Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Re-issues are d-bag

Re-issues are d-bag
December 29, 2011, 11:17:20 PM
Why re-issues are douchebag:

As usual, the damned bonus live tracks to fuck up the reissue!!
I hate it!!!!

Nothing like hearing an album and then getting subjected to the SAME tracks in demo or live format, e.g. crappier and redundant.

It's better to just put out a 2CD set of complete demos & live so that it forms a unique listening experience.

"Re-mastering" that consists of loading it into Pro-Tools and wringing it louder with compression.

Apologetic liner notes and goofy pictures which totally ruin the mood. Save these for books like Murder in the Front Row or Glorious Times.

I'm no communist, but it seems to me that after the label has made its profit on the first run, the artist should get a bigger cut and the price should go down. Oddly it seems like the converse is true.

http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27211

E

Re: Re-issues are d-bag
May 29, 2012, 03:46:37 PM
Part of metal ethics should be: no fucking alterations of original masterpieces. The dumbest re-issue I came across recently was the Zyklon-B EP (2004), featuring a remix of 'Warfare'. Needless to say, that song dragged down the brilliant triptych and wrecked the album as a whole.

'Bonus'-tracks not only ruin the listening experience of an album in terms of narrative coherence and duration, but are often discordant to what the album was ment to communicate. A good metal album is a mature work of art that stands on its own. Like works of visual art, an album will need room to be fully appreciated for what it is. No distractions. Silence around an album is like the frame or empty space around a painting; it provides depth and allows for focus.

If a label feels the desparate need to help sell its shit out by adding extras, it should at least have the decency to divide the additions from the main work with a pause of 10-15 seconds; this method, customary in classical releases, would give the listener the opportunity to silence the medium before the shittily-produced, third-rate instrumental sketches or other initially dismissed material fill the room with redundant noise.

I'm not a collector, but I find myself buying overpriced first-presses to avoid bonus/malus-tracks. If the material ain't worth a release on its own, leave it on the shelf. It's a matter of CULTURAL HYGIENE.

May 29, 2012, 04:23:14 PM

I hate it!!!!

Nothing like hearing an album and then getting subjected to the SAME tracks in demo or live format, e.g. crappier and redundant.

It's better to just put out a 2CD set of complete demos & live so that it forms a unique listening experience.

"Re-mastering" that consists of loading it into Pro-Tools and wringing it louder with compression.

Apologetic liner notes and goofy pictures which totally ruin the mood. Save these for books like Murder in the Front Row or Glorious Times.

I'm no communist, but it seems to me that after the label has made its profit on the first run, the artist should get a bigger cut and the price should go down. Oddly it seems like the converse is true.

http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27211

Agreed. Fuck the badly recorded live tracks and stupid pictures (re-issues of Morbid Angel's first two albums immediately come to mind). Re mastering can be OK, depending on how necro the original recording was if this worked or not.

строительст
May 31, 2012, 08:30:21 PM
Что то слишком мудрено… И по-моему расчитано на блогера чем на вебмастера

строительст
May 31, 2012, 09:06:57 PM
Спасибо за статью, всегда рад почитать вас!

November 05, 2012, 05:15:31 AM

I hate it!!!!

I'd gladly pay for a completely separate CD with a bunch of bonus/live tracks than have my reissues marred by a bunch of shit I don't want to hear with my classic album. 

November 05, 2012, 05:27:33 PM
Supposedly, Century Media is reissuing Far Away from the Sun, but I guarantee that it will suck. Those two-for-one reissues of Runemagick's first three and Sacramentum's second and third full-lengths had one of the worst "remasterings" I've ever heard, actually physically painful to listen to. Luckily, I have the originals of all those albums now (including Sacramentum's debut EP and first full-length).

Dark Descent always does a great job with their reissues, but they're about the only one I trust consistently. Their Timeghoul digipack is legendary, and their Uncanny reissue did it properly by allowing the original album to stand on its own and putting the demos (which are also excellent) on a separate disc.

November 06, 2012, 12:18:23 AM
Supposedly, Century Media is reissuing Far Away from the Sun, but I guarantee that it will suck. Those two-for-one reissues of Runemagick's first three and Sacramentum's second and third full-lengths had one of the worst "remasterings" I've ever heard, actually physically painful to listen to. Luckily, I have the originals of all those albums now (including Sacramentum's debut EP and first full-length).

Dark Descent always does a great job with their reissues, but they're about the only one I trust consistently. Their Timeghoul digipack is legendary, and their Uncanny reissue did it properly by allowing the original album to stand on its own and putting the demos (which are also excellent) on a separate disc.

Two-for one reissues are also terrible.  Again, I will gladly pay the extra money to just have them separate, as our Blond-Haired, Blue-Eyed, German-Speaking Jesus "Bull Moose" Christ Himself Intended.
The Darkthrone reissue of TH was inferior to the original.  Whoever was in charge of that cleaned up too much of the original tape distortion, pops, etc.  Fortunately, I generally buy a reissue only if I want to listen to the album in the car, as I am fearful of the originals getting destroyed in the less-controlled environment of the car, so the 'improved' sound matters a lot less because one cannot listen too closely to music while driving.
Dark Descent is a label I gather?  Do you have a link?  Thanks.

November 06, 2012, 12:55:23 AM
Yeah, Dark Descent's a local Colorado label run by someone who's been into metal since the early '80s. They do a lot of cool stuff, like re-issuing classic albums properly and buying up Wild Rags' backstock and selling it on their webstore. Without Dark Descent, I wouldn't have gotten an original copy of the first Funeral album! They did a great re-issue of Death Strike's Fuckin' Death a while back.