Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Definitive metal albums

Definitive metal albums
January 29, 2005, 07:30:30 PM
In all of any genre, there's a few that really nail what it is to be that genre, and these tend to be known to history while others are footnotes. Another "list shit that you think impressed you" thread is NOT needed, so please don't do the typical Internet shithead thing and list fifteen obscure bands that make you sound cool, in your own world. Instead, think about the handful of bands that defined metal.

Death Metal
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick, Covenant
Deicide - Legion
Demilich - Nespithe
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha

Black Metal
Burzum - Filosofem, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Enslaved - Vikinglgr Veldi

Speed Metal
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Megadeth - Peace sells...

Re: Definitive metal albums
January 29, 2005, 08:23:25 PM
In all of any genre, there's a few that really nail what it is to be that genre, and these tend to be known to history while others are footnotes. Another "list shit that you think impressed you" thread is NOT needed, so please don't do the typical Internet shithead thing and list fifteen obscure bands that make you sound cool, in your own world. Instead, think about the handful of bands that defined metal.

Death Metal
Acheron - Rites of the Black Mass **
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick, Covenant
Deicide - Legion
Demilich - Nespithe

Black Metal
Burzum - Filosofem, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Enslaved - Vikinglgr Veldi
Marduk - Opus Nocturne **

Speed Metal
Living Death - Vengeance of Hell **
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Megadeth - Peace sells...

**ADD

January 29, 2005, 08:32:20 PM
Death Metal
Gorguts- The Erosion of Sanity, Obscura, From Wisdom to Hate
Immolation- Failures For Gods, Close to a World Below
Demilich- Nespithe
Morbid Angel- Blessed Are the Sick
Adramelech- Pure Blood Doom

Black Metal
Burzum- Det Som Engang Var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Filosofem
Darkthrone- Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger
Immortal- Pure Holocaust
Emperor- In the Nightside Eclipse
Enslaved- Vikingligr Veldi

I'm largely unfamiliar with speed metal.

January 29, 2005, 09:11:58 PM
I'm relatively new to metal so my opinion shouldn't count much. Nontheless I back that Samael's WH(BM), Massacra's FH (DM) and maybe Baphomet's TDSI (DM) should fit inthere somewhere. Winter's ID too for the doomed n' defunct genre of Doom.
shnet

January 29, 2005, 09:36:23 PM
Final Holocaust probably should be there.

January 30, 2005, 06:53:41 PM
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Emperor - In The Nightshade Eclipse

I have yet to decide the definitive DM albums.

January 30, 2005, 07:30:35 PM
It's a difficult question to define in itself. I'm going to name the albums which I think epitomise the spirit of DM and BM respectively:

Death:
Demilich - Nespithe
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Immolation - Close to A World Below
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky...
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
Gorguts - Obscura
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity

Black:
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
Graveland - Thousand Swords
Sort Vokter - Folkloric Necro Metal
Demoncy - Joined in Darkness

January 30, 2005, 10:37:57 PM
Man, after going through my metal collection and trying to isolate the very BEST "once you've heard this you've heard it all" bands, I've been waiting for a thread like this. I'll have to think a bit about what (few) bands qualify, but at the moment I agree with SRP's suggestions about Death and Black metal; that stuff is essential. Regarding "Speed Metal", I'd substitute "Ride the Lightning" for "Master of Puppest" and probably drop "Peace Sells...".

One of the pitfalls with choosing bands that "defined a genre" is the fact that some bands deserve recognition for being innovative spearheading their own facet of the genre, even though they may not be as "good" as other contemporaries. For example, no one has made a mention of bands that represent the grindy "Sunlight" Swedish death style created (and possibly defined) by Nihilist, Carnage, Dismember, Entombed, God Macabre, etc. (unless Necrophobic qualifies), or the early DM sound typified by Possessed, Mantas/Death, Deathstrike/Master, Necrovore and Sepultura.

What about Heavy/Power metal? Surely there's room for Helstar on a list of genre-defining bands.

