Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Nihilist films.

Nihilist films.
November 28, 2011, 08:11:10 PM
I'm not a movie person, but these were really well done.
Naked
In the company of men
Your friends and neighbors
Amores Perros
Happiness

add on.

Re: Nihilist films.
November 29, 2011, 05:47:42 AM
This list basically just demonstrates why films are not worth spending time on, none of those films were works of art worthy of standing beside any great works in traditional mediums.  Film is an inherently spiritually corrupt mode of expression.

November 29, 2011, 07:22:52 AM
Do you feel the same way about theatre?

The greatest works of art of the 20th century are probably Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Die Mensch-Maschine and To the Depths... In Degradation.

November 29, 2011, 09:24:54 PM
Naked is definitely worthwhile. I saw it when I was 14 and it actually sparked my interest in nihilism.
Nihilist films are sometimes raw,sometimes really subtle. I don't follow cinema much, but it would be nice to have a list of solid recomendations for a rainy day. Can't read books and the internet all the time.

November 29, 2011, 10:47:10 PM
This list basically just demonstrates why films are not worth spending time on, none of those films were works of art worthy of standing beside any great works in traditional mediums.  Film is an inherently spiritually corrupt mode of expression.

There is thought provoking and expanding imagery in quite a few films. I don't disagree that the vast amount is execrable, but this is true of other pursuits as well, including metal. Blade Runner may suffer from a third rate narrative, but the vision is inspired art. Similarly, Se7en may be a puerile piece of trash to some, but it undoubtedly contains elements of darkness and beauty and is a reflection of the world as much as any other art.

November 30, 2011, 03:28:23 AM
Eraserhead
Inland Empire
Brazil

November 30, 2011, 07:05:34 AM
Do you feel the same way about theatre?

No.  Film is an unnecessary extension of theatre which incorporates a kind of psychological manipulation that is intoxicating to someone who is not aware of what is going on.  The very nature of the medium makes it poison for the spirit, perhaps tolerable in small doses, but best avoided.

Quote from: diesel
Naked is definitely worthwhile. I saw it when I was 14 and it actually sparked my interest in nihilism.

Regardless of what it sparked, once you evaluate it without bias you will see that it is basically a fatalistic/leftist affair with a handful of "profound" comments to make you think that it has something to say, reminds me of really bad modern metal like Pink Frothy AIDS or Deathspell Omega.

Quote from: fallot
There is thought provoking and expanding imagery in quite a few films. I don't disagree that the vast amount is execrable, but this is true of other pursuits as well, including metal. Blade Runner may suffer from a third rate narrative, but the vision is inspired art. Similarly, Se7en may be a puerile piece of trash to some, but it undoubtedly contains elements of darkness and beauty and is a reflection of the world as much as any other art.

Neither of the films you mention come close to standing beside any great work of art.  Blade Runner has some extrinsically pleasing moments and that is all, Seven is another fatalistic cry-along which wants you to think it is profound.  Once again the medium is inherently corrupt and this filters through into every product, I have never seen anything which came close to convincing me otherwise.

November 30, 2011, 07:53:48 AM
We've been over this a dozen times. Yes film is inherently garbage; doesn't mean you can't appreciate the good ones (much like metal or anything else).

Brazil

Where hearts are entertained in Juuuuuunnnee, we sailed beneath an amber mooooooooonnnn....

Great film. Excellent cast, enthralling story - really one of the best I've ever seen.

November 30, 2011, 09:58:56 AM
Film is an inherently spiritually corrupt mode of expression.

It always blows my mind that people can have such a visceral hatred of a medium. 

November 30, 2011, 10:02:57 AM
On the other hand, the medium of film is great for comedy! (The funny ha ha kind)

November 30, 2011, 06:52:36 PM
Repo Man

Anything else is just dicks.

Collector's Edition, $15

If you were wondering what to buy ANY metalhead/punk who was blessed/cursed to avoid the 1980s, as a Kwanzaa gift or something, you should consider this.

December 02, 2011, 11:28:51 PM
How about a film that works like a painting? A long scrolling tapestry, perhaps accompanied by music. Just because the medium has been used for no good doesn't mean that can't change.

Holograms would make for interesting art.

December 03, 2011, 12:52:44 AM
A funny haha kind of nihilistic movie could portray the "good" guys as being too reliant on movie luck cliches and the fact that they are "good" to assist them in overcoming conflict, resulting in them repeatedly falling flat on their face. Meanwhile, the "bad" guys have embraced the fact that they are doomed to failure and death (because this is typical for most bad guys in most movies), and through this are able to face conflict more courageously.

How about a film that works like a painting? A long scrolling tapestry, perhaps accompanied by music. Just because the medium has been used for no good doesn't mean that can't change.

The closest thing I've found to this is the grossly engrossing art film Begotten (thanks to the recommendation of JewishPhysics). It felt like a painting in the sense that it is almost completely driven by imagery, and leaves a lot to the imagination.

I imagine that a cool visualization of death metal would be elements of the album artwork mutating into different monster-like forms that abstractly correspond to the music; particularly effective with albums like Nespithe. It'd probably only succeed in being a strange LSD-like experience, but perhaps something more could come of it.

December 03, 2011, 02:38:57 AM
(thanks to the recommendation of JewishPhysics)
No problemo.

I'm not entirely sure what the thread-starter is looking for; here are some obvious, but essential, recommendations:
-2001: A Space Odyssey
-The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
-Taxi Driver
-Dr. Strangelove

I'd perhaps also suggest considering The Holy Mountain.

Eraserhead
Inland Empire
Brazil
I'll second these.

December 03, 2011, 03:32:19 AM
Italian Westerns are particularly nihilistic. Besides the obvious Dollars trilogy, Death Rides a Horse and The Great Silence are fantastic.

Night of the Living Dead is the ultimate nihilist film opus.

Any fans of The Deer Hunter around here?