Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The return of True Metal

The return of True Metal
December 27, 2011, 05:38:50 PM

The "metal" that is basically indie rock and punk flavored with metal stylings is fading out. What's replacing it is music that stays true to the spirit of metal.

It's not so much that true metal is a genre, but a label that bands are applying to their music to say that they are not part of the newer hybrid genre, and that they want to return to the spirit that produced the great music of the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s. The spirit is what allows bands to create music that carries the power of older metal, say fans, and many fans suggest that the newer music has lost that spirit because it's going in another direction. Whatever the case, the true metal movement is suggesting that metal isn't just a bunch of techniques and tropes, but a gestalt that ties them all together and communicates some kind of union with power and transcendence of the human condition, while more recent metal hybrids have been all about celebrating that human condition.

Complete with media mentions and clearer definitions, which I won't quote here.

Read the full article at  Examiner.com.

Re: The return of True Metal
December 28, 2011, 03:32:36 AM
Out of all the photos of Quorthon, someone had to choose the one where he is puckering his sexy lips for the return of true metal.

January 01, 2012, 03:26:19 AM
I knew that this was the best path ever since Engram came out.  Before that album, I thought that new great metal would have to be completely new and original.  It turned out originality wasn't lacking, but rather spirit and direction.  I gained a renewed respect for Graveland since, despite any flaws.

January 03, 2012, 12:21:33 AM
Out of all the photos of Quorthon, someone had to choose the one where he is puckering his sexy lips for the return of true metal.

I thought dude looked like he was just talking or some such actually.

January 04, 2012, 04:20:11 PM
It's a shot for an old interview where he's talking about other metal bands. Are people here really so surface that the only discussion in this thread has been about the pout?

Did I suddenly end up at Metal-Archives by mistake?

January 04, 2012, 10:25:16 PM
Black Sabbath is a blues band.

January 05, 2012, 12:18:07 AM
Well its not a very stimulating picture... at least not in the "lets talk metal" sense.  If i want to talk about the return of true metal im going to need a picture like this:

... and who said gay emo sex music has died? seems to me lots of people still eat that shit up and cant tell the difference between that and a band like Bathory.

January 06, 2012, 01:02:46 PM
The beauty of bands like bathory (Ildjarn, Profanatica and the like) is that it strips away almost ANY surface technique in favour of unleashing the raw, honest crux of the idea, there can be no mistaking whether it is true metal or not.