Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Heavy metal does not cause depression or suicide

Heavy metal does not cause depression or suicide
October 22, 2011, 02:46:11 AM

The mainstream media establishment is attacking heavy metal again, just like they did in the 1980s, and this time they're using suspect "science" to claim heavy metal causes depression and possibly suicide:

A new study conducted by Melbourne University finds that teens exposed to heavy metal music are more susceptible to depression and suicide.

"Young people at risk of depression are more likely to be listening to music, particularly heavy metal music, in a negative way," said Dr. Katrina McFerran. - Guitar World

We know how this goes. The scared sheep demand a scapegoat. Heavy metal concerts get canceled, bonfires made of the CDs, and fans demonized. We've been there before. Fight back against this ignorance with truth:

Modern-day crusaders want to blame heavy metal and declare a witch hunt because these people want a scapegoat. They are afraid of the actual problems with our society because those are big and deeply-rooted problems. It's easier to blame heavy metal, burn a few records and then declare victory. It also does nothing to destabilize the problem or its causes. - "Does heavy metal cause suicide?" on Examiner.com

Join our Facebook page, Heavy metal does not cause depression or suicide to help show the world we're not going to take it anymore.

How does anyone, depressed or not, go about listening to any music, particularly heavy metal, in a negative way? The statement belies implied bias.

Many young people at risk of depression listen to heavy metal music. I wouldn't blink at such a statement even if it fails to show heavy metal, rather than bad breeding causing an ailing society that doles out doctorates to dunces, causes depression.

Join our Facebook page, Heavy metal does not cause depression or suicide to help show the world we're not going to take it anymore.

Who fucking cares if some mundanes try to cancel concerts? Holy shit does it fucking matter? If anything, having the mainstreamers picket and banish metal will make metal more risque and vogue for kids, thereby making it more popular.

I'm happy mainstream media is attacking metal, because metal in general is horrible, stupid and silly. Albeit, for reasons different than what they say.

To be honest, it's not a very strong attack. The science used is pretty weak and has the causation all backwards, or esle mistakes corelation for causation. The way they describe metal's affects on young people can also be applied to a mariad of other subcultures. Onle those with a vested interest are likely to take this seriously.

As far as public's perception of metal goes, it is no longer a unique threat to the youth of today.

If anything, having the mainstreamers picket and banish metal will make metal more risque and vogue for kids, thereby making it more popular.

Unfortunately, then it will all turn into Marilyn Manson or Dead Kennedys style "protest music"

Some of y'all are overreacting.
No one said that Heavy Metal CAUSES Depression and Suicide.
The dr. said, "...young people at risk of depression are more likely to be listening to music, particularly heavy metal music, in a negative way."  That is, the depressive will tend to seek music that confirms and accelerates their depression.  New headline: Being Depressed Causes You to Listen to Music in A Negative Way.

And hey, there's nothing depressing about these classics, shit is breezy like a spring morning:

"Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry
Happiness I cannot feel and love to me is so unreal
And so as you hear these words telling you now of my state
I tell you to enjoy life I wish I could but it's too late"
-Black Sabbath "Paranoid"

"I control your inward rage
You can't suppress your anger
I possess you, I'm your cage
You feel an urge to murder"
-Massacra "Enjoy the Violence"

"Churning sea of Absu
Place of weeping death
Tiamat, dark serpent
Lord of the morbid priests
Enraged with hate for god
The priests of chaos chant
From the book of the worm
They burn the symbols of christ

We spit on the virgin lamb
And mock the words he spoke
His ways not worthy of me
We choose to burn in the pits of hell"
-Morbid Angel "Abominations"

"Christ will rot, suffer in pain.
Nailed unmercifuly, grotesquely hung.
Gasping for air, collapsed lungs.
Stripped of vitality, suffocate..."
-Incantation "Blasphemous Creation"

"Icewinds Tears Drips On My My Unbeloved Soul
Coven Of Black Mist Sing For Me
Ceremonial Hymns Of The Purest Blasphemy
At One With The Earth
Alone With Light In My Eyes
The Ravens Circle Around My Tomb"
-Immortal "Frozen by Icewinds"

So, let's admit that Heavy Metal CAN be RELATED to depression and suicide.  That's why the shit is 'heavy'! High quality Metal is not child's play. It's a treacherous path not to be traversed by the faint of heart, the impressionable, the easily-confused, or people prone to depression and anxiety.  Those folks will miss the whole point, the Romantic/heroic/powerful/Realist shit.

Plus, the study probably blasted the poor fuckers with Slipknot, KoRn, Lamb of God, deathcore, and DSBM.  THAT's depressing!

I'm confused. If the media is nothing but a hive-mind for the peons, then why get all huffy?

If anything, having the mainstreamers picket and banish metal will make metal more risque and vogue for kids, thereby making it more popular.

Unfortunately, then it will all turn into Marilyn Manson or Dead Kennedys style "protest music"

I understand that, but still I must ask, why do you care what kids listen to?

Why care about anything?

BECAUSE IT ALL HAS CONSEQUENCES.

All of it.

Every bit.

Everything matters.

Nothing is off-limits.

Do you see now?

"Nothing is off-limits!!!! Except not caring what 12 year old girls listen to!!!"

Spergy silly threads like these are why people stop coming to ANUS.

"Everything matters"?

And here I was thinking that nothing "matters", except to us.

If EVERYTHING matters, then by extension, NOTHING matters.

So what if kids listen to shitty music. I know people who have listened and do listen to garbage, but at their core they're still good and honorable people. Granted this is limited to my personal experience, but I am sure there are other examples of this.

Which "nothing" are we talking about here?  The nothing that exists, or the nothing that doesn't exist?

Which "nothing" are we talking about here?  The nothing that exists, or the nothing that doesn't exist?

I was half being facetious with my claim; merely pointing out that saying "everything matters" is fallacious.

We shouldn't focus on "everything", at least not at first. Focus on what is vital to society, and then nitpick later once the larger issues have been sorted out.

If EVERYTHING matters, then by extension, NOTHING matters.

I don't agree. This isn't a question of equality of mattering, but of many details forming a bigger picture. Each one has a role to play. Even if some are interchangeable, every thing that is changed contributes to the alteration of the whole. Some things change naturally and keep the integrity of the whole; others are bastard alterations.