Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Social experiment ideas

Social experiment ideas
October 18, 2011, 11:23:24 PM
Now that i am at a point in my life when i'm  not concerned with using people for my benefit through accumulating mass friendships, i would like some ways to study people.
one easy one to do is through masochistic self degradation. make yourself ugly, overweight, sick, or something that offers no benefit to others. see how they treat you. take notes.
another one to do would be to dress or act strangely around people. study their reaction. the outcomes of these experiments would seem obvious but it is really something else to experience it for yourself.
if you want to study male/female dynamics try singing up for a message board as a female and post pictures of a female and see how they respond to you or if you get a lot of private messages. 
what else?

Re: Social experiment ideas
October 18, 2011, 11:43:04 PM
Go around in clothing which makes you look like you despise the very fabric of everyone else's existence and see how they respond to you.

Oh wait.

October 19, 2011, 01:51:20 AM
An old classic:

Well, guys, let me lay it all out for you.

For as long as I can remember, I have had a problem with my weight. My entire family is 'big'; it's a combination of genetics and poor nutrition.

Both my parents work full time to support the family, so dinner, for us, was all too often ordered from Pizza Hut, McDonalds, KFC or any other cheap and greasy fast-food joint. Often I would go for months without so much as laying eyes on a vegetable. Hey, I was a little kid-and isn't it every kid's dream to eat McDonalds everyday? I didn't know any better.

By the time I started kindergarten, I weighed over 120 pounds. Kids at that age are vicious little savages, and being fat makes you an irresistable target for the wolves. I was nicknamed 'Tubby', 'Sausage Legs', 'Patty the Fatty' and worse. I was always picked last at sport. Sometimes, my teachers would look at the lunch my mother packed for me (fast food leftovers, Twinkies, Coca Cola, Little Debbie snack cakes) and ask me if I was 'really going to eat all that?'. When even the teachers put in subtle jabs at your weight, it is hard to get much lower.

My depression spiralled out of control, pushing me to eat even more. It was the only thing that sustained me. Food never judged you, never called you fat, never picked you last for soccer. Eating was fun! It made me feel happy.

Fast forward to senior year of high school. I was 5'10'' and weighed 410 pounds. I need to wear an oxygen mask before going to bed or I'll die from sleep apnea. I need the help of my father and a 'obesity living assistant' to take a bath. I've given up trying to find pants with a waist of 44; I just wear XXXL sweatpants and XXXL Hanes t-shirts (I'm always hot, so I rarely need to wear anything more than that). My shoes are custom fitted for me. They have to be, since my feet are almost as wide as they are long. Just walking up the stairs to my bedroom leaves me out of breath. Perhaps the worst part of it all is that I was no longer able to fit into the front seat of my Honda Civic and my family could not afford to get a bigger car. I essentially became bed-ridden. Needless to say, high school had been a living hell. I had never dated, never gone out with friends and spent most of my lunch-periods avoiding the varsity lacrosse team. They thought it was just hilarious to bounce lacrosse balls off my doughy, undulating man-breasts. However, these schoolyard sadists were only a foreshadowing of what was to come...

However, there was ONE bright, shining point of hope: COLLEGE! You can transform yourself in college! Lose weight, get laid, party, party, party! The summer after my graduation, I kept telling myself: Once you get into college, you're going to have the freedom and the time to thin up! Be more outgoing! Get a GIRLFRIEND!!!! Of course, I was also looking forward to the intellectual stimulation of college. I recieved a rather prestigious undergraduate scholarship in mathematics and computer science from the University of Virginia. Finally, I wouldn't be mocked for spending my Saturday nights spitting out code or reading up on the latest findings in Topology Today.

Well, fuck it. I was dead-wrong about college. Dead-wrong.

On August 1, 2004 I arrived at 'Mr. Jefferson's University', weighing in at hefty 440 pounds, but, for the first time in my life, optimistic about the future. A new start was just around the corner...I could barely wait! My roomie turned out to be a computer science g33k just like me...he loved Everquest and collected old Altairs. How cool was that? The people on my hall (in the honors dorm) seemed much more friendly and open than anyone in high school. Maybe, for the first time, people would look pass my layers of marbled fat and see the person underneath.

