Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

DLA 3.0

DLA 3.0
October 26, 2011, 12:33:05 AM
DLA 0.9b:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970403051617/http://www.anus.com/metal/
http://web.archive.org/web/19990220082559/http://www2.anus.com/metal/

DLA 1.0:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050305115111/http://www.anus.com/metal/

DLA 2.0:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071228202158/http://www.anus.com/metal/
http://web.archive.org/web/20081217013328/http://www.anus.com/metal/

Now...

We plan for DLA 3.0

Our goal:

• To engender academic study of underground metal
  • To articulate a theory and culture of underground metal
  • To conserve and nurture that which endures
  • To popularize true metal values and deny false ones
  • To support all national and regional forms of underground metal

If you are interested in joining our effort, go here and sign up:

http://lists.amerika.org/listinfo.cgi/team-amerika.org

Re: DLA 3.0
October 26, 2011, 03:07:52 AM
Are you conjoining DM.org and DLA Archives?

Is Hessian a separate effort?

Are you using Wordpress?
Impale the Under-120's!

I've always enjoyed a little male bondage every now and then.
I like missionary because it allows me to watch her face as I strangle her.

October 26, 2011, 11:58:40 PM
Are you conjoining DM.org and DLA Archives?

Is Hessian a separate effort?

All three will be combined. We have three content streams:

(1) Archive: DLA material
(2) Webzine: Hessian/DM/Heidenlarm material
(3) News: DLA news blog material

October 30, 2011, 09:30:26 PM
Attention all users who care about this site and aren't merely here to bicker like OWS protesters and basement dwellers Chains, Eleison and Sidereal:

Right now people are deciding the new direction of the site.

This is your chance to influence it.

14 days from now will NOT be the time.

Got it?

Rot

October 31, 2011, 01:31:06 AM
I don't have a problem with the DLA blog other than the comments. They should be disabled or moderated. I don't know who the fuck would want that job, so just disable them. I've no idea what you have in mind for the future of the site but I'm guessing it has something to do with distancing itself from metal and the DLA?

October 31, 2011, 05:24:52 AM
Attention all users who care about this site and aren't merely here to bicker like OWS protesters and basement dwellers Chains, Eleison and Sidereal:

Right now people are deciding the new direction of the site.

This is your chance to influence it.

14 days from now will NOT be the time.

Got it?

Got it.

No one cares about the bloated, purple prose laden, pretentious nihilism blog posts. The academic ultra-elitist nihilism diatribes just end up alienating and boring most of the audience that finds this site. Most people that are interested in nihilism are interested in the pedestrian version of it, not the nigh unreadable ridiculously esoteric and eye-rolling shit I find all over this site.

October 31, 2011, 06:00:57 AM
Just to be clear, he was in favor of deleting the DLA blog (found on the sidebar of anus.com/metal)  , the nihilism blog (sidebar of anus.com) , or both?

October 31, 2011, 03:43:31 PM
I cast my vote for deleting the anus blog. The majority of the posts are light versions of the same stuff found in every alt-right blog out these days. I'm almost positive that I can find the same content at any given day at amerika.org if I were so inclined. The anus blog repeats itself far too much showing a complete lack of inspiration. Much of what is said, has been said. Maybe 3% of posts are insightful and fresh, usually in regards to a study conducted. The articles themselves should be the focus, perhaps it's time to promote user contributions. In respects to the DLA I see a few areas of improvement. The DLA should build a real world community if it takes itself and metal seriously. Organize events, put on shows, book artists who deserve recognition over the cash cows. Afterall, the internet is a tool, use it to build something. Review more material. Set a publication standard for all submissions, and put more out there. The blog is good but it mainly serves as advertisement.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

October 31, 2011, 04:16:52 PM
nigh unreadable ridiculously esoteric and eye-rolling shit

Care to point me towards some of this?

October 31, 2011, 05:39:20 PM
Instead of focussing only on metal music, you could focus on all (good) genders of music, especially classical music. Also, you could extend to other art forms like litterature and visual arts.
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” -Krishnamurti

''I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.''  -Hippolyte Taine

Phoenix

October 31, 2011, 08:51:16 PM
As you probably know, I support and applaud this move. I've joined the mailing list, but for now I'd like to mention a few points.

