Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Emasculated youth subculture

Emasculated youth subculture
September 30, 2006, 03:09:46 PM
when i look around downtown and see the various youth subcultures, i see a great amount of emasculinated, feminine, or stereotype gay apearances, plenty of makeup and hair straighteners.

i understand the prevailing wisdom that "emo is gay", but i dont understand the impulse behind wanting to apear weak and feminine.

Re: Emasculated youth subculture
September 30, 2006, 04:48:05 PM
when i look around downtown and see the various youth subcultures, i see a great amount of emasculinated, feminine, or stereotype gay apearances, plenty of makeup and hair straighteners.

Dude, it's democracy and capitalism. Be harmless, even if you're being "offensive" like a mallgoth. Don't say anything hurtful. You will get paid. And maybe laid.

September 30, 2006, 05:27:09 PM
Alternative youth subcultures are lashing out against  a generalized youth culture that is typically seen by those pushed to its margins mindlessly anti-intellectual  in a stereotypically hypermasculine, jockish sort of way.  Because adolescents typically lack much in the way of subtlety as well as the sort of rhetorical toolbox that might allow them to make more precise conceptual distinctions, for many, the rejection of masculinity as a value becomes equated with the celebration both of their 'uniqueness' and their self-defined intellectualism.  

Where you see the big break in youth subcultures is between those that define themselves by some sort of idealism (metal and punk), which typically retain a strongly (if modified) masculinist stance, and those that define themselves in terms of their affirmation of personal identity and supposed intellectual superiority (goth and indie/emo), which tend to be highly feminized as a part of that affirmation.

October 01, 2006, 04:06:57 AM
i understand the prevailing wisdom that "emo is gay", but i dont understand the impulse behind wanting to apear weak and feminine.

Alot of this is because dudes are being raised as wusses by single mothers.  

October 01, 2006, 10:36:07 AM
I think every comment here is correct, from the initial post on! The younger generation(s) of males today are, by and large, disgracefully effeminate in thinking, mannerism and conduct. They are often weak and spindly or corpulent and ungainly.  
In fact, I have also witnessed a distictly homoerotic nature to many young males - look at nonsense like "Jackass" for example...their behavior, aside from being painfully juvenile and asinine is often laced with male nudity, groping and some sort of clear genital fixation in general.
Growing up back in the 70's & 80's my friends and I would have considered such bahavior undeniably and repulsively Gay.  
And yes, I think the single-mother syndrome has a fair bit to do with it as well. And to think, we call all of this progress...

October 01, 2006, 11:30:09 AM
Growing up back in the 70's & 80's my friends and I would have considered such bahavior undeniably and repulsively Gay.  

A shot of re-prospective. Kiss (to some extenet)...Disco....Motley Crue....Poison... David Bowie.... THe New York Dolls... Twisted Sister.... The Cure...... I can list more. All very popular through the 70's or 80's.   Like My Man Mahmoud, said, much of it being a particular reaction to over "pop-ed"  Jock images in the media/mass-culture.

Alternative youth subcultures are lashing out against  a generalized youth culture that is typically seen by those pushed to its margins mindlessly anti-intellectual  in a stereotypically hypermasculine, jockish sort of way.  Because adolescents typically lack much in the way of subtlety as well as the sort of rhetorical toolbox that might allow them to make more precise conceptual distinctions, for many, the rejection of masculinity as a value becomes equated with the celebration both of their 'uniqueness' and their self-defined intellectualism.  

Where you see the big break in youth subcultures is between those that define themselves by some sort of idealism (metal and punk), which typically retain a strongly (if modified) masculinist stance, and those that define themselves in terms of their affirmation of personal identity and supposed intellectual superiority (goth and indie/emo), which tend to be highly feminized as a part of that affirmation.

Thank you for that. That was with little doubt a near perfect evaluation.

October 01, 2006, 08:15:44 PM
man.....at least the real metal-heads act like people..............you know men=male, women=-female and so on..............

and as far as the gay thang goes.........it is definitelt a part of sub-cultures and to an extent a part of the rock movement .............androgynous looks were some of the more shocking aspects of 70's glam rock ..............

in my country, "gay" is person who gets fukced up the ass..................and the one doing the fukin is a normie :)

aimanirrajim

October 01, 2006, 11:10:56 PM
....................................i'm............................so fucking..............................unique.........................check out the...........................dots!!........................man.........................emo..............G....................A.....................Y

October 02, 2006, 12:26:48 PM
The article Metalist posted answers the question raised here. Most youth cultures sell out because they are in fact sold out. Metal was for a time not sold out, but black metal now is about participation for all, not being the best, so it's as passive as emo and about as shitty.

October 02, 2006, 03:45:42 PM

A shot of re-prospective. Kiss (to some extenet)...Disco....Motley Crue....Poison... David Bowie.... THe New York Dolls... Twisted Sister.... The Cure...... I can list more. All very popular through the 70's or 80's.  

Perhaps. But I knew of no one who actually affected such an appearance. While this may have been fully acceptable in entertainment, I can never recall anyone in drag or the like prancing about my town. And the ambiguously 'gay' angle to much of the 70's/80's entertainment that did lean that way, was essentially lost on 98% of the population either way.
All the same, I do see your point.