk music

It has often been asserted that Metal is to one extent or another a continuation of Romantic Classical, if this is the case, then I have to suggest that Hardcore Punk music may be a continuation of folk music.

I see many parallels: Hardcore is structurally simple music by definition. It is usually made casually by a group of close friends, often with some of the members not particularly musically inclined aside from playing their instruments. They often view it more as a way to socialize and have fun than an artistic desire to create something of beauty, although that may and often does factor in as well.

The songs are usually short, rarely longer than 5 minutes. I've been told that back in the heyday of Hardcore, punks were often preferred bands from their general area over foreign bands, even when music from far away was available. Such regionalism is a rather folkish sentiment in my view.

In addition, the way Metal and Hardcore Punk have interacted over the years mirrors the relationship between classical and folk. Metal sometimes uses hardcore punk technique to imbue the music with a sense of fun, excitement and youthfulness, such as Speed Metal. Casualness, for lack of a better word. Many Hardcore bands that slowly turn more Metallic album after album often do so in an attempt to show off their musical ability, as if to prove they can write complex music as well. When they do this, the music often becomes more heavily structured and sometimes more serious. The first three Suicidal Tendencies albums show this pattern in particular.

There are many more parallels between the genres that I can't quite put into words right now, so I leave it to you fine Hessians to discuss.

I agree with your assertion and would add this simple observation.  Note how Metal and Punk bands devolve.  Metal almost universally regresses to Progressive Rock, while Punk almost universally regresses to some type of Bob Dylan type Folk shenanigans.  This is not a coincidence.

Metal almost universally regresses to Progressive Rock

Wat. Explanation please? I would've thought metal bands devolve into crappy 70s throwbacks, boring punk, or watered down hard rock.

Otherwise I agree with DL's assertion. Interesting to portray it in this light. However I would also like to point out that if it is to be categorized as folk music, it is most certainly a dumber (for lack of a better word) form of it. That and there have been maybe 5 good hardcore punk bands since the late 1980s. Punk rock itself has basically been assimilated into the rock lexicon as a whole, nowadays punk is either whiny melodic rock or shitty garage rock. Besides all this, the parallels are clear.

However I would also like to point out that if it is to be categorized as folk music, it is most certainly a dumber (for lack of a better word) form of it.
I want to make it clear I'm not suggesting Hardcore Punk is literally folk music, but that it serves the same purpose now that folk music did before the 20th century.

Metal almost universally regresses to Progressive Rock

Wat. Explanation please? I would've thought metal bands devolve into crappy 70s throwbacks, boring punk, or watered down hard rock.
Amorphis, Therion, Sentenced, Morbid Angel (before going Nu-Metal), Enslaved, Voivod (arguably), among others fit this trend.  What you're describing is not so much a regression or devolution but a band running out of ideas, so they just rehash whatever they can.

I guess this is just kind of a semantic issue.  Perhaps my use of "almost universally" was unjustified.