Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Should We Still Act Morally?

Should We Still Act Morally?
October 20, 2011, 04:00:23 AM
By necessity, we live and participate in modern society. Subject to this situation, do we still act "morally" - honest, upright, environmentally friendly - or do we act like "Jon Galt": non productive, dishonest, even disruptive (i.e. basically act like every other selfish modern individual).

In example, would it be more moral to ride a Bicycle/Prius to work, or to drive a giant Hummer and carelessly waste energy. The first appears more moral, but the later could have better long-term consequences (in theory): furthering along the inevitable.

Re: Should We Still Act Morally?
October 20, 2011, 06:39:20 AM
Sometimes I do get odd looks from people when I eat apples with a pocket knife, but it doesn't bother me that they are girly men who shudder at the notion of knowing the riddle of steel.

October 20, 2011, 01:14:56 PM
Sometimes I do get odd looks from people when I eat apples with a pocket knife, but it doesn't bother me that they are girly men who shudder at the notion of knowing the riddle of steel.

Post of forever. I don't think I have to come here anymore, because it's not getting any better.

October 21, 2011, 05:48:05 AM
The key to not being disappointed is to not expect anything. This is a public access forum with no rules regarding nonsensical posts.

As for the actual topic, it comes down to your own values. Driving a Prius isn't helpful to the environment in the long term, so I'd consider that a rather stupid point to raise. As for being honest and upright, I'd recommend it because of the following.

- People tend to be more receptive to what you have to say if you are known to be honest and straightforward.
- In my brain it makes more sense to work towards improving your community (through developing good relations with neighbors and the like)
- Being upright in actions (not being a drunkard, junkie, child molester, etc) seems to lead people towards being content rather than away from it.

Again, it comes down to personal values, you can be one of the mindless do-nothings or you can work towards something nice for yourself, your family, and your community.

October 21, 2011, 01:54:57 PM
Should we still use maths?

Not everyone knows maths, so I think we should just stop knowing it to pursue the inevitable.

One must at all time act according to ethics, must one not? The objection is that action for self (not some evolutionary abstraction of it, I mean real phenomenological action for self) does not, and should not count as moral. Rather this is rational behaviour.

One hypothesis is that all people have both a moral and a rational judgement cognitive processor, so they can act morally while still upholding the self. A well balanced person will thus act morally in a way which is rational.

October 21, 2011, 10:08:53 PM
The key to not being disappointed is to not expect anything. This is a public access forum with no rules regarding nonsensical posts.

You thought I was being sarcastic?

October 22, 2011, 03:05:16 AM

You thought I was being sarcastic?

Maybe I was mistaken, but I was under the impression that you were annoyed by my inane comment.

October 22, 2011, 10:09:22 PM
Defensive! He clearly thought it was funny. So did I. Probably a few others as well.

October 23, 2011, 01:27:05 AM
Well shits, I misread his original comment then. :( Time to go slay a wicked beast and win favor with Crom I suppose.

October 23, 2011, 01:42:48 PM
Subject to this situation, do we still act "morally" - honest, upright, environmentally friendly

Gosh, if life just existed in such simple questions!

You're asking whether we support a dying society or leech off it.

I think that's the wrong direction of question...

Instead: "How do I make something of my life so I have power to change events?"

This should be your only question.