Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Best article I've read lately

Best article I've read lately
December 20, 2011, 07:25:53 AM
The five best toys of all time

I'd quote from it, but I can't do that without calling the punchline, which would be really lame.

Re: Best article I've read lately
December 20, 2011, 09:18:00 AM
Wait....do you mean you can play with things that aren't manufactured pieces of plastic junk? WELL I NEVER!

I used to love sharpening sticks down and hardening them in a small fire. I would throw them like javelins and have a lot of fun. Play time is now soft and weak. Children now are glued to their Xbox 360 or PS3. To go outside would be too dangerous. Perhaps they would, gods forbid, FALL and scrape a knee! Quick, someone form a bureau of Victims With Scraped Knees and shut playgrounds down!

December 20, 2011, 09:57:55 AM
Sand, Stick, Ball, Rubber-band...

Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wOt2iXdc4

December 20, 2011, 02:15:53 PM
Blowgun. Metal plumbing pipe. 12cm of wire hanger for a dart. Writing paper and tape for a conical fin. Works like a champ.

December 20, 2011, 07:46:29 PM
I used to love sharpening sticks down and hardening them in a small fire. I would throw them like javelins and have a lot of fun. Play time is now soft and weak. Children now are glued to their Xbox 360 or PS3. To go outside would be too dangerous. Perhaps they would, gods forbid, FALL and scrape a knee! Quick, someone form a bureau of Victims With Scraped Knees and shut playgrounds down!

You know, I'm not one to defend the modern era, but don't you think this is verging on silliness? There were pampered kids (on videogames or otherwise) when you were little, there are kids who play outside all the time right now. Videogames are a mostly adult pursuit anyway.

December 20, 2011, 09:15:44 PM

You know, I'm not one to defend the modern era, but don't you think this is verging on silliness? There were pampered kids (on videogames or otherwise) when you were little, there are kids who play outside all the time right now. Videogames are a mostly adult pursuit anyway.

I see kids playing but I see way more indoors playing videogames, to be honest. Perhaps it is different where you are.

I do not think that it is a secret that kids are less active now a days, though.

December 21, 2011, 12:42:42 AM
I see kids playing but I see way more indoors playing videogames, to be honest. Perhaps it is different where you are.

I do not think that it is a secret that kids are less active now a days, though.

In some urban areas it's simply not safe for kids to play outside (or most urban areas, depending what city you're in) It was that way in the eighties and it's not getting any better. If the dealers, youth gangs and pedophiles don't harm the kids then the traffic will.

I liked the article too. But I was disappointed that ants or spiders weren't listed as a gift. Perhaps too politically incorrect because of supposed "animal abuse"?

December 22, 2011, 08:28:43 PM
When I was young we played outside with sticks, rocks, and other stuff.  Captured neighborhood animals like the odd bat, feral cat, and the assortment of arthropod critters.  We imitated wrestling and boxing ... having a great time of it all.  It was normal to come home bruised, scraped, dirty, and messy.  I feel that today's children are missing out on real, uncomplicated fun that also toughens without consequences.