Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Cynic reunite

TC

Cynic reunite
September 27, 2006, 06:38:03 PM
It's Official - CYNIC Reunite!
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 17:10:45

BW&BK has received the following press release:

Long-defunct Florida-based band CYNIC, whose 1993 album Focus is regarded as a landmark release in the field of technical/progressive metal, have announced plans to embark a reunion tour in the spring/summer of 2007, beginning with possible U.S. warm-up performances and culminating in a number of festival appearances across Europe.

The reunion lineup is as follows: Paul Masvidal - vocals/guitar, Sean Reinert - drums/keys, Tony Teegarden - vocals/ keyboards, Chris Kringel - bass, Santiago Dobles – guitar

Kringel, who replaces Sean Malone (who can't participate in the reunion because of teaching and work commitments) in Cynic's reunion lineup, has been involved with the band since the pre-Focus days and toured with the band in Europe in support of the CD. He also played bass on the classic and much-sought-after PORTAL demos and toured the UK with Paul and Sean's AEON SPOKE project. Teegarden also previously toured with Cynic in support of Focus, while Santiago — who is said to be "the man behind AGHORA" — has been around the Cynic camp since 1993-94 and was one of Masvidal's guitar students in Miami back in the day.

According to Masvidal, guitarist Jason Gobel was approached about participating in the reunion, but was forced to turn it down due to family and work commitments. However, he gave the rest of the group his blessings to proceed and is said to be "honored" to have Santiago as his replacement.

For more information on the Cynic reunion, visit the official web site at www.cynicalsphere.com. Booking, press and questions should be addressed to: cynicreunion@aeonspoke.com.

Re: Cynic reunite
September 28, 2006, 06:26:12 PM
No Sean Malone = failure

September 29, 2006, 01:27:04 PM
Focus was OK except for the vocals. I liked the guitar playing and some of the breakdowns but the songs were like ALL prog-metal, they had no spirit & were about nothing. No soul and no concept. I would not buy another Cynic album.
To report any abusive, obscene, defamatory, racist, homophobic or threatening comments, or anything that may violate any applicable laws, please send an e-mail to bmouth@bellatlantic.net  with pertinent details.

September 29, 2006, 10:23:16 PM
No Sean Malone = failure

I fail to see how the absence of a man who was just a session musician for “Focus”--the final piece of output from a band that had been together for six solid years--spells doom for this reunion tour. Are you really that much of a Sean Malone fanboy, or just ignorant of the above facts?

Focus was OK except for the vocals. I liked the guitar playing and some of the breakdowns but the songs were like ALL prog-metal, they had no spirit & were about nothing. No soul and no concept. I would not buy another Cynic album.

a)  Assuming that this isn’t a joke post, I can assure you that the songs on “Focus” most certainly are about something; perhaps you should peruse the lyrics next time before making silly assertions.

b) Cynic has one full-length album and five demos; in other words, they only have one album to buy.

September 29, 2006, 10:26:42 PM
Sean Malone and Tony Choy were always the most interesting parts of Cynic.

The rest is just 'meh'.

September 30, 2006, 03:46:59 AM
Nah, the most interesting were Masvidal and in particular Reinert. The Uribonic Forms demo (or whatever it was/spelt) ruled, then the album came out and it was disappointing to say the least. Crap vocals, shitty tone, held back drumming. Reinert was a monster on a couple of the demos but you'd hardly know it on the full length LP. He did better  work on Human IMO.
Gobel also contributed with the albums best solo.The last on the disc. (How Could I??)

September 30, 2006, 05:35:31 AM
Nah, the most interesting were Masvidal and in particular Reinert. The Uribonic Forms demo (or whatever it was/spelt) ruled, then the album came out and it was disappointing to say the least. Crap vocals, shitty tone, held back drumming. Reinert was a monster on a couple of the demos but you'd hardly know it on the full length LP. He did better  work on Human IMO.
Gobel also contributed with the albums best solo.The last on the disc. (How Could I??)

Agreed totally! I was a huge Reinert fan, as a drummer myself, his work was mind-boggling...then the CD came out and I was rather disappointed. His playing was still well beyond most, particularly at that time, but it did seems very restrained.
I also didn't care for the vocals for the most part. All in all, too "Prog" and, dare I say, "Happy" for me. Haven't listened to it in years...maybe it deserves another listen.

September 30, 2006, 01:41:48 PM
"Sean Malone and Tony Choy were always the most interesting parts of Cynic.

The rest is just 'meh'."

That is essentially my point.

TC

October 01, 2006, 09:15:03 AM
for you fans of Reinert, have you heart C-187?

October 01, 2006, 05:44:27 PM
for you fans of Reinert, have you heart C-187?

No...what is it like?

powers which mankind refuses to condone or conceive
beware what curiosity and ignorance breed
for what is not believed
may turn out to be your destiny

October 01, 2006, 11:19:36 PM
I'm giving this C-187 thumbs down. I might change my mind later.

TC

October 03, 2006, 11:38:59 AM
I'm giving this C-187 thumbs down. I might change my mind later.

i thought the same, but stick to thumbs down.  don't understand the purpose of some of it, or what they're going for.  the all-electronic drums are a turn off too.  don't know what year this stuff was produced, but that might help.

October 13, 2006, 08:32:45 PM
I agree that the later demos were great, but I love Focus as well.  It took a while for me to get used to the vocals, but I eventually actually embraced them.