Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Best metal releases of 2011

Best metal releases of 2011
December 02, 2011, 02:43:38 AM
Year's end.

What were the best?

(Parallel to this post.)

Re: Best metal releases of 2011
December 02, 2011, 03:50:17 AM
Autopsy- Macabre Eternal
Beherit- From the Devil's Studio
Blaspherian- Infernal Warriors of Death
Goreaphobia- Apocalyptic Necromancy
Bahimiron- Rebel Hymns of Left Handed Terror
Morbus666- Mortuus Cultus
Prosanctus Inferi- Red Streams of Flesh
Absu- Abzu
Immolation- Providence

Roughly in that order.

The new Demoncy will probably make this list when it's finally released.

December 02, 2011, 02:06:21 PM
Cianide.

December 03, 2011, 02:44:49 AM
Autopsy- Macabre Eternal
Beherit- From the Devil's Studio
Blaspherian- Infernal Warriors of Death
Prosanctus Inferi- Red Streams of Flesh
I'd agree with those, but probably add:
Cianide - Gods of Death (as suggested)
Sorcier des Glaces - The Puressence of Primitive Forests
Disma - Towards the Megalith

December 03, 2011, 05:34:45 PM
Prosanctus Inferi is improved; are you going to be listening to it in five years?

Disma; ditto.

Didn't some major bands also release stuff, or was it all retro-erotic shit?

December 03, 2011, 09:56:12 PM
Prosanctus Inferi is improved; are you going to be listening to it in five years?

Disma; ditto.

I disagree.  Prosanctus Inferi has become a bit watered down with this new release, its too tame.  I think its the production in general and the more "focused" playing that has kind of dumbed  their style down.  I've listened to the new EP a few times and i thought it sounded great but its appeal fades quick, I'll stick with "Pandemonic..."

December 04, 2011, 12:32:08 AM

Ungod put out an album this year; haven't heard it though. I should get on that...

December 06, 2011, 01:45:13 AM

Disma; ditto.
In all likelihood, no.

Define major bands.  I would consider (the previously listed) Autopsy, Beherit, and Cianide major bands.

December 07, 2011, 06:12:36 AM
Decrepitaph - Profane Doctrines Unburied is not bad at all

December 10, 2011, 04:15:46 PM

How's it do on the five year test?

I think I'll be listening to the new Cianide in five years. Not quite as frequently as their peak, Descent Into Hell, but nonetheless frequently.

Then again, there's some music I respect that I don't ever seem to listen to. Absu past the first album. Gorguts past the second. Metallica after the second. And so on. I don't understand it.

December 11, 2011, 02:34:27 PM
Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines
Ritual Necromancy - Oath of the Abyss
Gridlink - Orphan
Column of Heaven - Demo
...& all the others already mentioned.

Hopefully the new Teitanblood EP will be good. Not out till late December though.

December 11, 2011, 07:12:54 PM
Then again, there's some music I respect that I don't ever seem to listen to. Absu past the first album. Gorguts past the second. Metallica after the second. And so on. I don't understand it.

I think I can provide some insight.

If you're like me, when you find something good you listen to it like its a bad habit - all the damned time. You listen and listen and listen, taking in more and more enjoyment until one day, it may not seem so enjoyable. In this case I find "burning out" to be the appropriate phrase. I still love Nuclear Assault but I hadn't listened to them in at least three years before seeing them at this past MDF.

This is generally what happens to me when I find something good. I'm so excited that I've actually found something worth my time, I over indulge. Enthusiasm gets the better of me.

Usually after I wait a few months/years and then listen to it again (sometimes forgetting about it altogether), I'll remember what I loved about it so much, and it becomes an option in my listening habits again.

December 12, 2011, 02:01:43 AM
I think I'll be listening to the new Cianide in five years. Not quite as frequently as their peak, Descent Into Hell, but nonetheless frequently.

Ahhh i dont know how you can call that their peak,I have said this before but it is completely ruined by "luciferian twilight" with that goofy/happy/stupid riff.  It totally spoils the otherwise heavy as hell album.  Dying Truth has one foot firmly planted on top of that album for sure.  Im not really a fan of the opening grunting of "Desecration Storm" either( but for some reason it has been ringing through my head all day?).    

I think I can provide some insight.

If you're like me, when you find something good you listen to it like its a bad habit - all the damned time. You listen and listen and listen, taking in more and more enjoyment until one day, it may not seem so enjoyable. In this case I find "burning out" to be the appropriate phrase. I still love Nuclear Assault but I hadn't listened to them in at least three years before seeing them at this past MDF.

This is generally what happens to me when I find something good. I'm so excited that I've actually found something worth my time, I over indulge. Enthusiasm gets the better of me.

Usually after I wait a few months/years and then listen to it again (sometimes forgetting about it altogether), I'll remember what I loved about it so much, and it becomes an option in my listening habits again.

I think Conservationist is pointing out that he selects/prefers albums which made their impact on him, or those which "clicked" with his personal taste.  For example , i really enjoyed all of Gorguts albums but "From Wisdom To Hate" is my favorite.  It has a bit of flavor from all their albums,great lyrics and excellent production but for me it is THE Gorguts album to own.  Im guessing Conservationist is older/seasoned metal fan and was most likely following Gorguts since they made their first album, and when Erosion of Sanity came out it made an impression on him.

My favorites so far this year :
Cianide
Blaspherian

December 12, 2011, 06:55:19 AM

How's it do on the five year test?

I try to stay away from what i receive as very perishable, this Decrepitaph however attracted me more than the Cianide album.