Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Ironism

Ironism
January 01, 2012, 08:37:01 PM
In a new study in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a Harvard University team found that when your friends start liking the same indie bands as you, you’re more likely to stop liking those bands.

Kevin Lewis, lead study researcher and a Ph.D. candidate in sociology at Harvard, explains the science of why you’re a hipster: “The meaning of an indie/alternative taste rests not just in the taste itself—but also in being the only one among one’s friendship circle that expresses it,” he says. “If I like The Decemberists, and suddenly my friends start liking them too, suddenly I’m no longer socially distinctive. So this taste loses much of its appeal and I will run off in search of some new band to express my ‘hip’ identity.”

http://news.menshealth.com/science-of-hipsters/2011/12/23/

Socialization is as much a power grab game as monetization.

We whine about corporations, but rarely about peer pressure. They are the same force.

The only solution is more antisocial people. Be like the Finns. If see someone every six weeks, that's good -- but almost too much!

Re: Ironism
January 02, 2012, 01:49:27 AM
Well done, you found a study confirming your prejudices (80% of ANUS activity nowadays) and you didn't need any original thought.

Here's a thing, though. Without "hipsters" constantly on the lookout for more novel consumption, could potentially fulfilling art go unnoticed? This doesn't need to be restricted to the art world. However I don't expect an answer to this question, because this website stifles constructive dissent worse than North Korea and this post and account will be deleted as soon as it's noticed.

January 02, 2012, 06:03:51 AM
I haven't noticed many "hipsters" finding fulfilling art, if you could point me towards something profound and wonderful a hipster has created or found I'd be all for enjoying it regardless of the fact it was done/found by a hipster.

I'm not certain what makes you think you are going to be deleted from the taint of the anus though.

January 02, 2012, 06:39:40 AM
Well done, you found a study confirming your prejudices (80% of ANUS activity nowadays) and you didn't need any original thought.

Here's a thing, though. Without "hipsters" constantly on the lookout for more novel consumption, could potentially fulfilling art go unnoticed? This doesn't need to be restricted to the art world. However I don't expect an answer to this question, because this website stifles constructive dissent worse than North Korea and this post and account will be deleted as soon as it's noticed.

Don't mistake openness to experience with blind acceptance of experience for momentary interest. It's one thing to look for the truly fulfilling, and quite another thing to be a hedonist. These are incompatible. But yes, its certainly possible they could bring something to attention. Many unlikely things are possible, by definition.

January 03, 2012, 07:20:47 AM
The only solution is more antisocial people. Be like the Finns. If see someone every six weeks, that's good -- but almost too much!
Hate to be a dick, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Antisocial: Someone who rejects even the most basic rules of society, such as habitual felons.
Asocial: Someone who generally prefers to be by himself than to socialize, such as ass pies.

To remember, think of the Skrewdriver song. You know, the one they did before they turned to neonutzis.

January 03, 2012, 10:58:59 AM
 If that's your definition of antisocial, then most people fit the bill. Drive for twenty minutes or pay attention to office politics for a week.  Revenge, passive-aggression, butt-hurt egos over trivialities, miscommunications or something to prove = a cartoonish madhouse.

Many people here are borderline asocial, but that's because they need to filter out and avoid the many conversations over corn in shit, not to mention the constant bombardment of advertisements that have aversive effects on the way people communicate (shorter attention spans = poorer conversations).

Hipsters will stumble upon gems. So what? Classics will always get recognized in due time by people who classify them as classics, not flavors of the month.