Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Some truly spacey stuff

Some truly spacey stuff
November 06, 2011, 07:39:42 PM
"Scientific proof of life after death" -- 18 recorded lectures, about 15 minutes each.

http://hotfile.com/dl/134400093/82ad819/life_beyond_death.zip.html

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9QVDRUU9

Re: Some truly spacey stuff
November 07, 2011, 05:24:13 AM
I'm glad to see you're going in that direction, Conservationist. I'll check this out.

November 07, 2011, 07:24:33 AM
Going to listen to these now, but my instant reaction to what is suggested (that there is "scientific evidence for the survival of personal consciousness beyond death") is to say that such a thing is impossible - that which makes consciousness "personal" is the brain, and the memories stored in the brain.  If the brain dies and rots, there are no more memories.  Certainly, consciousness retreats from the deceased organism, and new hosts crop up all the time, but to transfer the memories (and thus the personality) of one organism to another would require the transfer of brains (which is most likely impossible, and certainly is so in this day and age).

However, dreaming a lot and taking a shitload of drugs have given me the idea that individual branches of consciousness might be grouped by the "personalities" of their hosts.  I'm sure that's totally legit, if entirely baseless.

November 09, 2011, 05:34:30 AM
Could somebody provide some information on these lectures before I download this? I have bandwidth limitations presently.  (i.e. name of lecture(s), organizations involved, etc.)

November 10, 2011, 09:55:39 AM
I'd be interested in a little summary, too.  Maybe some highlights?

November 15, 2011, 11:13:40 PM
I haven't listened to these, but I always like listening to this sort of stuff. "The outskirts of possibility" as I've heard Devamitra (I think) call it. Reminds me of "Unquestionable Presence" and the general atmosphere/feelings/thoughts behind it/thoughts induced by it.

Also, I should add...
1) I think we can accept that the mind reaches through no space, only existing through time. That provokes some thoughts.
2) We do survive in a sense by our genetics and thought-memes we pass onto other people.
3) reminds me of this Bill Hicks bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmzcroUmdU

November 16, 2011, 03:58:03 AM
1) I think we can accept that the mind reaches through no space, only existing through time. That provokes some thoughts.

I came up with a very basic thought experiment once, which was something along the lines of "imagine an entire, working, functional universe, which is bigger than ours; where is it?".  The answer, of course is that it's immaterial; it isn't anywhere, except "within the mind", which then suggests that the mind contains a space large enough to fit something larger than the universe in which that very mind is contained.  Of course, Physicalists will deny intuition in favour of saying that the "feeling" of something immaterial (i.e. a thought) arises from our brain's chemistry, blah blah blah.

November 16, 2011, 01:33:19 PM
I came up with a very basic thought experiment once, which was something along the lines of "imagine an entire, working, functional universe, which is bigger than ours; where is it?".  The answer, of course is that it's immaterial; it isn't anywhere, except "within the mind", which then suggests that the mind contains a space large enough to fit something larger than the universe in which that very mind is contained.  Of course, Physicalists will deny intuition in favour of saying that the "feeling" of something immaterial (i.e. a thought) arises from our brain's chemistry, blah blah blah.
I would go even further than that.  I claim you are actually incapable of conceiving of such a universe.  In fact, you can't even really comprehend our own universe.  The human brain just isn't equipped to deal with things of that magnitude.

November 16, 2011, 05:40:35 PM
There are more variables, outcomes and reiterations at work in the universe than there are in all human brains combined. We are grossly overrating consciousness itself. Human thought is just a tiny part of the universe waking up to take a look around for a bit.

November 17, 2011, 02:44:32 AM
"Human thought" is the same thing that causes this entire Universe to exist.  Consciousess/the immaterial is fundamental, not the physical.

November 17, 2011, 05:19:33 AM
There are more variables, outcomes and reiterations at work in the universe than there are in all human brains combined. We are grossly overrating consciousness itself. Human thought is just a tiny part of the universe waking up to take a look around for a bit.

I agree, but you are using your mind to grasp that concept.

November 17, 2011, 07:27:16 AM
you are using your mind to grasp that concept.
This is a self-evident statement.  What else would he be using to grasp the concept, a toaster?

"Human thought" is the same thing that causes this entire Universe to exist.  Consciousess/the immaterial is fundamental, not the physical.
Even if this point of contention is merely granted for hypothetical reasons, you're still incapable of conceiving of anything on the order of magnitude of a universe.  You can't even fully conceive of all the intricacies in a single blade of grass.

If you're going to use consciousness in that way, you are referring to something much greater than yourself to which you only have a tiny fraction of access.

November 17, 2011, 06:38:34 PM
I was just being boring as always.

November 19, 2011, 05:00:33 AM
I'm glad to see you're going in that direction, Conservationist.

I neither go nor do not go in any direction. I gather data. Sometimes, the cheesiest and least plausible data offers insight, both in what might be probable (cheesy data is almost always dumbed down from better sources) and what is obviously designed to pander to idiots. I found these rather spacey essays somewhat amusing.

November 19, 2011, 09:26:47 AM
You can't even fully conceive of all the intricacies in a single blade of grass.

... Yes I can?  I think you're misusing "conceive", here.  What you probably mean is "hold the entirety (i.e. all data of the object) in one's mind for a prolonged period of time", in which case, no, that's impossible, but to require such is misunderstanding the point of the thought exercise.

If you're going to use consciousness in that way, you are referring to something much greater than yourself to which you only have a tiny fraction of access.

True, though, I hear tell of certain procedures by which one might reverse one's perception and observe the origin of the "self".