Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

how shitting, fasting, sleep deprivation, and marijuana changed my life

I fasted on just water for 3 weeks half a year ago. starting again now. can't wait for the first 3 days to pass. after that it's easy.

That is extremely unhealthy diesel. I would advise against repeating that. From my own experience, when ketosis kicks in you gain a certain clarity. That is the most desirable aspect of fasting for me; an induction of death, a triumph of will over biological prerogative. Do not harm yourself to do it though, that's just silly. Make sure you get micronutrients and at least some calories every few days.

great ideas. im already done with the first one. how often and for how long should one fast and deprive themselves though? i don't particularly want to develop any fucked up conditions or die of a heart attack.

I will take your question to be; how long should one fast to receive intellectual/spiritual benefit? An example that comes to mind is the Prophet Muhammad, whatever your views about what he fostered, the man was a thinker, at times an ascetic, and a great faster. In the spiritual traditions of the Sufis of India (also Islamic), there are accounts of people who would fast on alternate days, or for 3 months out of a year etc., obviously influenced by the example of Muhammad. The method of fasting is quite specific: Rise before sunrise, have some optional intake (water, a very, very light meal), then till sunset deprive yourself of all food, drink, sexual congress, drugs (including tobacco) and poor behaviour (hatred, spite, jealousy, envy, backbiting, whatever you consider to be unworthy in this vein). Meditate often. At sunset break the fast with another light meal/water. From experiencing it, it is effective, but you may tailor it to your requirements and preferences. It could be a useful example. Performing it with ritualistic deliberateness, with stated and felt intent, is also powerful and symbolic; adding to the benefit in my humble opinion.

From the perspective of your health, do not completely deprive yourself of calories for longer than 3-4 days. During the first few days of starvation, the body uses up its stores of glucose. After the 2nd/3rd day, breakdown of fatty tissue begins. If starvation continues however, over the course of just over a week the body begins to also use up its own protein. You certainly do not want your body metabolizing desirable protein (muscle) to generate energy. Let it subsist on fatty acids/ketone bodies. Fatty acids are breakdown products of stored fat which are metabolized for energy by almost all tissues of the body. However, the brain can only use either pure glucose or ketone bodies as a source of energy, its cells do not have the chemical mechanisms to use fatty acids. Ketone bodies are a byproduct of metabolism of fatty acids in the liver, they are three chemical compounds that can be thought of as slightly altered building blocks of fat. At about day 4 of starvation, ketone bodies account for ~70% of the energy that the brain receives. As I mentioned earlier, in my experience this produces a clarity of thought that is worth seeking.

The lines directed at diesel also apply. Cultivate thirst, but do not dehydrate yourself unnecessarily; get a good amount of water in you over the course of the day. Ketosis makes the blood acidic (reduces pH), and dehydration can exacerbate this effect. It is unlikely to be harmful unless you overdo it, but it does require the regulatory system in your kidneys that handles blood pH to work quite a bit.

Some traditions relating to fasting by the Prophet Muhammad:

-Narrated Muslim al-Qurashi: "I asked or someone asked the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) about perpetual fasting. He replied: You have a duty to your family. Fast during Ramadan and the following month, and every Wednesday and Thursday. You will then have observed a perpetual fast.  (Translation of Sahih Muslim, Book 13, Number 2426)"

-Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr bin Al-'As: "Once Allah's Apostle came to me," and then he narrated the whole narration, i.e. your guest has a right on you, and your wife has a right on you. I then asked about the fasting of David. The Prophet replied, "Half of the year," (i.e. he used to fast on every alternate day).  (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 31, Number 195)"

fallot - have you ever read this ?

this is one of those topics where people re-iterate something they heard from somewhere ad infinitum.

I tried it to experience it for myself. i eased into my previous fast with 3 days of juice fasting, and did 3 days of juice fasting when i was done. it was absurdly easy. after the first three days were over i only had  2 random days when I felt tired. On the last week I was able to do a heavy labor job, and had more energy to do it than ever. I didn't eliminate all of my fat, It would be hard for most people who aren't anorexic to run out of fat supply in 21 days, and i wasn't fat to start with. I lost 20 pounds over the whole period. that's besides the point though as i wasn't doing it for weight loss.

anyway Op is on a different tangent talking about stuff like binging immediately after a fast, taking the body for ups and downs, shitting it all out, etc.

