Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Firefighters who won't fight for free

Firefighters who won't fight for free
December 07, 2011, 04:06:36 PM
Many of you may be pleased to see this example of non-Liberalist, non-equality, non-'handouts':

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/tennessee-family-home-burns-while-firefighters-watch-191241763.html

Though, in the USA, can't I get treated in an emergency room even if I have no money? And then work out the funds later?  Perhaps that would work in the case of 'pay-for-spray', too.

Re: Firefighters who won't fight for free
December 07, 2011, 05:10:08 PM
All of this is a surrogate for being able to say "We want only the smart productive people, not the parasites." If people were more like Stalin and were able to directly identify parasites and remove them, we would not have to depend on money and power to do the obvious.

December 07, 2011, 06:12:15 PM
All of this is a surrogate for being able to say "We want only the smart productive people, not the parasites." If people were more like Stalin and were able to directly identify parasites and remove them, we would not have to depend on money and power to do the obvious.

Using Stalin as an example is pretty flawed. He was massively paranoid and executed some for fabricated reasons which they were not guilty of. He was a piss poor leader that helped drive his country into ruin.

I agree with your sentiment though. I find it ridiculous that firefighting is mostly a volunteer job (barring places like NYC) - going into a burning building to save someone should not be done for free. Most firefighters deserve a good wage.

December 07, 2011, 06:29:08 PM
Some services of public good should be established by consensus at the expense of liberty. This is one of them.

No one is pleased by seeing someone come to harm unless their reason has damaged their nature (or the nature is flawed, they're fucking retarded). What I can do is recognize it as inevitable, recognize it as local, call the man a fool, the system not forceful enough, and the firefighters very concerned about their jobs.

NHA

December 11, 2011, 03:47:20 PM
I think Stalin and leaders in similar positions have pretty good reason for being paranoid. Historically wasn't the russian royal court known for being among the most cutthroat in the world?