Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Subsidized pizzas for the poor are vegetables according to Republicans

WASHINGTON (AP) Who needs leafy greens and carrots when pizza and french fries will do?

In an effort many 9-year-olds will cheer, Congress wants pizza and french fries to stay on school lunch lines and is fighting the Obama administration's efforts to take unhealthy foods out of schools.

The final version of a spending bill released late Monday would unravel school lunch standards the Agriculture Department proposed earlier this year. These include limiting the use of potatoes on the lunch line, putting new restrictions on sodium and boosting the use of whole grains. The legislation would block or delay all of those efforts.

The bill also would allow tomato paste on pizzas to be counted as a vegetable, as it is now. USDA had wanted to only count a half-cup of tomato paste or more as a vegetable, and a serving of pizza has less than that.

Nutritionists say the whole effort is reminiscent of the Reagan administration's much-ridiculed attempt 30 years ago to classify ketchup as a vegetable to cut costs. This time around, food companies that produce frozen pizzas for schools, the salt industry and potato growers requested the changes and lobbied Congress.

School meals that are subsidized by the federal government must include a certain amount of vegetables, and USDA's proposal could have pushed pizza-makers and potato growers out of the school lunch business.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hZy7qHYu4-qXuTWRJm192734Gs6w?docId=6b9a38b3ae5c40979b7be9ba8f1ac176

Why not just let them starve? Seems more humane to me than a future of being a fat dumbass who works at McDonalds or is a criminal. If parents can't afford to have children then why should society help raise them anyway? Oh right, because we're all equal as long as we believe in the same god and pay taxes. Sure...

Why not just let them starve? Seems more humane to me
I would tend to agree with you, but most people just don't see it that way.  I think a more fundamental question is why are these kids being (allowed to be) born in the first place?  From a practical perspective, this provides much more appealing options.  People don't want to watch a child starve to death because it makes them feel bad.  However, if the kid is aborted before he's even born, nobody gives a shit (except a few Jesus freaks).

Democrats want more voters, Republicans are too broken and hypocritical to oppose.

Democrats want more voters, Republicans are too broken and hypocritical to oppose.

Good synopsis.

Since 1789 the right has been trying to find a way to be as popular as the left...

They need to quit it and focus on bread-and-butter. "Our shit works."

Liberals are delusional. A quick six week basic training and two years fighting a real enemy will cure them of that, if possible.

I say bring on the subsidized pizzas... and dose them.

this would be more affordable on a local level for the schools if the superintendents weren't making 6 figures. maybe i'll take republican claims about fiscal responsibility more seriously when they stop being so ardent about maintaining the superfluous defense budget. fuck lobbyists. maybe these shitheaded kids would be better off dead, but child genocide obviously isn't a feasible option. if you pull your nostrils out of the republicrats-with-a-right-wing-aesthetic's assholes for a second you can see that the problem isn't 'government control' or excessive cost, it's fucking greed. i would much rather have american kids eating healthy in school than see a mercedes benz in a faculty parking lot.

Defense budget? I thought the problem was millions of bureaucrats making six figures.

The defense budget produces most of America's technological advantage... you realize you're using a defense project now to communicate with the rest of us.

I don't see why we should be subsidizing the poor at all. Let natural selection clear out the weak, and send them to Brazil, Mexico, Iraq or China, where they need more gray people.