Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Demigod of hipsterdom dies at 56

Demigod of hipsterdom dies at 56
October 06, 2011, 12:01:32 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/apple-says-steve-jobs-has-died/2011/10/05/gIQALGtSOL_story.html

Will Apple remain a redundant trendmaker to computing or do something useful for a change?

Re: Demigod of hipsterdom dies at 56
October 06, 2011, 12:12:07 AM
HOOOOLLLLLLYYYYY SHIT, and this is the day my band is coming together as a lineup. The signs have aligned.

October 06, 2011, 12:31:55 AM
Saddest day ever :-(

He did more than 99%

October 06, 2011, 01:00:59 AM
The AIDS was strong in this one...

October 06, 2011, 01:30:08 AM
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked.

...yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away.

October 06, 2011, 01:55:39 AM
Haha, people on FB are calling him the most important man in computer technology to ever live. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There are also comparisons to Edison

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

October 06, 2011, 02:34:48 AM
Haha, people on FB are calling him the most important man in computer technology to ever live. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There are also comparisons to Edison

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Our counter-attack << For those of you on Facebook, be sure to join and share this page with your friends.

October 06, 2011, 04:46:46 AM
Sorry to disappoint you further, but Jobs was also an elitist:

I found that there were these incredibly great people at doing certain things, and you couldn't replace one of these people with 50 average people. They could just do stuff that no number of average people could do.

small and medium-sized teams of these [very bright] people can accomplish extraordinary things and run circles around large large teams of normal people.

Philosophically, he was also somewhat Neoclassical

I've never believed that they're separate. Leonardo da Vinci was a great artist and a great scientist. Michelangelo knew a tremendous amount about how to cut stone at the quarry. The finest dozen computer scientists I know are all musicians

October 06, 2011, 05:54:08 AM
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked.

...yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away.

Soon to be a demigod of anus.com-ian New Rightist Traditionalists.

October 06, 2011, 06:20:25 AM
Sorry to disappoint you further, but Jobs was also an elitist:

I found that there were these incredibly great people at doing certain things, and you couldn't replace one of these people with 50 average people. They could just do stuff that no number of average people could do.

small and medium-sized teams of these [very bright] people can accomplish extraordinary things and run circles around large large teams of normal people.

Philosophically, he was also somewhat Neoclassical

I've never believed that they're separate. Leonardo da Vinci was a great artist and a great scientist. Michelangelo knew a tremendous amount about how to cut stone at the quarry. The finest dozen computer scientists I know are all musicians
I don't doubt he said these things, but I'm curious where these quotes were taken from.

October 06, 2011, 02:19:41 PM
The death quote was from his Standford commencement, the others were here: http://allaboutstevejobs.com/being/3-work/3-work.html

The website could be inaccurate, and I know he was a major hipster. He seemed to be pretty smart though (about some things). He was also a work-aholic, selfish, and very "consumer product" focused, I suppose making him a perfect modern demi-god.

Supposedly his biological Grandfather was Syrian and rich, owning large amounts of land. If true, it could explain some things (vs being raised by working class parents).  Would being so "pale" yet from Syria indicate aristocracy?

http://www.iphone-release.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Steve-Jobs%E2%80%99-biological-father.png

October 06, 2011, 11:15:08 PM
Use Windows, get virus and corrupt hardrive

Use OSX, get HIV and die.                                                                             

October 07, 2011, 12:48:36 AM

Use Linux.

October 07, 2011, 05:03:14 AM

Use Linux.

Use Ubuntu and become HIV++ :)

October 07, 2011, 12:59:19 PM
We should all revert to Microsoft Bob.