Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Power/Progressive Metal: Not just for Pedophiles

Yes, and that's why we must ask ourselves some question, like : Why am I listening to this ? What does the artist really want to do with his music, except playing fast notes with non-conventional time signature ?

Prog metal is a tough pill to swallow after listening to stuff like Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd,  Jethro Tull, etc.

Uhm.... no.

RSF

Uh, yeah.

You can't honestly tell me stuff like Iced Earth, Nevermore, or even Fates Warning stands up against Genesis or King Crimson? Come on, that stuff can be entertaining but let's be realistic here.

Annihilaytorr

Freudian troll? Now I've seen everything.

Bah, we know who the troll here is.

RSF

About 3/4ths of us are trolls by my count.

indeed ...so the new list of
"bands who claim some smblamnce to prog-power-metal but dont make you wanna cringe, puke and die "

Queensryche
Fates Warning
Watchtower
Evergrey
old Blind Guardian ( first two albums)
old Savatage
Nevermore
Pain of Salvation

if someone had said "speed" instaed of power, the list would have been much bigger

and what of the extreme metal novelty / joke bands...they're preety fukin power-ful inplaces, and pretty proggy in other places..........

Cephalic Carnage
Dillinger Ecsape Plan
Farmakon
Opeth (i know.....)
Into the Moat
Ephel Duaath

Uh, yeah.

You can't honestly tell me stuff like Iced Earth, Nevermore, or even Fates Warning stands up against Genesis or King Crimson? Come on, that stuff can be entertaining but let's be realistic here.

They fulfill different needs. A certain mood or disposition will call upon classic Prog Rock acts and a rather different one when I want Iced Earth or Blind Guardian. For example you can't bang your head to Genesis. Music goes beyond rationality and is far more connected with emotions; therefore the emotions demand the music. So rationally concluding one artist being superior to another has no standing when it comes to actually deciding what to listen to. It's similar also to art, film and literature.  Just because Citizen Kane and 2001: A Space Odyssey are great films, isn't going to convince me to watch them all the time or during all moods. To be aware and credit how great they are is important and to at least once fully envelope myself into it, but again there is no profound cause to do so all the time.

Re: Power/Progressive Metal
March 05, 2012, 11:07:41 PM
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, the crowd might be right?

There's nothing intelligent about force and war.  In fact, it is the inverse.  They're childish concepts stemming from sexual frustation and subconscious guilt.

Maybe I'm talking to a corpse, but force is the very thing that maintains the semblance of peace in our society, which you seem to like based on your posts in this thread.

Good point. If we were to construct an axiom, would an atrophying of the will constitute increased maturity and intellect opposing the inverse, force-therefore-stupid? What dubious morality.

Amdist the sea of flowery dreck in today's power metal scene, Lost Horizon stands head and shoulders above the rest. Ethereal Magnanimus, aka Daniel Heiman, has a voice that emanates pure manliness; he may well be the most powerful singer since Bruce Dickinson.  Transcendental Protagonist, aka Wojtek Lisicki, forges songs that shine with thunder, force, and might. This band is pure majesty, check 'em out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj5PWLXC7Qo (be sure to watch part 2)

http://www.oncelosthorizon.com/aflametothegroundbeneath/bandmessage.html (a manifesto of sorts, they hit the nail on the head with their definition of metal as a way of life.)

Amdist the sea of flowery dreck in today's power metal scene, Lost Horizon stands head and shoulders above the rest. Ethereal Magnanimus, aka Daniel Heiman, has a voice that emanates pure manliness; he may well be the most powerful singer since Bruce Dickinson.  Transcendental Protagonist, aka Wojtek Lisicki, forges songs that shine with thunder, force, and might. This band is pure majesty, check 'em out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj5PWLXC7Qo (be sure to watch part 2)

http://www.oncelosthorizon.com/aflametothegroundbeneath/bandmessage.html (a manifesto of sorts, they hit the nail on the head with their definition of metal as a way of life.)

I like this band too, as goofy as they might be. Invert the feral negative energy of early Deicide and you end up with the spirit of Lost Horizon.