Annihilaytorr

January 31, 2005, 01:55:10 AM
Death Metal -
Necrovore - Divus De Mortuus
Deicide - Deicide, Legion
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Black Metal -
Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Burzum - Burzum, Det Som Engang Var
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark

Thrash/Speed Metal(whatever) -

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Metallica - Ride the Lighting
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Venom - At War With Satan
Slayer - Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood

When trying to come up with lists like this, several factors influence my selections. First would be the feeling the music creates with respect to my preceived idea of what each genre represents - what the genre "should" sound like.  I think the Mutiilation album is the blackest recording I have ever heard.  

Second would be the bands importance in relation to the development of the genre. Necrovore had DM nailed down before almost anyone else, and no one ever mentions them. Glad to see someone did.  That tends to conflict with the first factor however. I had to keep myself from typing Possessed several times. Dispite being "the first" DM band, they don't fully represent what Death Metal became, so probably don't belong on the list.  I run into the same problem with Sarcofago, Holocausto and several other Brazilian bands.

The third would be the bands that first helped me understand the philosophy of each genre.  For years I held None so Vile to be the end all of metal, these days I would probably agree with SRP in listing early Deicide and Morbid Angel as the definative DM bands.

Moonblood, Obituary, Monstrosity, Therion, Autopsy and some newer bands could be on there too, but then it might become a "favorite album" list, which is exactly what this thread is not supposed to become.

I would put some German thrash up there, but I would be lying.  

January 31, 2005, 04:04:19 AM
immediately i think to replace deicide with any number of bands: suffocation, immolation, at the gates, also maybe gorguts but they're not so "definitive" as they are "reinventive" to me.

i agree with under the sign of the black mark, to me that album is only definitive. it's the earliest album i own that i can say is black metal.

i found morbid angel's covenant boring and losing edge from blessed are the sick. even though in a sense it's not as death metallish i would have put altars before covenant for sure, and i think it shows you the foundation of much music thereafter.

also i have a soft spot for det frysende nordariket and forest poetry... most raw, simple, brutal essence of black metal beauty.

January 31, 2005, 12:27:14 PM
agree with most peoples suggestions (marduk??)

death
morbid angel - blessed are the sick
atheist - unquestionable presence
suffocation - effigy of the forgotten
deicide - legion

black
beherit - drawing down the moon
burzum - hvis lyset tar oss
darkthrone - transilvanian hunger
bathory - blood fire death

speed
metallica - master of puppets
slayer - reign in blood
-- really when talking about definitive speed metal they're the only two bands necessary to mention.

i notice no one has really mentioned trad metal or doom. what're peoples thoughts: are either worth considering here?

January 31, 2005, 03:53:18 PM
YA D00D MARDUK OWNZ LOL

Wolfbane

January 31, 2005, 08:27:27 PM
I sense an anti-Megadeth sentiment here. I was actually surprised(in a good way) by that choice. Only bands that need to be added here are At the Gates, therion to death metal(maybe sepultura) Emperor "In the Nightside Eclipse" to bm. Maybe a german thrash band to speed/thrash metal(any of the big 3) and maybe a new york band(even though there awful compared to other speed metal)

Megadeth should be kept on the list due to being the best example of the tharsh trad metal(is that correct) style of such bands as heathen and artillery.

Also Obituary's "Cause of Death" album I've thought of as the definitive death metal.

Annihilaytorr

January 31, 2005, 09:23:18 PM
Master of Puppets and Megadeth only have a place on a thrash metal list if one wishes to marginalize the genre, in the same sense a Dimmu Borgir, or Cannibal Corpse listing would do for their genres. Exodus and Dark Angel were as important as any of those mentioned. I did not add any German thrash because I find it to be very overrated(though it was very influencial).

Edit - Artillery could easily find themselves on the list as well.

"Dark Angel owns your soul" - Satan.

Wolfbane

January 31, 2005, 11:49:28 PM
Dark Angel are good I have to admit. really good actually. I always thought german thrash was underrated. Ahh what do I know probably is overrated.