Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Senses

Re: Senses
October 13, 2011, 07:31:35 AM
Aristotle's theory of knowledge ... postulating that mankind's knowledge ascends higher and higher towards Truth with he passage of time?

I'm curious, in which book/paragraph does Aristotle say so?

October 14, 2011, 03:15:02 AM
SIdereal, I agree with you that we have progressed enormously in knowledge since the absurd superstitions of early civilization thanks to science. But I believe, as you mentioned, we lack a holistic understanding of the world and our place in it while early cultures did not, and science, a cornerstone of the modern worldview, is partly responsible. The compartmentalization of different facets of knowledge within science is part of this, but also the hubris science instills in man. It makes man feel he is the arbiter of his own destiny, that he is the master of nature, when in reality it is nature who is master of him. This hubris also makes man feel as though all the mysteries of the universe are unraveled, thus killing a reverential understanding of reality.

Are there nubmers 'in' nature... or do we represent nature with numbers which just happens to work?
It's kind of both. The universe is made of patterns and numbers symbolize those patterns. Our minds, being part of the universe, manifest those patterns symbolically, using numbers, among other symbols. Animals have basic quantity measuring ability so it seems our multiplicitous universe caused us to evolve the capacity for numbers which we in turn observe in our environment

I'm curious, in which book/paragraph does Aristotle say so?
It's just what I was taught in my critical thinking class. However, some searching turned up this: The Nicomachean Ethics scroll down to The Supreme Good

October 14, 2011, 04:55:53 AM
SIdereal, I agree with you that we have progressed enormously in knowledge since the absurd superstitions of early civilization thanks to science. But I believe, as you mentioned, we lack a holistic understanding of the world and our place in it while early cultures did not, and science, a cornerstone of the modern worldview, is partly responsible. The compartmentalization of different facets of knowledge within science is part of this, but also the hubris science instills in man. It makes man feel he is the arbiter of his own destiny, that he is the master of nature, when in reality it is nature who is master of him. This hubris also makes man feel as though all the mysteries of the universe are unraveled, thus killing a reverential understanding of reality.

Are there nubmers 'in' nature... or do we represent nature with numbers which just happens to work?
It's kind of both. The universe is made of patterns and numbers symbolize those patterns. Our minds, being part of the universe, manifest those patterns symbolically, using numbers, among other symbols. Animals have basic quantity measuring ability so it seems our multiplicitous universe caused us to evolve the capacity for numbers which we in turn observe in our environment

Cool article. It's amazing that evolution gave us these basic abilities to survive, feed, fuck and kill and they have combined and exploded into modern man with the ability to send man to the moon and predict environmental collapse years into the future, art, literature, etc.

Regarding science. Can you call the expression, say, nordic pagans had of their reality, embodied in the world-tree, as "understanding". That's anthropomoprhisising the world, and while it may get you by and keep you happy happy, its not reality. Life is tragic in some sense because when we develop the abilities to grasp reality more fully, we see our tiny tiny place in it. It's either (a) stay in the dark, or (b) expose yourself to existential nihilism.

Also, I think the best scientists have a profound reverence for the universe, and understand the limits of science (somewhere around the big bang, and certain points along the way such as the origin of organic molecules (life)). Don't confuse the proles with science....

October 14, 2011, 12:50:12 PM
It's just what I was taught in my critical thinking class. However, some searching turned up this: The Nicomachean Ethics scroll down to The Supreme Good

Do you accept anything you are taught in your critical thinking class?

Can you please show me where Aristotle is saying what you attribute to him, viz., that mankind's knowledge ascended higher and higher towards Truth with he passage of time?

October 18, 2011, 01:13:07 AM

Do you accept anything you are taught in your critical thinking class?

Can you please show me where Aristotle is saying what you attribute to him, viz., that mankind's knowledge ascended higher and higher towards Truth with he passage of time?
I took this class at an expensive liberal arts school where professors are well-paid; I thought them to at least be competent in in simple things like factual accuracy, but apparently that's too much to ask for. My apologies, but it appears Aristotle doesn't make this claim verbatim, anywhere.

October 21, 2011, 01:49:23 PM
once man stand in middle of road

he get hit by car and die

October 21, 2011, 10:53:12 PM
man who walk in front of car get tired

man who walk behind car get exhausted