Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Exams

Exams
November 28, 2011, 03:05:49 PM
What is the point of them? Do they have a place in the Hessian world?

Re: Exams
November 28, 2011, 03:55:51 PM
Entrance exams would be a good test of knowledge during the process of joining an academic institution.  Other than that, I don't see much of a point of them - teachers should be able to ascertain the intelligence of their pupils without such tests.

November 28, 2011, 07:30:48 PM
Tests SHOULD be a method of determining the progress/learning capability of those who take them.

Instead they're used (in the US school system) as a basis for whether or not your school receives money. No one gives a fuck if all the kids are morons, the district has all A's so we get that new basketball court to go with our 5 other basketball courts!

November 28, 2011, 08:09:39 PM

Examinations are valuable for basic differentiation. I don't understand the question entirely, the motivation behind it is not clear to me. Is your concern poor examinations that do not reflect anything?

Entrance exams would be a good test of knowledge during the process of joining an academic institution.  Other than that, I don't see much of a point of them - teachers should be able to ascertain the intelligence of their pupils without such tests.

I disagree somewhat, they have value in ascertaining whether someone has acquired specific knowledge/skills (including skills in critical thought for instance, especially relating to a particular discipline). For example, it does not matter how intelligent a physician is if he lacks one small bit of information or understanding that could mean the difference between life and death. If your perspective is only for examinations in schools, teaching young children/adolescents, then this is a fair statement.

November 29, 2011, 01:45:51 AM

Examinations are valuable for basic differentiation. I don't understand the question entirely, the motivation behind it is not clear to me. Is your concern poor examinations that do not reflect anything?

My question is due to the nature of simply memorising and spitting out that is the basis of most exams, mainly at high school level, before the "think before you write" exams kick in at college level. What is the point?

November 29, 2011, 02:23:09 AM
There is some value in pure memorization. Understanding and realization cannot occur without absorbing knowledge first; something learned by rote may later contribute to deeper understanding (e.g. learning times tables, dates in history etc.). But if this is all that's going on at a high school level that's kind of shit, yeah. Anyway, if you're currently having exams, best of luck.

December 01, 2011, 11:35:28 PM
teachers should be able to ascertain the intelligence of their pupils without such tests.

Instructors can't have a personal relationship with every student in a class of hundreds.  Besides, exams aren't about judging intelligence, they are about determining knowledge level.

December 03, 2011, 05:11:53 PM
All exams should include a swordfight or at least an endurance hike. Losers get sodomized by the winners back at camp.