Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Kepler-22b

Kepler-22b
December 07, 2011, 02:41:17 PM
"The Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has announced that it is back in business checking out the new [potentially] habitable exoplanets recently discovered by NASA's Kepler space telescope to see if they might be home to alien civilizations. The cash needed to restart SETI's efforts has come in part from the U.S. Air Force Space Command, who are interested in using the organization's detection instruments for 'space situational awareness'."

http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/12/07/0349259/us-air-force-pays-seti-to-check-kepler-22b-for-alien-life

If there are aliens there:

(a) Will they be human?

(b) Will they be more or less advanced than us?

(c) Will they be hostile?

Re: Kepler-22b
April 07, 2012, 01:00:53 AM
You're questions are interesting, but impossible to answer.

Unless... there is evidence that alien life has already visited earth. Life more complex than bacteria and perhaps capable of intentionally visiting. I would be interested to know if there is, but all information on the topic appears to be quite questionable.

April 07, 2012, 01:58:05 AM
"There's something funny going on," Big Jim was thinking to himself... "
"Maybe it's a UFO, or a picture up upon somebody's shelf..."

I've seen UFOs, twice, over several years, with identical appearance/colour, and identical motion characteristics.
One over Vancouver airport, and one 300 miles out into the Pacific, off Oregon.
No possible explanation. Nothing human-designed moves like that.

April 07, 2012, 03:02:19 AM
I have heard and read of other similar first hand accounts about things moving strangely in the sky, but to me that doesn't say to me "intelligent life is visiting us" just that "I saw something strange in the sky."

I do find accounts from aging ex-NASA guys kinda interesting:

Mitchell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5upFvipUAXs
Cooper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBhME9RCjc
Aldrin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpfvhdmhQy4

But who knows, maybe they're just going senile or making shit up to impress UFO groupies (do those exist?).

April 07, 2012, 03:20:59 AM
Well, for sure, many people make shit up, for who knows what reason.
I was once one of them.
Now I report what is, and nothing but.
I have personally witnessed two identical UFOs.
They exist, whatever they are.

April 07, 2012, 03:51:54 AM
I do not think you are lying. I only meant all that seems available are first hand accounts of seeing sky objects. AFAIK no other evidence exists.

April 07, 2012, 04:20:16 AM
I understood you perfectly. You raised a good point. I responded to it.
People lie all the time. In this way, I am not like them.
Fanciful invention is lying, just as much as the outright lie.

April 07, 2012, 04:28:08 AM
Crow, how do you know it's not some experimental military aircraft we just don't know about yet? I mean, I'm open to the idea of aliens and it'd be awesome if they exist, but ya gotta be skeptical.

April 07, 2012, 04:38:05 AM
Sure you do, and it may be, but nothing we've ever heard about can accelerate at hundreds of gravities, and stop just as quickly.

April 07, 2012, 06:54:59 AM
If there is alien life which is descended from the same origin as human life there is a possibility of coming across it at some point.  If there is alien life which is unrelated to life on Earth the probability of us ever coming across it is so close to zero as to not be worth considering.  Not only would it have to be located relatively close to us but it would also have to occur at the right time, for all we know there were alien races but they all became extinct billions of years ago, or perhaps an alien race will arise billions of years after the disappearance of humanity.

I heard some time ago of a theory which suggested that if we ever did encounter et life it would be in the form of beings that had advanced to the point that they had been able to transfer their conscious minds onto mechanical platforms, eliminating the temporal limitations imposed by death and also the inability of the biological organism to survive in a vacuum.  This seems interesting, if only as a possible path for humans in the future, but sounds too much like sci-fi rubbish for me to take seriously.

April 07, 2012, 07:04:58 AM
Sounds rather possible to me.
I know for a fact that the 'soul' - the true essence of consciousness - can be everywhere, everything, always.

April 07, 2012, 07:16:07 AM
I suppose it's also possible that life is not even a particularly uncommon phenomenon.  In this case I would say that it is still unlikely, but possible that we would encounter aliens.  I don't really see the point of speculating on the matter but then again here I am doing it.  I suppose it's one of those subjects that fascinates people even though there is almost no available information, kind of like the afterlife.

April 07, 2012, 07:23:47 AM
Good point. It's exactly like that.
Is there an afterlife? Do we reincarnate? We'll find out for sure, soon enough. The only requirement is patience.
Yet it is possible to know some of these generally unknowable things. Although perhaps not all.

It is a case of diminishing returns.
The energy I have expended and the time taken to expend it, to know what I know, is probably absurd.
Yet we undertake such expenditure, if we are so inclined.

I have no bias towards the existence, or not, of UFOs.
If one makes itself sufficiently in-our-faces, we will know about it, so there is no point.
But these dancing, zooming green lights I have seen...
Whatever they were, they were definitely there.

April 07, 2012, 11:56:30 AM
I know for a fact that the 'soul' - the true essence of consciousness - can be everywhere, everything, always.

You could write more on this. It might be a good idea.

In particular, the terms awareness, consciousness, identity, self, soul, etc. are tossed around without much clarity. You can help fix that, or at least get the discussion going.

April 07, 2012, 03:50:35 PM

You could write more on this. It might be a good idea.

In particular, the terms awareness, consciousness, identity, self, soul, etc. are tossed around without much clarity. You can help fix that, or at least get the discussion going.

The realization that completely changed my view on everything was that knowing and being cannot be separated.  One knows something to the extent that they assimilate it into their being, perfect knowledge is identity with its object.  Therefore reality is equally well defined by the terms being and consciousness.  The substance, 'consciousness', is present in all things but most directly manifested in animals and especially humans.  I think it is safe to say that reality as such is self-aware in some way, or that there are modes of consciousness that transcend the fragmented, individualized states in which we currently find ourselves.