Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Guitar Gear/Rig

Guitar Gear/Rig
October 04, 2011, 03:10:39 AM
METAL DISCUSSION ONLY. Refrain from posting gear related to jazz-playing, for example.

Which guitars do you prefer? Which amps? Pickups? Etc.

Also, what are your thoughts on the 6505 1x12 combo? For the price, it seems to be a steal. Just replace the speaker with an Eminence Legend, and you have a metal beast.

Re: Guitar Gear/Rig
October 04, 2011, 03:22:16 AM
In my experience, the quality of the actual strings is significantly more important then what model of guitar or amp you are using. I try to go for the thickest gauge possible and usually change my strings every 2 weeks or so. I haven't tried out many brands, but I usually get a terrible "friction" and sound from Ernie Ball Slinky strings (the brand with the eagle and yellow packaging). Right now im using Dean Markley's and getting an excellent sound from them.

October 04, 2011, 03:24:28 AM
Right now im using Dean Markley's and getting an excellent sound from them.

Blue Steel? I hear they kick ass. I have yet to try some though.

October 04, 2011, 03:31:24 AM

"Jazz Nickel Steel Electric Guitar Strings" - fantastic, extremely bright sound. I haven't tried Blue Steel either, i'll keep an eye out next time I need to go on a string haul.

October 04, 2011, 03:41:39 AM

"Jazz Nickel Steel Electric Guitar Strings"

I'll check those out. Do you have any preference towards certain types of pickups?

October 04, 2011, 11:25:09 AM
This has been hashed-out here innumerable times, as one might imagine. It all comes down to what sound YOU are looking for/prefer, what guitar feels right for you, what amp/speaker combo works for recording, for live performance, etc. In other words, the variables are manifold, and tastes differ from player to player.

For myself, I still prefer what I call a "classic" thrash/speed metal guitar tone(think early Metallica, Possessed, Pestilence, Asphyx, Morpheus Descends, etc.) with heavily saturated distortion(Boogie-Rectifier tone/Celestion V30speakers) or similar. EMG active pick-ups do agreat job there, I like GHS "Boomer" strings - guitars are less critical if you ask me, so long as it stays in tune and fist you well.    

Oh, and I imagine the 6505 Peavey combo is excellent as all in that line are. They usually possess monstrous gain potential and sound gigantic...just how I prefer it for Death Metal particularly.

October 04, 2011, 08:12:03 PM
This has been hashed-out here innumerable times, as one might imagine.

I know, but this is something that can be discussed more frequently, as site traffic perpetuates.

For myself, I still prefer what I call a "classic" thrash/speed metal guitar tone(think early Metallica, Possessed, Pestilence, Asphyx, Morpheus Descends, etc.) with heavily saturated distortion(Boogie-Rectifier tone/Celestion V30speakers) or similar.

I concur. However, I am looking to get something that can be played in a dorm. I am pretty sure that the 6505 1x12 is fine when volume is turned to 1 or 2. From my experience, a dual-rectifier isn't going to work due to the volume. What do you think?

October 04, 2011, 09:29:26 PM
This has been hashed-out here innumerable times, as one might imagine.

I know, but this is something that can be discussed more frequently, as site traffic perpetuates.

For myself, I still prefer what I call a "classic" thrash/speed metal guitar tone(think early Metallica, Possessed, Pestilence, Asphyx, Morpheus Descends, etc.) with heavily saturated distortion(Boogie-Rectifier tone/Celestion V30speakers) or similar.

I concur. However, I am looking to get something that can be played in a dorm. I am pretty sure that the 6505 1x12 is fine when volume is turned to 1 or 2. From my experience, a dual-rectifier isn't going to work due to the volume. What do you think?

So, by dorm I presume you are basically looking for a practice amp, no? I'd say the 6505 is way more amp than you need - and more money too, of course. If it's just for dormroom practice I'd go with a solid-stae or "modeling" amp like those by VOX for instance that are affordable and sound quite good, really. On a side note, I was simply using the Rectifier reference as a tone comparison, not a recommendation - unless you have a ton of cash laying around and need a half-stack, etc!

October 04, 2011, 11:28:05 PM

October 05, 2011, 12:35:20 AM

Unless I'm misunderstanding, couldn't you just buy some headphones to plug into the amp?

October 05, 2011, 02:02:32 AM
...and fist you well.  

Oops - well, just the same if you must fist...fist well!!!!

October 07, 2011, 12:54:13 AM

Unless I'm misunderstanding, couldn't you just buy some headphones to plug into the amp?

Yes, but I hate the sound.

October 13, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

D'addario XL and forget about the rest. They are hands down the best for downtuning.

October 13, 2011, 11:20:34 PM
I've found D'addario strings (at least for guitar) to be temperamental. Sometimes I'll have a set of strings which can handle the abuse of my ludicrously fast right hand picking, other times they'll break in a week. But, they're priced reasonably, making them somewhat ideal.

Blue Steel strings are fan-fucking-tastic. For my 5 string bass, I was gifted a set of them and I must say the whole shebang was together. Excellent tone, very comfortable, bright sound, handled different tunings quite well. They're a bit pricey. I've been wanting to try out Jerry Only's bass strings (not sure what they're called).

I currently own a Squier P-bass (my first string instrument), a Yamaha 5 String bass, an Ibanez Gio guitar, and a BC Rich Warlock guitar (which I use for downtuning). 

October 24, 2011, 04:54:07 AM
I only downtune one whole step (Obituary) at most. Otherwise, one-half step is sufficient (Deicide, Morbid Angel, Slayer). I don't downtune one of my guitars at all. I suppose that gives me options, as I care more about the vibrance and sound than longevity of strings.