I would strongly encourage DLA 3.0 to, overarchingly, be utterly neutral and objective, though particular subjective sections of the website are certainly permitted as long as they don't necessarily bias the rest of the website. In my mind, little can be said about metal in a totally neutral or objective manner, so the entire point is to encourage various subjective sections to arise within the website. For example, I understand it's very difficult to maintain a blog with frequent and high-quality postings. But consider that the DLA has excellent Google page rankings, and there are many bloggers out there who may like to contribute. All metal blogs I can think of right now only feature content that coincides with the views of the larger website they're a part of... what about a blog with posts of a variety of authors who harbour strongly divergent views? I suspect you could attract numerous interesting authors this way, myself included. More broadly, you would not alienate potential readers for your website, because DLA 3.0 wouldn't have anything potentially offensive or unappealing in its manifesto, it would just encourage vigorous debate beyond the surface layer and stuff. Personally this is something I'm striving for with my own website (see sig), although I don't have time these days to work on it very much with school and all.

I'm disgruntled and tickled by the irony that the website with the best capacity and opportunity to truly pioneer online metal discourse and academic studies just happens to be the same website with a most peculiar view so isolationist and anti-cooperation. But metal teaches us that destruction is creation, so perhaps in your own views, perhaps you could destroy your map and find a new territory, in the chaos and flames of the very thing you despise you could find the best way to promote your own unique views, because people will listen more attentively, your message will be much louder and to more people, and you'll be publicly engaging your philosophical opponents in open and substantive discourse on DLA 3.0. Instead of forming a message and devoting so much time and effort to get it out to the masses and / or to the metal elite who might understand it, you can invite the masses and the elite in to your website, and if you truly believe your views are correct then surely you must believe they are persuasive enough such that the corner of DLA 3.0 dealing with them will be one of its most influential corners and can evolve and expand simultaneously while it integrates new people into it's movement; the only caveat is that your message may suffer if the reader is bombarded with so much BS, just like a totally deregulated capitalist market is not truly 'free', but obviously you still retain a degree of editorial authority to prevent BS from being posted on DLA 3.0 (which is different than from allowing views contrary to your own being posted). I often hear it promoted on these boards that we should not throw our hands in the air and declare the task of changing people's minds impossible, we should not cut ourselves off from the society we seek to change, rather we should bite the bullet and try as hard as we can to change it from within as well.

For what it's worth, if you do adopt a neutral, objective manifesto, if you're at all interested I'm quite certain I could integrate my website with yours if you wish, so you would have an information aggregator and other nice lists (books, documentaries, etc), though I also promised cooperation with an upcoming academic website in the future however I definitely think I could swing it; you have to understand it's very difficult for metal to be taken seriously academically in the first place, let alone in the medium of internet website and discussion forum, so it's crucial not to harbour alternative views overtly in your manifesto (this includes any significant relationship with Amerika.org). I am as alternative as they come, so I feel badly emphasizing this part, it's just that on a practical level it's a deal breaker. Also please note I in no way mean to hold my website on the same level as yours, I just would like to point out it deals with an area in its aggregator which seems to me to be highly complimentary and compatible with what you're trying to achieve.

October 31, 2011, 10:28:06 PM
{neutrality; objectivity; plurality}
These sound like really bad ideas.  I think the website should do the opposite.  There are already plenty of sites with divergent views and they all blow.  The DLA should promote its specific interpretation of Metal and nothing else.

Instead of focussing only on metal music, you could focus on all (good) genders of music, especially classical music. Also, you could extend to other art forms like litterature and visual arts.
This is an interesting thought, but seems a tad misguided.  The DLA is a Metal website.  It should probably stick to Metal and perhaps music with an immediate relationship to Metal.

In general: I'd advise being as cynical, closed-minded, and cruel as possible in the construction of this new site.

October 31, 2011, 10:33:17 PM
nigh unreadable ridiculously esoteric and eye-rolling shit

Care to point me towards some of this?

Good for you trying to bait me. Next time don't be so smug, you might pull it off.

Phoenix

October 31, 2011, 11:01:40 PM
{neutrality; objectivity; plurality}
There are already plenty of sites with divergent views and they all blow.

I'm not aware of any metal websites with significantly divergent views as well as substantive enough discourse to actually flesh out these differences. Sometimes different authors provide opposite sides but of the same coin, not really divergent. Could you point me to any if I'm missing them?