Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Music determines lifestyle

Death

Re: Music determines lifestyle
September 25, 2006, 10:13:22 AM
I'm close to starting a PhD

cool. in what?

September 29, 2006, 02:58:33 PM
Subject:       RE: Musical Taste Test -- Can we have more specifics than "Rock/Heavy Metal"?
Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:42:48 +0100
To:      "invertchrist" <invertchrist@yahoo.com>

Thanks for this. Unfortunately we had to leave out quite a few musical
styles as we are trying to recruit people from around the world. I had
to strike a balance between being comprehensive and not boring people
to death with musical styles they may not have heard of in their region
(e.g. just had an email from India asking what hip hop was!). Sorry if
your favourite wasn't included but thanks for your help all the same.

With best wishes,

Adrian
---------------------------------------
Adrian North
School of Psychology
Henry Wellcome Building
University of Leicester
University Road
Leicester LE1 7RH
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)116 229 7183
Internet: http://www.le.ac.uk/pc/acn5/acn.html

Response from eminent academic.

September 29, 2006, 03:22:55 PM

Interesting - so why are there 500 different varieties of Paki music?

September 30, 2006, 04:49:17 PM
Every damn town in the West has its own "exotic" restaurants now. If yours hasn't yet, don't worry and wait just a few months.

Gawrsh, the West hates itself! Anything but us. We can't offend, so let's bend over. Fresh white ass, up for takin'. Same mentality that goes with bands like Napalm Death and Cynic, come to think of it.

Death

October 01, 2006, 03:46:24 AM
I must admit I cannot really do something about this particular issue (the restaurants) ; but one thing to consider is that you can only destroy a building once it is erected. As long as a building is a mental plan, it is invincible. But every time something passes onto material reality, its only certainty is to be detroyed someday. This is true for all of what men created with their hands. Only thoughts, memories of the past, and will, can be eternal. If you don't build something with your will it is useless. No building I am complaining about was made with a will that I should fear. They are empty. But more people feel attracted to the void than not.

Wow, that's like, so deep.

Save it for your livejournal, faggot.

October 01, 2006, 01:22:29 PM

cool. in what?

Astrophysics.

I'm surprised he responded to an email account that reaks of troll. Although younger academics are more likely to reply to anyone and spread their ideas further - they have more to prove.

The response given is the sort of response that I expected. He only has so much time to spend upon research. In future he and/ or others may elaborate on the various sub-genres of music. I see it as a gradual process but I'm optimistic of the progress being made. I still believe that Sam Dunn made a good quality film about metal from an sociological stance, even if his later works suck, good progress is being made.

I suppose none of us in this thread have really touched upon the thread title: "Music determines lifestyle". I believe it is massively influential but ultimately only a moron allows music to dictate their sense of fashion and how they live. Living as a nihilist (non-fatalistic type) does not necessarily come as a direct result of listening to metal - the influence exists but you need to be smart enough to understand nihilism before you can adopt it as an intellectual tool.

Living as your sister does, however, is a common result of listening to emo. Ergo lifestyle is determined by music in this case. ;)

October 01, 2006, 03:34:16 PM

Probably because they assume multiculturalism worked so well that everyone has heard it. Which isn't far from reality. Every damn town in the West has its own "exotic" restaurants now. If yours hasn't yet, don't worry and wait just a few months.

I'm not sure the comparison really works.  The Western taste for 'ethnic' food is originated in the colonial era and is a direct consequence of the imperial experiment.  'Exotic' restaurants cater in general to a market that is anything but exotic.

The dozens of Indian and Pakistani musical forms on that list, on the other hand, are produced almost entirely for consumption by people within those communities.

My question is this: why are Indian and Pakistani musical forms to so vastly overrepresented, not only in relation to the size of these communities in Western nations, but in comparison to their share of total album sales.

October 02, 2006, 12:28:37 PM
"Music determines lifestyle". I believe it is massively influential but ultimately only a moron allows music to dictate their sense of fashion and how they live. Living as a nihilist (non-fatalistic type) does not necessarily come as a direct result of listening to metal - the influence exists but you need to be smart enough to understand nihilism before you can adopt it as an intellectual tool.

It's the other way around. Because you're a nihilst, you can understand and create metal music. If you're not you end up sounding like Nirvana (fags).

October 02, 2006, 01:19:37 PM

It's the other way around. Because you're a nihilst, you can understand and create metal music. If you're not you end up sounding like Nirvana (fags).

I grew up on Classical music not Metal. So am I being pedantic if I say that I was born as a romantic, if slightly directionless, but re-evaluated my values when I met metal? It inspired the use of Nihilism as a tool and helped to focus/define my ideals in a lucid form. I already had a good sense of my how I wanted to live, the ideas merely became cemented into place.

October 04, 2006, 10:04:51 AM
Metal and other music has never had a substantial impact on my philosphy and direction in life. It's merely something that I invest time in for personal enjoyment. My personality does play a considerable role in what music I enjoy, though.  People look to music to shape their lives when they lack proper impetus for living .

October 04, 2006, 10:20:45 AM
I think anybody who listens to a lot of metal, especially past 30, was born to it.  And I bet they love horror movies, too.

Death

October 04, 2006, 11:20:19 AM
I think anybody who listens to a lot of metal, especially past 30, was born to it.

I think that anyone who listens to a lot of metal, especially past 30, is either a loser or a metal musician himself. The appeal of horror movies is totally lost to me but for some reason a lot of Pantera fans are fanatical about them.

Yashka

October 04, 2006, 05:15:29 PM
I think your lifestyle determines your deathstyle.

Death

October 04, 2006, 05:36:08 PM
I think your lifestyle determines your deathstyle.

keep up the great numetal axioms

Yashka

October 04, 2006, 08:43:24 PM
I will. Just for you, sweetcheeks.