Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The appeal of this place

The appeal of this place
December 03, 2011, 05:20:57 PM
Why do people come here?

It resists every philosophical category.

It refuses to be friendly to anyone.

It is poorly maintained, barely there, clearly not commercially viable...

It's a drop-out that has re-engaged with the search for meaning.

it's an unintentional iconoclast.

It cannot be bought or sold.

That's why people come here.

Resistance. Hope. Warfare.

Re: The appeal of this place
December 03, 2011, 05:56:44 PM
Speak for yourself. I just come here because there's no better alternative. That doesn't say anything about how good this place is, only about how shitty other forums are.

Everyone would like anus.com and particularly the forums to be kinda different. But nobody can have it their way, not even the mods of this place can have it their way. We all have to deal with people we don't agree with, whether it's just their tone or their entire message. Freedom of speech for the dumb.

Yet there's nothing poetic or romantic about that. It's just pathetic really. Every damn month there's at least two threads about the state of this forum. That clearly shows what the real problem is: this forum overrates itself and it's filled with people who overrate themselves. Posts like the one Conservationist made here only serve to maintain that illusion. It's like being lyrical about shit.

Just stop being a faggot and take the forum for whatever it is or stop posting here. I hate the shit out of some forum users and wish for them to die horribly. But I'd rather deal with them instead of living in an ivory tower and looking in the mirror all day telling myself how awesome I am. That is the kind of shit you can get at any forum and that's why I appreciate that you can't get that kind of shit over here.

And besides, the fail-trolls make me laugh and aren't hard to deal with. Usually they expose themselves within one or two posts anyway and end up only embarrassing themselves.

December 03, 2011, 07:34:11 PM
Why do people come here?

Lack of alternatives. There are other places where spirit is preserved above other interests as it is here. It is not exceptional, except for metal.

December 03, 2011, 07:39:16 PM
People come here? Seems pretty dead to me.
I don't know about you guys, but I love my under-120s. They're so cute and funny. Just yesterday one stole my GPS unit and another one took a dump in my yard. Ha ha, they're such cards.

December 03, 2011, 07:46:32 PM
Neon lights
Shimmering neon lights
And at the fall of night
This city's made of light

December 03, 2011, 11:20:24 PM
For me:
In a general sense, it's inspiring to find a spirit that is antagonistic to modernity yet reverent towards life.
More specifically, a shrine to art forms that reflect this attitude.

December 03, 2011, 11:42:41 PM
Other metal sites are full of circle-jerking buddy-systems, even if they have an initial trial by fire for newcomers. M-A, NWN!, FPR come to mind as the most blatant examples. I do regularly check the NWN! forums just because it's the best place I've seen to get immediate updates on metal releases, it's a great info source because the nerd factor of the userbase there is unbelievable. But the discussions are beyond asinine.

This place on the other hand is spiteful, exclusive, vitriolic, arrogant, brash, commanding, and self-righteous/assured. Just like metal itself.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

December 04, 2011, 08:02:51 AM
This forum will elite itself out of relevance.

fake edit: This forum hasn't been relevant (or interesting) in a long time. I still don't understand why I come back every few weeks and read all the same stupid aspergy fucking posts about how to be a great alpha male warrior uber-nihilist with no sense of humor. I get it, a forum full of badasses. Good for you. All the useful black/death metal posts were made years ago. Those were the only worthwhile part of this forum. Stop trying to convince yourself that this forum is anything other than a circlejerk.

December 04, 2011, 02:25:47 PM
I agree, some of the posts do appear repetitive - but there's always a % of new people who are looking for that repetition to get started. Always looking to recruit new metal heads sick of a broken society, right?

Personally, I really enjoy the move towards traditional/spiritual insights. Those are my biggest interest areas and the ones in which I find myself most lacking. I'm not so interested in the Metal posts anymore, because it appears that the best music has already been produced and discussions about it have already occurred.
I don't know about you guys, but I love my under-120s. They're so cute and funny. Just yesterday one stole my GPS unit and another one took a dump in my yard. Ha ha, they're such cards.

December 04, 2011, 05:39:06 PM
Speak for yourself. I just come here because there's no better alternative. That doesn't say anything about how good this place is, only about how shitty other forums are.

Everyone would like anus.com and particularly the forums to be kinda different. But nobody can have it their way, not even the mods of this place can have it their way. We all have to deal with people we don't agree with, whether it's just their tone or their entire message. Freedom of speech for the dumb.

Yet there's nothing poetic or romantic about that. It's just pathetic really. Every damn month there's at least two threads about the state of this forum. That clearly shows what the real problem is: this forum overrates itself and it's filled with people who overrate themselves. Posts like the one Conservationist made here only serve to maintain that illusion. It's like being lyrical about shit.

Just stop being a faggot and take the forum for whatever it is or stop posting here. I hate the shit out of some forum users and wish for them to die horribly. But I'd rather deal with them instead of living in an ivory tower and looking in the mirror all day telling myself how awesome I am. That is the kind of shit you can get at any forum and that's why I appreciate that you can't get that kind of shit over here.

