Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Against the Modern Complacency

Against the Modern Complacency
November 16, 2011, 07:23:34 PM
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

- John Stuart Mill

Re: Against the Modern Complacency
November 19, 2011, 01:04:51 PM
True. Problem: the useless among us are the best at inventing excuses when a time for heroism arrives.

Next war, let's send the useless at the enemy. A long chain of hipsters, obese, drugged, slackers, wheelchairs and bureaucrats can march to die and no one will fucking miss them.

November 21, 2011, 04:13:35 AM
True. Problem: the useless among us are the best at inventing excuses when a time for heroism arrives.

Next war, let's send the useless at the enemy. A long chain of hipsters, obese, drugged, slackers, wheelchairs and bureaucrats can march to die and no one will fucking miss them.

Let me get this straight.

Are you telling people that my best friend is useless? My best friend, who is a wheelchair-bound ex-Army Ranger.

Because if that's what you're really telling people here, then I gotta tell you: get in line with 'em, "Conservationist", because you're useless. :)

November 21, 2011, 10:14:47 AM
I think he's thinking more along the lines of this guy.

December 05, 2011, 10:20:26 PM
Are you telling people that my best friend is useless? My best friend, who is a wheelchair-bound ex-Army Ranger.

Did you go to a community college, or the University of Texas?

I said you'd see a long line of people with many traits.

You're assuming the inversion, which is that everyone with one of those traits belongs in the line.

I think you're just looking for an excuse to be offended.