Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Understanding Metal Complexity: Visual AIDS

Understanding Metal Complexity: Visual AIDS
December 07, 2011, 09:20:26 PM
I was listening to some stuff on youtube, some black metal and western classical (and indian classical, incidentally), and it occured to me how difficult it is to get people to understand complex melodies, or "phrase", whatever you call it. I say in advance that I lack a vocabulary in music, so I apologize if I ascribe the wrong word to something; I hope the meaning comes through. Anyway, there is a lot of western classical in a similar spirit (perhaps more refined in a sense) that emphasizes structure in the same way as some metal. I think that's widely agreed on here?

On youtube I was watching the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o and it occured to me how trivial it is to at least recognize each element as a separate musical "stream" when presented in this way. I wonder what the result would be if this was applied to a song like "Lost Wisdom", a simple and directly stated (yet deeply complex Edit: I should clarify, what it evokes is complex) black metal work. Should this be attempted in addition to purely academic notation? I believe it would assist in making people who are already interested take the next step into understanding. Perhaps people who wish to create their own works. Some people learn better through doing, some through seeing. I think it could be done, I don't know where to start going about it, thoughts?

Re: Understanding Metal Complexity: Visual AIDS
December 08, 2011, 05:48:28 PM
While this animation may not be entirely accurate as I simply spent 15 minutes compiling some tabs floating around on the internet, it is a good visual depiction as to how basic the average Burzum actually song is.  An advanced note: don't waste your time watching the entire four minutes.  If you are interested in how to create such a video, the program is called the Music Animation Machine.  You literally can just drag midi files into the program and it will do the rest.  What is actually pretty interesting is the ability to view a song as in accordance with an animated colored circle of fifths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbZa90udrxo

Re: Understanding Metal Complexity: Visual AIDS
December 08, 2011, 06:43:53 PM
Thank you for taking the time out to do that, it serves the purpose well. I'll see what results I get with Music Animation Machine, playing around with that should be fairly amusing.