Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

America as a culture

America as a culture
October 25, 2011, 02:21:43 AM
I recall reading on Amerika (I might be wrong, though I think this is coming from Brett Stevens) that there is a certain love for America, at least in theory. Now, I don't know American history (though plan on reading it in the future), but such a view would logically be consistent if there were an ideal America (either one existing in the past or a theoretical ideal) that differs radically from America in modernity. I don't expect an in-depth history lesson to rectify this hole in my knowledge, but perhaps someone could answer a few basic questions to satisfy my curiosity as this was on my mind at the time:

-Did the founding fathers have an idea of America that was consistent with ANUSian philosophy? If so, was this idea implemented and to what extent?

-A bit of an extension of the previous question: I recall a comment (most likely from Amerika again) which claimed that the American Dream was possible at a certain point in American history, but that it is now not possible. Is this an accurate statement? I don't live in America, but it seems to me (from afar at least) that the level of meritocracy currently in place, while not up to standards of natural selection, is still able to reward those who contribute and work hard (but again, I can't really say for sure since I am not directly part of that system). Certainly it often rewards those who should not be rewarded and makes it difficult for those with something real to contribute, but if I were to pick a discipline and work hard, I should expect some fitting reward in America? Perhaps another question would be this: In what ways does the system not reward those with real intelligence? (any particular examples would be interesting).

-An afterthought from the previous set of questions: Is the American Dream really worth fighting for? Seems like an individualist ideal to me: the freedom to be anyone you want, work hard and make lots of money. Or is Amerika/ANUS perhaps more for the idea of the American Dream in the context of a society which enables useful jobs to flourish?

-Amerika certainly seems to have an ideal America and that of course must involve a preference for the ethnic aggregate too. I am wondering, who exactly should be part of the ideal American society? All white people? I have heard that initial aggregate was composed of mainly Western Europeans and some Easterners. Was the result of the collections of these peoples a marked cultural difference in comparison to their respective European heritage? Could the ideal Amerika potentially contain more Eastern Europeans despite its original composition?

-What is to happen to all of those who are assimilated into modern American ways? Do they remain in America? They are 'cultureless', but after so many generations of assimilation, hold nearly nothing in common with the culture of their ethnic ancestors. Should they be allowed to die off somehow or forced to return to their country of origin? Or perhaps attempt to assimilate to those of their ethnicity within America? That is roughly what pan-nationalism is, if I'm not mistaken. Though the details elude me now as well as implementation from now to a future ideal of cultural homogeneity.

-Is the ideal America/Canada different from that of other countries with ethnic homogeneity in the sense that the ideal of the former contains peoples of various ethnic backgrounds living together but governed as respective ethnic groups within the country? Perhaps pan-nationalist philosophy covers this, but I'd like some clarification on this matter.

-What is American culture (I'm not talking about modernity here, by the way), how is it different to the culture of its initial ethnic aggregate and why is this particular permutation of culture valuable/worth preserving?

Re: America as a culture
October 27, 2011, 03:39:44 PM
87 views and not so much as even a lazy redirection towards an amazon link for a book? I wouldn't mind book recommendations either, that's kind of why I'm here as well.

October 27, 2011, 03:42:30 PM
I just got mugged (and I think I'm suffering from a traumatic head injury) but as far as I can tell American culture is just an excuse to be selfish and irresponsible.
I don't know about you guys, but I love my under-120s. They're so cute and funny. Just yesterday one stole my GPS unit and another one took a dump in my yard. Ha ha, they're such cards.

October 30, 2011, 09:32:37 PM
Old American culture was English with a huge dose of German and Dutch (yes, the Dutch built a huge amount of this country). It was basically North European, including some Scots. Then they let in the Southern Europeans, Irish (potato hottentots), Semites and Eastern Europeans (flatface quarter Asians).

After that, we got the whole melting pot dogma... that happened just before the Civil War.

Old American culture is really decent. It's similar to what you find in middle class neighborhoods in the UK, Scandinavia, Germany or The Netherlands.

Nu-American culture is "do whatever you want, so long as you believe in equality and have money." It's not American, it's not culture, it's politics...a positively Soviet egalitarian circle-jerk.

October 31, 2011, 01:06:37 PM
Old American culture was English with a huge dose of German and Dutch (yes, the Dutch built a huge amount of this country). It was basically North European, including some Scots. Then they let in the Southern Europeans, Irish (potato hottentots), Semites and Eastern Europeans (flatface quarter Asians).

After that, we got the whole melting pot dogma... that happened just before the Civil War.

Old American culture is really decent. It's similar to what you find in middle class neighborhoods in the UK, Scandinavia, Germany or The Netherlands.

Nu-American culture is "do whatever you want, so long as you believe in equality and have money." It's not American, it's not culture, it's politics...a positively Soviet egalitarian circle-jerk.

Believe me, middle class neibourhoods in the UK, Scandindavia, Germany or The Netherlands are not even a little bit decent.
In a state of permanent Abyss

November 08, 2011, 12:56:48 AM
Believe me, middle class neibourhoods in the UK, Scandindavia, Germany or The Netherlands are not even a little bit decent.
Where is decent then? The western world has it's issues but a few weeks in central America will have you appreciating it's virtues, and they are worth protecting.

November 08, 2011, 03:27:24 AM
It could just be a romanticized view I have, but the town I grew up in was an otherwise decent town of good standing people and strong morals. It is completely degraded now. I took a bike ride through the area a few months ago and happened acrossed a middle school billboard stating, " diversity packets due Friday." Which can only mean one thing, kids spewing out whatever globalist one world bob marley bullshit that their teachers fed them. As if kids that you could understand the social and political ramifications of diversity.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

November 08, 2011, 03:19:26 PM
If America has a soul, it can be found in the folks throughout our history who were fed up with whatever cesspool they were in, moved to wilder country, and carved a life out of it for themselves and their family. 

Though it may not always be the case, for the time being such a lifestyle is no harder to achieve now than it was in 1800.
CLIMB MOUNTAINS FOR SATAN

November 09, 2011, 01:51:31 AM
That lifestyle is a luxury (of sorts) of life in America, vast expanses of wilderness sometimes immediately outside the boundaries of even large cities is something many modern city-dwelling Europeans would find exceedingly strange. A beautiful, enviable luxury.

"What is to happen to all of those who are assimilated into modern American ways? Do they remain in America? They are 'cultureless', but after so many generations of assimilation, hold nearly nothing in common with the culture of their ethnic ancestors. Should they be allowed to die off somehow or forced to return to their country of origin? Or perhaps attempt to assimilate to those of their ethnicity within America? That is roughly what pan-nationalism is, if I'm not mistaken. Though the details elude me now as well as implementation from now to a future ideal of cultural homogeneity."

I would like some elaboration on this. What is the place or fate of these people in the ANUSian view? I apologize if I'm painting a wide array of perspectives under a single brush, but being completely divorced from these issues the opinions expressed on this board tend to take on a certain homogeneity.

November 19, 2011, 01:08:43 PM
"Diversity packets due Friday"

But even that arises from basic decency. Who wants to treat non-whites badly? Not I.

It's just a broken method.