And besides, the fail-trolls make me laugh and aren't hard to deal with. Usually they expose themselves within one or two posts anyway and end up only embarrassing themselves.

This forum will elite itself out of relevance.

fake edit: This forum hasn't been relevant (or interesting) in a long time. I still don't understand why I come back every few weeks and read all the same stupid aspergy fucking posts about how to be a great alpha male warrior uber-nihilist with no sense of humor. I get it, a forum full of badasses. Good for you. All the useful black/death metal posts were made years ago. Those were the only worthwhile part of this forum. Stop trying to convince yourself that this forum is anything other than a circlejerk.

I'll never understand how people can analyze things this much.

This forum is great.  I love it.  Keep doing what you're doing aspies, nihilists, rednecks, aristocrats and hessians!
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

Phoenix

December 04, 2011, 07:13:36 PM

I agree.

I have no idea if you count me as a 'fail-troll', but is it wrong for me to want this forum to succeed? I don't want to just do stuff cause there's no better alternative. I certainly don't want an ivory tower, but I don't think there's any risk of that happening here.

I'll never understand how people can analyze things this much.

You think that's serious analysis? Come on man, they didn't sit down and write a dissertation, believe it or not for some people expansive, in-depth ideas fly off the tops of their heads. It takes practice.

December 04, 2011, 07:40:50 PM
I mostly visit this forum to read discussions about metal, and <1% of the non-stupid non-metal threads and comments. I'll admit though, that I do visit these forums a lot less than when I used to visit the former "aether" forums on here. These forums have gotten ridiculously political (how many "kill the weak/stupid/poor" posts do we really need?) comparatively, yet seem afraid to bash American conservatism as it is just as poisonous as American liberalism. For a forum that pretends to be so serious about building an aristocratic society, I'm surprised how little real life action the employees that manage the forum or ANUS actually take. I don't really expect the casual poster to do anything because clearly they are just here to masturbate.

If the 99% of the world are stupid, the employees of this forum and ANUS are part of the 1% who are not stupid, wouldn't it follow that it should be pretty easy to outsmart all these "idiots" and gain control? There is essentially a war against the stupid being declared here, and the stupid people are winning. What's up with that?

There is also a problem with hiding behind pseudonyms and expecting ideas to be a guide to a better tomorrow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but have there been any global revolutions that didn't have a name or a face to them? If this forum and ANUS are designed to only be a place for ideas and to vent, then none of this matters and the forum is fine as it is. But somehow I think it hopes to be bigger than the web, and in which case, there needs to be sections for planning and real life action.

December 04, 2011, 10:10:08 PM
Well, even though it has its flaws it's better than the majority of forums.

no annoying cliques
no idiots who think they're important because their post count is higher
no annoying females who infest the forum with long ass threads where they hog up attention and flirt with male members
Even though new topics aren't as frequent, I still look forward to reading each one.

When I try to discuss some of the common themes on this forum with other people either online or in real life they just throw me the "geez so much negativity" retort.

December 05, 2011, 02:23:17 AM
This is not the case everywhere. You find intelligent individuals and discussion in the unlikeliest places. Much of actual substance may also come from such forums. But then I don't agree that nothing of substance comes from here. It is what it is. Nevertheless I'm drawn to it only because of metal, not because of conclusions reached. A lot of the philosophical work (Prozak stands out) resonates, I don't generally disagree with and have come to the same conclusion that a form of conservative futurism is the answer. But beyond that there is wild diversion. I suspect this holds true for a lot of people, but they needn't be catered to especially. With the recent movements in constructive directions I feel that something of greater voice will emerge nevertheless, and I welcome it.

This place (specifically, the DLA and discourse about metal) should not be elitist because it is forced to be, but because the content stands alone. The same spirit should follow about the music as well. It is obscure in the realizations required to experience it, in its enhanced expression. It is obscure by its elitism and not by other surface layer qualities (which many fall for). Many look merely for a rejection of their current reality, which they are displeased with, and not a contra-reality. That kind of behaviour is childish and the probable source of more popular metal interest. They will never be catered to here just by the nature of what is discussed. That is the way it should be, not because of any stupid, childish and unconstructive behaviour towards that effect.

Edit: This is not aimed at any individual or individuals, seriously. I believe aiming for deliberate obscurity is selfishness, following from the above.

December 05, 2011, 05:36:57 AM
Why do people come here?

For nihilist philosophy. Not to read about who people want to kill in their next wet dream or verbal masturbation like this:

It resists every philosophical category.

It refuses to be friendly to anyone.

It is poorly maintained, barely there, clearly not commercially viable...

It's a drop-out that has re-engaged with the search for meaning.

it's an unintentional iconoclast.

It cannot be bought or sold.

That's why people come here.

Resistance. Hope. Warfare.

fap fap fap