Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

DLA: dark ambient

DLA: dark ambient
December 04, 2011, 11:41:15 PM
It would be great to have these represented in Audiofile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dark_ambient_artists

Re: DLA: dark ambient
December 05, 2011, 02:34:59 AM
On a related note, I have to say how much I appreciate the blog piece on Goatcraft. This individual has diluted elements of metal and presented them apart from the method of the genre in a unique and beautiful way. Like all excellent works, the essential statement stands alone. I believe there is future here for a more expansive movement in "Dark Ambient" employing the (or informed by the) phrase/composition of metal. Appeal for this would be almost nonexistent, but it is a strong argument for the legitimacy of ideas presented at the heights of death/black metal.

Edit: Might as well link a sample, more in the related.

December 05, 2011, 02:38:37 AM
It would be great to have these represented in Audiofile

Important works need to be identified, maybe even a top ten with reviews or something. Otherwise on the whole it's a genre of extreme low quality and any potential therein would be lost.

December 05, 2011, 04:42:53 AM
For now, I think it makes sense to build a library and then let the community loose on them. Over time and listening, obviously, we'll come to some more refined conclusions. But it doesn't make sense to give up before we begin!

December 05, 2011, 04:59:50 AM
Right now, the dark ambient that we know to be of good quality from that list is as follows: Maeror Tri, Brian Eno, Aghast, Beherit, Ildjarn, Burzum, Neptune Towers, Tangerine Dream, Mortiis. All of these are A-grade, barring Fenriz' girlfriend's band Aghast which is B-.

I'm going to start investigating some other names which aren't associated with metal.

December 05, 2011, 05:53:45 AM
Klaus Schulze is my favorite, but I believe he is already well-represented in Audiophile.

December 05, 2011, 09:59:15 PM
One of the strongest aspects about this place is how it gets out of the metal ghetto to find parallels in other art forms and genres...

December 06, 2011, 01:23:36 AM

A great number of these bands are either currently within the audiofile or were, but their threads got recycled because they died.  There are also a number of bands on that list that are complete shit.

Maybe one of the Keepers, for example Jim Necroslaughter, can gather up a collection of all the links to Dark Ambient material as a resource for this thread.

December 07, 2011, 12:54:39 PM
This genre needs a solid album with the weight of Hvis lyset tar oss for example. Beherit is unfinished, but is awesome for pure intuition and ideas alone.

December 07, 2011, 02:09:25 PM
Dark ambient isn't a genre. Ambient is an umbrella term, and dark describes the ancient/morbid feel that metal also has. Because of this, it makes sense to view ambient as a spectrum stretching from ambient/industrial/rock/folk/world music hybrids like Dead Can Dance all the way through hard ambient like Suuri Shamaani and Biosphere.

We all know metal is just about dead, with maybe five releases of note per year (although it looks like there are more this year). The point is to find the metal spirit on other genres, and to build them up, so they re-influence metal and help its development out of this retarded indie-hipster time.

December 29, 2011, 08:18:08 AM
Steve Roach has some works that could fall into this category, like Midnight Moon. I'm still exploring his output, so I don't know about any other releases that could be called 'dark ambient'. Also, Lustmord wasn't mentioned in this thread. The Place Where The Black Stars Hang is a great dark ambient album.

December 31, 2011, 06:43:23 PM

A great number of these bands are either currently within the audiofile or were, but their threads got recycled because they died.  There are also a number of bands on that list that are complete shit.

Maybe one of the Keepers, for example Jim Necroslaughter, can gather up a collection of all the links to Dark Ambient material as a resource for this thread.

Is anyone doing this? If not, I can help. I previously re-arranged the classical composers index, so this wouldn't be a great deal.

January 01, 2012, 04:47:19 PM
Thanks. It would be great to add this list to the Alphabetical List of MP3s and FLACs in the Audiofile section.

January 02, 2012, 04:28:13 PM
Looks like no one else is. Go for it! I think we need to expand the DLA beyond metal, but without betraying the spirit of metal, because of the paucity of metal worth pirating.

Sometimes "free" is an illusion. Time is not free. Time listening to crap music is dead time. You've heard it before, so I'll spare the rant, but some mention of it needed to go here.