Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Best metal releases of 2011

Re: Best metal releases of 2011
December 23, 2011, 07:28:21 AM
Another album from 2011 that stuck with me, and wasn't mentioned here, was Shub Niggurath's A Deadly Call from the Stars

December 23, 2011, 01:09:11 PM
Great year for DM, shite year for BM. Any takers?

Obsequiae - Suspended in the Brume of Eos

Only interesting thing here.

December 25, 2011, 06:16:38 AM
The litmus test as always is: will I give a damn in five years?

The official DLA lists are too forgiving:

Best Metal of 2011
Best True Metal of 2011

In fact, sweeping the list

# Esoteric - Paragon of Dissonance
# Gridlink - Orphan
# Death Strike - Fcukin' Death (re-issue)
# Cianide - Gods of Death
# Deceased - Surreal Overdose
# Heresiarch - Hammer of Intransigence
# Morbus 666 - Mortuus Cultus
# Nunslaughter - Demoslaughter
# Ungod - Cloaked in Eternal Darkness
# Apocalypse Command - Damnation Scythes of Invincible Abomination
# Blotted Science - The Animation of Entomology
# Bahimiron - Rebel Hymns of Left-Handed Terror
# Vallenfyre - A Fragile King
# Cruciamentum - Engulfed in Desolation
# Rudra - Brahmavidya: Immortal I
# Abhor - Ab Luna Lucenti, Ab Noctua Protecti
# Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
# Beherit - At the Devil's Studio 1990
# Sorcier des Glaces - The Puressence of Primitive Forests
# Obsequiae - Suspended in the Brume of Eos
# Amebix - Sonic Mass
# War Master - Pyramid of the Necropolis
# Blaspherian - Infernal Warriors of Death

I'd pare it to this for the five-year plan:

# Nunslaughter - Demoslaughter

I don't know how often I can throw on the noodly bullshit of Obsequiae or the power chord chromatic exercises of Apocalypse Command before I throw in the towel and seek out some Mozart.

December 25, 2011, 10:52:22 AM
Finally got around to getting that Gridlink album, and I'm completely baffled as to why Conservationist cut it off his list, as it's probably the best album I've heard all year (aside from Disma and Death Strike - which isn't even new). Absolutely unique, compelling, and expertly written grind.

December 25, 2011, 01:10:13 PM
Finally got around to getting that Gridlink album, and I'm completely baffled as to why Conservationist cut it off his list, as it's probably the best album I've heard all year (aside from Disma and Death Strike - which isn't even new). Absolutely unique, compelling, and expertly written grind.

It is a very cool album, i just finished listening to it.  13 minutes though.. why do they choose to make such short "full lengths"?  It feels longer than that though with all riffs they pack in there.

December 27, 2011, 09:48:10 AM
It is a very cool album, i just finished listening to it.  13 minutes though.. why do they choose to make such short "full lengths"?  It feels longer than that though with all riffs they pack in there.

I remember a thread I made about something he posted regarding Gridlink's last album, "Amber Grey".

Ah, here it is. - http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,7263.0.html

The last few lines are just emotional reaction but the meat of his statement rings true.

December 27, 2011, 10:37:27 AM
Hah that was pretty funny actually.  I can see why he gets pissed over something like that though. I mean, most of us do some research before just buying an album, so must of us know its 13 minutes before we even download it.  I would still buy it though, its awesome.

December 27, 2011, 06:58:44 PM

I don't know how often I can throw on the noodly bullshit of Obsequiae or the power chord chromatic exercises of Apocalypse Command before I throw in the towel and seek out some Mozart.

I don't know how often I can throw on the generic, uninspired bullshit of Cianide before I throw in the towel and seek out audio recordings of Downies humping each other.

I seriously think you have some kind of ideological aversion to talent.

December 27, 2011, 07:28:58 PM

I don't know how often I can throw on the generic, uninspired bullshit of Cianide before I throw in the towel and seek out audio recordings of Downies humping each other.

I think in a recent interview conducted with them, they pretty much admitted they had no inspiration for this album.  WELL anyways we can forget about this foul year and get ready for 2012, hopefully it will be a better year for us all(by the being the last).

December 27, 2011, 07:44:42 PM

I think in a recent interview conducted with them, they pretty much admitted they had no inspiration for this album.  WELL anyways we can forget about this foul year and get ready for 2012, hopefully it will be a better year for us all(by the being the last).

