Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Nihilism in action @ TED - 'The moral mind'

Re: Nihilism in action @ TED - 'The moral mind'
December 05, 2011, 09:43:31 AM
Great speech.
Few people are brave enough to step outside of the moral sphere. That means combatting the ego and a bunch of other obstacles along the way. Basically exiting your body while still being alive. People are like mental patients. Take a schizophrenic who you think is making process at times but he still systematically disappoints you by returning to his ideas of obama sending telepathic messages that speak to him through his dog. You try to break the illusion as much as possible, but the illusion repairs itself quickly and there he is once again with the exact same mindset.
I often become very frustrated at how I can't just reconnect some bloodvessel or re-arrange the brain to make the ego less prominent.
Oh well, atleast the thought resonated with the audience and viewers for a couple of minutes.

December 05, 2011, 04:38:49 PM
An excellent talk; empiricism (a vision of objective reality) always provides greater insight into "essential" matters and here it is done well. Essential truth is presented in an undeniable, unignorable form. "Nihilism", what can just be called true objectivity (the point of view of the universe), provides these insights naturally.

December 05, 2011, 09:41:46 PM
I like morality, it just cannot be "defend-the-weak" morality.

Morality that says do not rape, steal, cheat, lie, harm unnecessarily, etc. is probably a good thing.

However, morality that says I can't shoot some asshole who just broke into my house is a stupid and horrible thing...

Morality should about separating the good from the bad, and killing off the bad. There are many of them but not as many as good people, if good people would just grow some fucking balls and crush them.

December 07, 2011, 11:32:50 AM
Morality should about separating the good from the bad, and killing off the bad. There are many of them but not as many as good people, if good people would just grow some fucking balls and crush them.

The extended lecture approaches this well. This is also ruin. The problem with both liberalism to its logical end and the above is that it requires transcendance. It is not possible to do the above (well, you could convince everyone I guess and have your own French Revolution). Morality should function as care for the weak within the framework of separating good from bad (with care for the weak being a part of the continued existence of our biological system; justification is not even important because it is provably so).

It's what bothers me about this place a bit too; far too much "sacrilege". Especially in matters of empathy. Poor recognition of it (or constant degradation, beratement, trolling) as part of a regulating system. This seems to occur naturally to a lot of dumber people. A lack of empathy may be individually useful, but in terms of group it is disease.

December 07, 2011, 07:30:17 PM
I could be entirely wrong and I certainly don't think this applies to every forum member, but I got the feeling that a lot of us just give little to no fuck about the greater humanity and only place importance upon the humans we are in direct relation to or some of the better humans we interact with at work/school/what have you.

December 07, 2011, 08:09:34 PM
I definitely give a fuck about it academically, and to some degree with empathy. But that is because I am a healthy human being. I feel some here lack in empathy; not just in ignoring it when talking about greater matters but sorta overall. It would be obvious that with the ANUS message, such people would be preferably attracted. Or at least, that such sentiment would take root amongst people. Whichever way you want it.

December 08, 2011, 01:29:40 AM
I definitely give a fuck about it academically, and to some degree with empathy. But that is because I am a healthy human being. I feel some here lack in empathy; not just in ignoring it when talking about greater matters but sorta overall. It would be obvious that with the ANUS message, such people would be preferably attracted. Or at least, that such sentiment would take root amongst people. Whichever way you want it.

This may explain things ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

December 08, 2011, 01:37:18 AM
Sidereal, stating that is implied insult. I do not insult (I try :(). My moral fibre prevents it. If you mean it purely in an academic vein, I am aware, thanks bro.

That's not to say I can't kid about it though, so fuck yo momma.

December 08, 2011, 01:57:18 AM
Sidereal, stating that is implied insult. I do not insult (I try :(). My moral fibre prevents it. If you mean it purely in an academic vein, I am aware, thanks bro.

That's not to say I can't kid about it though, so fuck yo momma.

I meant it might explain parts of this forum, not you sir!

My basic contention, as i've argued elsewhere, is that compassion for the downtrodden, essentiallly, is not some quasi will to power of the 'just-better-than-downtrodden' so that they can advance the social ladder. Compassion for suffering, as Haidt outlines in his articles, is one of the 4 core moral 'limbs' that human beings grow. It is one of the basic components of evolved morality.

Obviously genetic features of human beings are characterised by variation between individuals. ANUS, being nihilist, should be open to the causes of its own perspective. It obviously attracts people who's psychological concern with compassion has a relatively higher threshold than the norm. Compassion is simply not activated as easily in many people around here. I'm not passing judgement, maybe this is required for mankind to continue evolving (read: living on this planet).

December 08, 2011, 02:25:11 AM
I agree and further submit that this is such essential truth that Haidt will find it resonating in every "tradition". By definition, tradition fits into Haidt's empirical, rational view; because the traditions that have persisted as forces obviously have something to them (whether it is objectively right/wrong, w/e). I further submit that if a particular tradition understood this very very well, it would be more objective, an ideal balance that leads to a net gain of knowledge (through continued existence guaranteed through moral safeguard + open-ness to experience). That actually leads me into a particular religion, though I accept that it need not be thus. There is a degree of faith involved still.

Still, if I believe what I believe, I must also believe in getting closer to an "objective" religion (obviously, my view is that this is already so; I mean for wide change), one entirely empirical. This fits in with the general sentiment here I think. The overall goal is the same. If my religion is true, then this is proselytization for me. Is that perspective helpful in your research? My justification?

I too meant parts of the forum. I would not insult them. My intent to cooperate with them does not allow me to. After all, deed matters.

December 08, 2011, 04:27:46 AM
I feel some here lack in empathy; not just in ignoring it when talking about greater matters but sorta overall.

Empathy is too often confused with sympathy. Sympathy for humanity, even the Sainted Weak, is a ludicrous proposition. Empathy is a given unless one is psychotic or mentally retarded.