Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal BANDS are obsolete

Re: Metal BANDS are obsolete
January 25, 2012, 09:45:58 AM
Following the flow of the discussion: I'm always impressed by the lack of musical works coming from this forum, and also the lack of appreciation/criticism of what meagre output there is (hypocrisy noted).  For a group of people who profess a taste for musical discussion, there's not much discussion of actual music (beyond old stuff and good "modern" bands [most of which are dinosaurs, anyway]).  I'm a member of another (private) forum, and maybe half of the members there are actively writing music for bands/solo projects, and maybe half of that is pretty frigging good (the rest is listenable, usually better than most of the crap out there nowadays).  Other members of that forum are involved in labels/distribution, zines, websites, etc., to the point where pretty much everyone has musical/post-musical pursuits.

Let's say I get a quartet together and our bassist composed an album, we would all get the credit for playing the music but the album would be under HIS name. In return, the guitarist would do the same et cetera, et cetera.

I think structuring a band this way is superior. I guess you could name the band but it's not a necessity.

In the "scenes" I'm involved in, whenever a person/couple of people (never more than two) want to write new music (i.e. a style/sound which isn't currently being produced by anyone in the circle), a new project is developed.  Most of these projects seem to share members - guys from Formicator are also in Herhgakht (not even I can spell that band's name) and Hundred, there was a thrash band (on hiatus?) made of members of Hundred + potential auxiliaries, the guitarist of Stob Dearg is the vocalist of Nerrus Kor, and one of the gutiarists of Monheim is also a guitarist in Winterlizard/G. Bomb and the Jakey Shakes, the other guitarist of which is in Red Pill.  In terms of who's actually writing the music, most of these people have one or two projects which they really focus on, and others in which they play as session members (pretty much).

- Division of labour: even if you are the main song-writer its unlikely you'll be any good at doing everything. So unless you've a simple vision in mind expect the execution to be either permanently unsatisfactory or extremely arduous. eg: Its helpful to have a drummer who knows his shit, roughly knows what you're looking for and doesn't have to be shown every single pattern/fill.

It's always worthwhile learning to play the instruments for which you're composing, if only to an intermediate level.  I find it far easier to tell people what I want them to do if I can already play their instrument ; )