For a band like Cianide, uninspired means inspired.  Cianide are crude, brutish neanderthals.  It's their whole THING!  To the neanderthal, "inspired" is a word reserved for interpretive dance or ballerinas or some shit.

December 29, 2011, 01:37:32 PM
I haven't devoted a lot of time to new stuff this year, but I have heard most of the releases by the bands I've been folllowing over the last couple. I like the Disma and Autopsy albums mentioned. I am surprised no one mentioned the releases by Cruciamentum and Necros Christos.

December 29, 2011, 01:54:35 PM
Am I missing something with the Obsequiae album? Parts of it are really good I guess, but it can easily be dull and uninspired too. Plus there's no real fire in it, no Vir I guess you could say. I have gone through less than half the list right now and it's mostly been spot-on (with some healthy reading between the lines) but that album is proving to be difficult to ever listen to again. Am I being too hasty? Does it deserve more attention?

December 29, 2011, 03:53:24 PM
Am I missing something with the Obsequiae album? Parts of it are really good I guess, but it can easily be dull and uninspired too. Plus there's no real fire in it, no Vir I guess you could say. I have gone through less than half the list right now and it's mostly been spot-on (with some healthy reading between the lines) but that album is proving to be difficult to ever listen to again. Am I being too hasty? Does it deserve more attention?

Superficial:

- it's not fucking block-headed death metal
- it's black metal
- it emphasizes nature
- musically competent
- does some interesting things
- future material may be good
- had never heard of it before reading this thread

Criticism:

- lacks "conviction": strong aesthetic, composition (= "Vir")
- lacks a higher level of creativity: not too innovative, varied
- cheesy

= = = = =

Not sure specifically what you were responding to. Most of the stuff praised in this thread bores the hell out of me. If I want "Vir", I put on classical music, ancient music, or go outside and listen to the sounds nature. My brain has advanced past highschool - the way I hear it, metal is too goofy, repetitive and weak to be the subject of genuine, intense focus and contemplation.

December 29, 2011, 04:53:27 PM
Funny, I'm able to enjoy both. I prefer classical to any other mainstream genre. I think it's important however to be very selective about your metal.

I probably won't listen to Obsequiae a whole lot. It's a good effort; it lacks distinctive songs and spirit. The next album may have those, especially if this one gets an open response. It's a lot better than just about the rest of the progressive genre in that while the album is repetitive, individual songs are interesting emotional textures and show a lot of thought at least going into them.

I feel the same way about Gridlink but for different reasons. It's a good B+; not brilliant insight, but good songwriting. Workmanlike. Not necessarily super inspiring. Also, bracingly abrasive in terms of aesthetic, so something I rarely want to listen to except when I have only 13 minutes to violently rape a cow.

From the list, let's apply the five-year test -- what do I think I'll be listening to in five years:

# War Master - Pyramid of the Necropolis

The first one was easily predicted.

Most music is so fucking stupid it's impossible to even consider it. That includes all hip-hop, all pop, all pop country, and all hard rock and radio rock. It includes just about all indie rock, which really isn't any different from the mainstream version but has more legroom to play. Even most electronic music is designed for an e-popping club dumbass. Metal is a rare thing when done well, and otherwise it fades into the constant purposeless noise of the mainstream. Dimebag (who died of AIDS), I'm looking at  you.

I think in a recent interview conducted with them, they pretty much admitted they had no inspiration for this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVVQkQ9MBjc

It's a bit more complex than that...

December 29, 2011, 04:59:15 PM
It is true that some metal is just not worth your time.  If you didn't like it the first time, try it again in a month.  If you still didn't like it the second time, come back to it in a year.  If it still blows its probably a shitty album not worth over analyzing. 

I agree 100% with the sounds of nature being truly fantastic. Nothing beats being out in the woods,mountains, valleys,swamps etc.  However it is hard for a lot of people to get the time to go out and immerse themselves in the wilderness everyday.  If i want to even HEAR the sounds of nature and nothing but, I'm looking at an hour drive to get away from the city and suburbs.  So, Annihilation, you should feel privileged that you can go out and hear such beautiful sounds but don't think your so much more advanced and matured because you don't have to drown out the city noise with death metal everyday.

Which brings this to mind...
My music listening seems to follow this pattern.

Progressive Rock or Ambient in the morning.
Death Metal, Speed Metal, and Crust in the afternoon.
Classical while cooking dinner( definitely brings some inspiration to the dishes)
Finish up the night laying in bed listening to Black Metal.

Now if you will excuse me I have stir fry and a Mussorgsky LP to attend to.