Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal to be blamed for school shootings

Metal to be blamed for school shootings
October 09, 2006, 02:23:33 PM
The 17-year-old student who shot his way through his family and a tribal school in northwest Minnesota Monday (March 21), leaving 10 people dead, including himself, was described by a fellow student as a quiet boy who was into goth culture, listened to heavy metal music, wore "a big old black trench coat" and "talked about death all the time." - metal news for idiots

I think this one is going to come back. They can't blame the recent killings on heavy metal, but neurotic societies like to find some bogeyman, or Satan, so they don't have to admit the truth that the society itself is dysfunctional. Our morality is no longer held in common, our people behave like whores, money is all we pursue, our foreign policy is dominated by greed, and when our kids go nuts at the prospect of entering this world, let's blame heavy metal.

It seems to me that heavy metal fans everywhere should respond to this with the truth. Tell them that society's falling apart and heavy metal is one of the few voices that espouses values to be found anywhere. Everyone else is a whore. Shooting them might be kinder.

Re: Metal to be blamed for school shootings
October 09, 2006, 02:26:34 PM
Heavy metal also causes terrorism.

Only a few years ago, Gadahn was a Southern California teenager with interests in the environment, the Los Angeles Dodgers and heavy metal music. - news for couchbound idiots

The implication is clear: a few years of heavy metal and environmentalism (baseball is safe) and you'll be ready to join al-Qaeda.

Iconoclast_2

October 09, 2006, 02:28:14 PM
did he talk about death, or talk about Death?

I'm so fucking smart.

October 10, 2006, 03:34:46 AM

haven't seen a post more worthy of this pic.

October 10, 2006, 04:30:12 AM
Judas Priest, Kiss or Ozzy Osborne?

October 11, 2006, 02:24:14 AM
It's been a while since music's been blamed for anything.  More often than not, it's been video games as the primary scapegoat for stupid actions, terrible parenting, and social inequity.  Of course, this will not do in the least.  Music may shape a mood, but it cannot shape a person entirely.

October 11, 2006, 06:39:09 AM
That's good IMO if metal is blamed for these shootings even if it's misguided. We need to be feared and have society in awe of us in order to be taken seriously.

If society does not live in daily fear of us and our passionate hatred towards it, we will just become a laughingstock like the hippies. Despite their overbearing Judeochristian leanings, they will laugh off some of our artwork that glorifies death and Satan as cartoonish. I doubt a true heavy metal enthusiast would shoot up a school (maybe a church or synagogue), but if people think it's us it's an advantage for our side!

Myrrdin

October 11, 2006, 06:46:44 AM
That's good IMO if metal is blamed for these shootings even if it's misguided. We need to be feared and have society in awe of us in order to be taken seriously.

If society does not live in daily fear of us and our passionate hatred towards it, we will just become a laughingstock like the hippies.

Yes. Only forum posts like this one will stop people laughing at metal. Classic.

October 11, 2006, 09:58:33 AM
but if people think it's us it's an advantage for our side!

I really disagree with that. Metal especially underground metal only seems to be getting more and more exposure recently. The result is gay preteen  fanboys who turn it into a trend.  The only people who would see it as an advantage are sellout bands like Dimmu Borgir, CoF and Six Feet Under.

October 12, 2006, 03:28:59 AM

If society does not live in daily fear of us and our passionate hatred towards it, we will just become a laughingstock like the hippies. Despite their overbearing Judeochristian leanings, they will laugh off some of our artwork that glorifies death and Satan as cartoonish. I doubt a true heavy metal enthusiast would shoot up a school (maybe a church or synagogue), but if people think it's us it's an advantage for our side!

I fail to see how society will ever be "afraid" of heavy metal culture. The only social panic that can be attributed directly to metal is the christian based paranoia of the 1980s and the Norse bm church burnings of the 1990s. People such as this specific individual (if even remotely connected to metal music) only further make metallers look like socially retarded morons. Most metallers do this very well without killing anybody.

"Have society in awe of us?" How exactly does murdering a bunch of kids do this?

October 12, 2006, 04:49:21 AM
So you guys want heavy metal to be an irrelevant philosophy that's swept under the rug and never confronts society face to face. Great. Why are you here?

I'm trying to rally the metal community and you're just wrapped in defeatism talking like metal died 12 years ago and you just want to keep talking about how these bands were so great and sold out. Why do you even care unless you see metal as something still alive and changing that society must fear? What kind of board is this?

October 12, 2006, 07:38:28 AM
So i guess grabbing a gun and killing a bunch of kids is the best way to advance the cause of metal then.

October 12, 2006, 07:56:34 AM
So you guys want heavy metal to be an irrelevant philosophy that's swept under the rug and never confronts society face to face. Great. Why are you here?

I'm trying to rally the metal community and you're just wrapped in defeatism talking like metal died 12 years ago and you just want to keep talking about how these bands were so great and sold out. Why do you even care unless you see metal as something still alive and changing that society must fear? What kind of board is this?

"Never confronts society face to face"? There is nothing about the man's act that tells me he was confonting society face to face. He killed some kids then killed himself. Is that courageous? Is it indicative of a hessian frame of mind? I thought metal was (culturally) either about mentally uplifting oneself against the plague of the herd mentality or conforming wholesale to a music based subcultural identity and acting like a dick. He probably had some Pantera in his cd collection. End of story.

"Rallying" metal (sic) around such an individual is quite frankly absolutely fucking pathetic. The church burnings in Norway made a statement. What wisdom can be gleamed by this man's act except maybe plan your escape better next time you want to take a bunch of brainwashed kids hostage?

October 12, 2006, 02:40:40 PM
I remember when columbine happened, "heavy metal" was blamed.  And by heavy metal, they meant Linkin Park and Marilyn Manson.

October 12, 2006, 04:10:28 PM
rwja mirrors some concepts and exagerrates others, and certainly cannot use them in application (whether he's a troll or a fool, either way he both understands and thinks very little). A bit of a Zarathustra's ape.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want children running around killing people in my society. It's not a praiseworthy thing that this kind of thing happens in our day and age, and in fact it's this sort of symptom of sickness and madness that inspires the anti-modern attitude; why would we want to be connected to it in a promotional manner? Heavy metal certainly doesn't need nor desire recognition from our society, either, whether that recognition be fear or love. Hessians want actual change in the world. Subsequently, Hessians should lead by example in support of change. Anything else runs the risk of amounting to gossip, and any talk about Hessians is almost guaranteed this low-level status.

I see things simply like this: How Hessians are viewed is not up to us. We are not manipulators of the vision of the masses. We simply live the best lives we can, and whether people appreciate or fear us is up to them. How people react is useless and it's not something worth having power over when your actual goals aim at real change and shifting the minds of others onto real issues instead of the gossip of appearances. In a Hessian's ideal world, people aren't so obsessed with appearance, so why on earth would you be concerned over your own? If you're fighting for your appearance, you're operating in the modern's scheme of values. You don't concern yourself with appearances because if you're really living the best way you can, that's going to attract attention and in those moments when other people have their attention onto something you're actually doing and are interested in it, it is then they are the most open to considering the possibility of real change in their own lives.

We build the castle on the other side of the river. People can cross and help out if they want to. Eventually, they may have to, and by then the drawbridge may be up and it will be too late.