Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What is masculinity?

Re: What is masculinity?
November 08, 2011, 03:21:39 AM
When I was in sixth grade some other kid in the group intentionally spilled ink over my new sweatshirt. I chased him down the lunch area and beat the shit out of him. That has served as my reference point for masculinity.

November 10, 2011, 05:42:20 PM
Masculinity is never giving up on the big picture/long term - which can be for good or ill, on a case by case basis.  Contrast this to the feminine which is more capricious and more concerned with details.  This also can be for good or ill.  If something's not working, perhaps the feminine instinct can sense this quicker?

Also, the masculine is more apt to go it alone if need be, whereas the feminine needs teamwork and reassurance.  Again, there are upsides and downsides to these qualities given the context.

November 11, 2011, 03:48:23 PM
Masculine = go towards, go forth and conquer, expansive, risk taking, maximise gains, offend

Feminine = draw in, preserve what there is, protective, responsible, minimise loss, defend

This representation is probably a common one. Astrology uses it, in that the extroverted and introverted elements are made to correspond to the masculine and feminine. In any individual, and in any group of individuals on any level, both sides must be balanced.

November 12, 2011, 05:48:50 PM

Feminine = draw in, preserve what there is, protective, responsible, minimise loss, defend

Sounds like mainstream American conservatism.