Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Schopenhauer

Schopenhauer
November 13, 2011, 06:46:15 PM
can we just get a standing ovation for this guy please?
 On point about everything. He figured it out before Darwin did, through just pure thought. .
especially:
http://www.theabsolute.net/misogyny/onwomen.html

Re: Schopenhauer
November 14, 2011, 02:46:45 AM
There is no doubt that women are adapted to the things Schopenhauer mentions, but he is a victim of his time in ascribing to them inferior mental capabilities as a rule. The truth is not limited to a sex (or to statistics). There was a random post on this forum from (ostensibly) some middle aged female who spoke about how the DLA had affected her life. The virility and power in this music is something I once thought women may not be able to appreciate. No more.

November 15, 2011, 03:41:51 AM
That's the state of women in a Victorian setting. We need another on women essay for a liberal democratic era. I believe the kernel of their nature would remain much the same, although how it expresses itself on the surface may appear quite different between eras.

November 15, 2011, 03:53:48 AM
No, that's discriminatory against the differently-abled, morbidly obese, and lazy assholes.

That's the state of women in a Victorian setting. We need another on women essay for a liberal democratic era. I believe the kernel of their nature would remain much the same, although how it expresses itself on the surface may appear quite different between eras.
Surely the aggregate view of modern men's sites give us a clear perspective on this type of thing, no?

November 15, 2011, 06:00:48 AM
differently-abled

PC.

morbidly obese

Not PC.

lazy assholes

LOL

November 15, 2011, 10:42:48 PM
Surely the aggregate view of modern men's sites give us a clear perspective on this type of thing, no?

They're struggling on all men's behalf for equality with women. Excuse me while I simultaneously guffaw and puke at the state of men today. The Old Testament would be a better source for us than this.

November 16, 2011, 11:15:04 AM
 On point about everything. He figured it out before Darwin did, through just pure thought. .
especially:

Well, it was certainly a fine troll. The majority of people I know who know of Schopenhauer have heard of him through this essay.

I quite like most of what I've read from him. His metaphysics is excellent, though doesn't open the amount of territory that someone like Kant had. Nonetheless, I am not aware of anyone whose metaphysics has succeeded his, or how much implication his thoughts had.

Nietzsche probably beats him, but only because he himself had Schopenhauer as a literary educator.

November 16, 2011, 04:02:59 PM
he really nails it at some points and we see these things in real life too. interesting piece..

November 16, 2011, 09:30:01 PM
They're struggling on all men's behalf for equality with women. Excuse me while I simultaneously guffaw and puke at the state of men today. The Old Testament would be a better source for us than this.
Their ultimate goal(s) may be gay, but their analysis of the behavior of women (especially feminists) seems pretty dead on to me.

November 19, 2011, 12:59:31 PM

This is GNAA v0.1b

Schopenhauer wrote a lot of good stuff, but this was him hating on women because proto-feminism made them unbearable, starting with his cunt of a mother.

He was right and justified, but he even says this is only part of the story. He's just as harsh on men, and true to form, solutionless. Pure fuckin' intellect.

November 19, 2011, 08:50:50 PM
Most people who are familiar with Schopenhauer know him through the popular essays that T. Bailey Saunders translated and compiled, including the one mentioned in the OP. But these have mostly contributed to give the image of a cranky old fellow that hated women, noise and bad writing, while his unmeasurably more important work remains as an afterthought in philosophical discussion today. A monstruous injustice, given the value of his teachings.

But these popular essays are not without their worth. At least they serve as an introduction to the personality behind them, besides being good for a laugh or two. But any serious student of Schopenhauer should at least approach "The Fourfold Root..." and book one of the "The World as Will and Representation" in order to get a grip of his fundamental doctrine. One must also understand the "Critique of Pure Reason" fairly well before approaching these books, otherwise certain key concepts, such as the ideality of time and space and the deduction of the will as thing in itself, will remain very awkward and unclear. Both philosophers complement each other so well that I can't say who is better, and I think their respective teachings should be taken as one only, since they both correct and clarify each other.

As for Nietzsche...my opinion of him will certainly be unpopular on this forum, so I'll leave it in silence. Lets just say that if you appreciate your time, you'll go for Schopenhauer.

November 21, 2011, 11:38:39 PM
Nietzsche is an easy philosopher to read, and very popular, so he needn't be covered anyway. Read him as you please.

I haven't thoroughly read The World as Will and Representation, but the title itself is a powerful enough meme to tear most other philosophers to shreds. Reality is but the interaction between that which exists as object - that which is represented and that which acts in regard to this object - the subject which wills on it. With this single division, we may represent all of reality, supposedly.

November 22, 2011, 01:39:11 AM
my opinion of him will certainly be unpopular on this forum, so I'll leave it in silence.
This attitude kills me. What are we going to do, find you and beat you up? Speak your piece if you have a pair. What are these forums for anyway?

I doubt your opinion is as unpopular here as you think it to be. I've read pro-Schopenhauer/anti-Nietzsche postings on these forums more than once. I believe a article up in the ANUS has a comment to that effect as well.