Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Books and other literature

Re: Books and other literature
September 23, 2006, 09:24:58 AM
Nothing ends a thread like a definitive list! While that list is important, it gives people too many options. Interesting little paradox to information there...

Are there five books that people can start out with, preferrably something offered in easy cheap paperback ($3.99) by Barnes and Nobel or Borders or Dalton's or another bookstore that can be found five miles away from any modern home?

I'd offer...

The poems of William Blake

The Poems of John Keats

Lyrical Ballads by William Wordsworth

Selected Poems of Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Collected Poems of Ezra Pound

The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot

Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe

Poems by John Milton

This list is a mix of Romantics and moderns because they both write about the same thing: getting back to transcendental reality so we can enjoy life instead of serving illusions like immortality. But maybe there's more.

Personally, I like to read, especially on Saturday nights. When every other idiot is out there in some bar caring what his or her shallow "friends" think, or worrying neurotically about how to bring someone home for the night, I'm free in my imagination. Try it sometime.

Re: Books and other literature
January 27, 2011, 04:45:12 AM
"Author. (Year) Book"
Hockenbury, Don H. & Hockenbury, Sandra E. (2011) Discovering Psychology (5th Ed.)
Coopman, S. J. & Lull, J. (2009)  Public speaking: The evolving art
McGee,  Richard L. & McGee, Joan B. (2010) Music to Your Ears: An Introduction to Classical Music
Feinberg, Joel & Shafer-landau, Russ. (2007) Reason And Responsibility: Readings In Some Basic Problems Of Philosophy

Can anyone give me a resource to get these college books? If not, I can borrow them from some idiot in my class, but I don't like to have to rely on some people.