I have not read it, but Dr. Fuhrman may not be a credible individual. The cover makes me immediately skeptical. There is a huge population of unscrupulous individuals selling alternative healthcare ideas or solutions with flimsy or outright fabricated research; as well as rejection of accepted science as being "biased" (which it is, against them, since it may or may not support what they are peddling.)

This quote from Dr. Fuhrman is not encouraging: "It's easy to understand why this study was so hard to get published and the stranglehold the drug companies and the medical profession has on the status quo in disease-care. It should not even be called health care!". This is the usual cry of people with agendas or products to sell. http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2008/12/the_spontaneous_regression_of_breast_can.php <-- the source, plus another statement that brings his integrity into question. I'm no nutritionist, but I share professions with this person and am immediately concerned. Nevertheless, if you have found something of value in it I will not disregard it out of hand. Thank you for making me aware of it.

One of the benefits of ketosis is you don't feel tired at all! You feel alert as fuck. You sound like you have experienced it. A 3 week fast of nothing but water could still cause lasting harm. You do actively metabolize protein in prolonged starvation (several days) whether or not you have stores of fat. It is a part of the starvation response.

>With girl. All the signs are in front of me. Whore.
>trust her because i was stuck in a rut
>i somehow become nocturnal and completely bored with life. masturbate every day. eat when bored. see her on weekends.
>smoke weed on the reg
>get used to the strong hunger feelings
>manage to stay up 24 hours trying to come out of nocturnal mode.
>getting really lucid
>void my bowels. symbolic in a way.
>toss whore to the curb
>looking into the military or learning a trade or starting the band ive had visions of

seriously anyone in houston, lets get to work one weekend. i figure this is the best place to look for musicians, right?

Recommendations:

Cut the drugs out.
Keep fasting periodically.
Deprive yourself periodically.
Get a decent trade because you'll have to learn something--like a trade--in the military anyway.

great ideas. im already done with the first one. how often and for how long should one fast and deprive themselves though? i don't particularly want to develop any fucked up conditions or die of a heart attack.

A real psychonaut does not stop at the half-measures mentioned in this thread. Practice abstinence from defecating, maybe then I'll give you a golden star for realizing you're full of shit.

I admire your humor, but you're killing me with your hate bro. do you have something against what i'm trying to do with my life or am i just imagining things?

Fallot offered the specific information.

Phoenix

A real psychonaut does not stop at the half-measures mentioned in this thread. Practice abstinence from defecating, maybe then I'll give you a golden star for realizing you're full of shit.

I admire your humor, but you're killing me with your hate bro. do you have something against what i'm trying to do with my life or am i just imagining things?

Thanks for appreciating the humour. I'm just a fucker who's on your side. Your reply was splendid, you didn't get all squeamish and defensive. This thread was just a real love-fest, I felt it needed the other side's perspective. If you want to walk a challenging path, as you claim, it's only good for you. You just seem to be coming at this from a somewhat hipster-esque psychonautic slant. I recommend taking it more seriously. All the spiritual practices in the world are hollow if the time in between their practice is spent forgetting their lessons. The greatest test of all is not to punish yourself through trials, for the way you tend to act that you dislike so much, as if your ego needs to be 'broken'. The greatest test is to act different, *all* the time, so you leave your old self behind, truly you cut it out of you, 100% seriousness all the time. And you already have a good start - you'll need humour, otherwise you go crazy!

So its about the third day and I have more energy than ever. spent a  hour fucking around in the psuedo-woods behind where i live setting up obstacles made of logs to challenge myself further. managed to bust my face open on a slippery one. but no pain, no gain and all that good stuff. also back to pumping iron. i'll be out of here in no time.

thanks for the support, guys.

managed to bust my face open on a slippery one.

Looks like you got whupped with the ugly stick.

managed to bust my face open on a slippery one.

Looks like you got whupped with the ugly stick.

lol just a busted lip. i look combative. come at me, proles. :D