Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Please be nice.

Please be nice.
November 21, 2011, 03:41:03 AM
I understand how uncomfortable these types of posts make everyone, especially having been on the receiving end of such criticism a few times myself. Threads on conduct may get redundant, but I can only hope that a few of you will finally listen this time. I did, eventually, and I'm the better for it. So please...

Be nice to each other here. The purpose of discussion is to compare competing models of reality, and then use our intellects to determine which one is the most accurate.

Things that inhibit this process:

-Name calling.
-Demanding that another poster kill himself.
-Demanding another poster leave the boards, or be removed from the boards.
-Obliquely doing any of the above by using a group or another person as a stand in for the poster. "That argument is very much like ones that x uses, and we all agree that x is stupid, so you must be..."
-Blatant logical fallacies. I realize that logic is a subtle thing, and part of why we're here is to check our logic against our peers', but that doesn't mean that retreats into non-sequitors are permissible, and when you let one of these slip it can be as insulting as being called a name.

None of these things advances discussion, and they are therefore useless. Avoiding them also saves time, because by not doing these things you're spending less time figuring out how to hurt someone over the internet, and more time focusing on making your argument coherent. This means you get to post sooner and get back to that groundbreaking project which you were working on before coming to the forums.

Things that help this process:

-Formulating coherent thoughts which are interesting
-Posting those thoughts
-Attacking incoherent thoughts
-Praising coherent thoughts

Many people forget the last one. We're all in this sinking ship together; each day smart people get enough soul crushing criticism from normal society (made of manipulative losers who hate themselves and live to belittle others), so that to the sensitive or young it becomes almost unbearable. So each complement you can give someone here on something they did right is going to go a long way into sustaining their energy in finding and creating beauty.

Not that I want this place to become a haven of platitudes. It's been said we should attack bad ideas, not the people that created them; this is true, but we should also praise valuable ideas, not their creators. Praise for being a person is cheap and easy to come by, but praise for an idea, praise for your mind, is rare, and more valuable.

Similarly while I recognize that the topic for these boards is metal and that therefore you all have more confrontational personalities than the average, save it for bootcamp or strength training where that type of aggression can be converted into useful energy; shit-talkers are usually not ass-kickers.

/end christfag bong-hit rant

Re: Please be nice.
November 21, 2011, 05:34:54 AM
faggot

November 21, 2011, 11:59:12 AM
But... but... U DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!1

*offers no explanation why you don't understand and firmly keeps believing in his own righteousness*

JUST THINK ABOUT IT MAN!!1 U'LL ULTIMATELY REALIZE THAT I AM RIGHT AND U R WRONG!!1

*goes back to thinking he actually contributed something worthwhile to this forum and keeps making dumb posts*

November 21, 2011, 04:35:31 PM
I agree, especially concerning the quality of rhetoric, but you cannot expect the fucking aspies to behave themselves.
Impale the Under-120's!

I've always enjoyed a little male bondage every now and then.
I like missionary because it allows me to watch her face as I strangle her.

November 21, 2011, 05:12:21 PM
this place is actually better than most forums behavior wise. this isn't a friendship making zone that a lot of forums resemble. Some of the pathetic shit i've seen while browsing forums is astounding. Internet cliques that have appreciation threads for random douchebags every months, people that take their internet veteran status/post count as some kind of badge of honor,  people that whine about the most mundane of shit, and forums where if some below average female joins she is immediately treated like Aphrodite. I rather like the impersonal nature of this site. 
I'm not as smart as most of you, so feel free to call me a moron when you want.

November 21, 2011, 11:15:31 PM
Listen you pompous idiot; kill yourself now before the world has to suffer another of your vaguely philosophical monologues. It's apparently not possible to get rid of you with insult, why don't you just do everyone a favor and fuck off to a place where you will be accepted (like the grave)? This is a post that belongs on a Christian special-interest forum, not a temple to black art. If you're unable to tolerate a little invective thrown your way, you are probably incapable of appreciating many of the arguments here anyway.

November 22, 2011, 12:16:53 AM
Use of the word "invective" gets my vote.

December 03, 2011, 05:27:02 PM
this place is actually better than most forums behavior wise. this isn't a friendship making zone that a lot of forums resemble. Some of the pathetic shit i've seen while browsing forums is astounding. Internet cliques that have appreciation threads for random douchebags every months, people that take their internet veteran status/post count as some kind of badge of honor,  people that whine about the most mundane of shit, and forums where if some below average female joins she is immediately treated like Aphrodite. I rather like the impersonal nature of this site. 

This is why it should be hostile.

The solution is to contribute positive content along with the rage:

Things that help this process:

-Formulating coherent thoughts which are interesting
-Posting those thoughts
-Attacking incoherent thoughts
-Praising coherent thoughts

It's not a single factor quest, but a two-factor quest.

Twice as complicated, still not that complicated.

Can you do it?

December 05, 2011, 04:13:22 AM

It's not a single factor quest, but a two-factor quest.

Twice as complicated, still not that complicated.

Can you do it?

Touché.

Firstly, I'm never quite sure what's a troll and what isn't; it's best to completely ignore that kind of immaturity.

Beyond that, in general I find being positive to be more interesting. When faced with the choice to destroy 10 convoluted logical hamster-wheel arguments OR post one worthwhile piece of analysis and encouragement, if time is a factor (and it often is) then recently I've found myself choosing the latter. Judging by the posting habits of the respectable members of this forum, I think this is a mistake you and a handful of others know something about.

Point taken though; 'tis the season.

December 05, 2011, 09:47:17 PM
My message was not directed at you alone but at the whole group.

We need to be nice, but that doesn't tell us the full story. We need to both (a) behave ourselves but cut down the worthless and (b) contribute positive stuff worth discussing.

This board falls down on the second because of the high aspie rate, and that's why the negative comments fill the void...