On just my second night there, Gregg, one of the 'cooler' kids in the honors dorm, invited me to a frat party. Wow...my first frat party! My first party ever, actually. You bet that I accepted his invitation in a second!

Gregg told me the brothers were really great guys-jocks, but smart, too. They were even looking for new members. As we walked towards Frat Row, Gregg pointed out the biggest, most impressive mansion on the street.

'There, that's it. Sigma Chi. Let's go party!'

Gregg and I walked right into the foyer. The door was unlocked. Even more surpising, there were no lights on in the house. Gregg assured me that we were just early, and that the party were start momentarily. He then ushered me into a large room just off the main hall and....

Suddenly, the lights snapped on! I was surrounded by at least thirty bulked out, intimidating lacrosse thugs. They were fully decked out in gear, each casually twirling a lacrosse stick in their thick arms.

I looked on in abject horror as Gregg was handed his own lacrosse stick and joined in the circle.

'GET THE FATTIE! GET THE FATTIE!' They suddenly began chanting in unison. They then unleashed a blistering torrent of rock-hard lacrosse balls at me. Orange polyurethene spheres, each weighing 12 ounces and solid as rock, struck my unprotected body. My lip was cut, I was bleeding from the mouth. Welts and scars covered my dropping flesh. Even underneath my protective layer of lard, I felt immense, shooting pain. But it wasn't over yet. They then brutally mauled and sodomized me with their lacrosse sticks for at least an hour. By the end of this sick ritual, I was more dead thgan alive. And, finally, to add insult to injury, Gregg leaned down and whispered in my ear

'Don't report it, you fat faggot. Nobody will believe you.'

He was right. It was simply too outrageous. I retreated into my own inner world of Everquest and Krispy Kreme...which leaves me where I am today:

21 years old. 600 pounds. Maybe a month, maybe two (if I'm lucky) to live.

I'm going to die soon....and I just wanted my story to be put out there.

October 19, 2011, 02:13:31 AM
This sounds so original. You should totally write a book about your experiences as a social outcast.

October 19, 2011, 02:52:37 AM
Scourge....where the hell did you get that? Fucking fantastic, I was laughing all the way through; partially out of pity, but mostly out of sheer disdain.

DOESN'T TAKE MUCH TO LOOK ON THE INTERNET FOR GOOD EATING HABITS, FATASS.

In regards to the OP, one interesting social experiment I've found (mostly among randoms/acquaintances) is to continually ask questions. Eventually, by playing a sort of modern day Socrates, people will tend to crack under the pressure, eventually saying "I don't know man! fuck why do you have to ask all these questions???" Makes for good entertainment.

October 19, 2011, 04:45:50 AM
In regards to the OP, one interesting social experiment I've found (mostly among randoms/acquaintances) is to continually ask questions. Eventually, by playing a sort of modern day Socrates, people will tend to crack under the pressure, eventually saying "I don't know man! fuck why do you have to ask all these questions???" Makes for good entertainment.

Yes yes. It's quite interesting to see how many knee-jerk answers people give before they allow you to peek into their actual value deriving / decision making processes. Unfortunately, it often turns out to be a void, and this is what prompts said cracking.

October 19, 2011, 05:30:43 PM
What is the reason for accumulating mass "friendships", other than leeching from, or being leeched by them?

Social experiments are nothing more than an excuse to act like an idiot.

October 19, 2011, 07:43:02 PM
What is the reason for accumulating mass "friendships", other than leeching from, or being leeched by them?

You must be talking about punks.

October 21, 2011, 01:45:39 PM
Now that i am at a point in my life when i'm  not concerned with using people for my benefit through accumulating mass friendships, i would like some ways to study people.
one easy one to do is through masochistic self degradation. make yourself ugly, overweight, sick, or something that offers no benefit to others. see how they treat you. take notes.
another one to do would be to dress or act strangely around people. study their reaction. the outcomes of these experiments would seem obvious but it is really something else to experience it for yourself.
if you want to study male/female dynamics try singing up for a message board as a female and post pictures of a female and see how they respond to you or if you get a lot of private messages.  
what else?

try sodomy and its various extensions. ooh i have a massive theory right now

I'm not sure how massive the mass is but some people prefer to be on good terms with many people. Doing this is useful on a personal and group level, assuming you actually like people to begin with.

Social experiments would be good if you were doing good social experiments and not just acting like an idiot.