Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Personalised domain suffixes up for grabs

Phoenix

January 12, 2012, 07:51:46 PM

New domain name suffixes are being auctioned off this week in an attempt to widen the spectrum of website domains available to be hosted across the web

. . . These new domain names will be restricted to a high-income market, as it will cost roughly $US185,000 ($NZ232,000) to apply and at least $25,000 a year to keep the domain maintained.

In addition to these high costs, a ten-year commitment is required, raising the total maintenance bill to around $US250,000 for a decade of hosting one of these domains.

So you could have addresses like http://www.DarkLegionsArchive.anus, http://www.StudiesCenter.hessian, etc. I hope a precious metals mining company doesn't buy .metal before I do.

Re: Personalised domain suffixes up for grabs
January 12, 2012, 08:17:36 PM
Wow.  That's expensive.  Is that some kind of scam, or is my back woods lifestyle just not prepared for this world?

Phoenix

January 12, 2012, 08:23:06 PM
It's going to be confusing at first, but I'm warming up to the idea. One thing against it is that it disenfranchises people who dished out lots of money for select dot com addresses. Also I should mention that after someone applies for a suffix there's a two-month period during which you can submit any complaints if you believe the suffix would infringe on your copyrights.

January 12, 2012, 08:26:54 PM
My dot com address costed 50 dollars.  Is there something I am missing?

Phoenix

January 12, 2012, 08:29:40 PM
It's a novelty and a marketing thing. I mean ".com" says nothing about your brand, it detracts from your URL. These new suffixes may do better in the search engines too. For more obscure brands, it gives legitimacy if you've never heard of the brand before since you know it cost them $250,000 to set up. And it's more international as the suffix does not need to be roman characters.

January 12, 2012, 08:46:22 PM
But mine cost 50 dollars.  This is ridiculous, and if they want to waste their money on it, they can be my guest.  If I saw a company do this, I would instantly think they are into vanity advertising and that they weren't efficient with money, giving what I know about it now.

January 12, 2012, 09:49:46 PM
You think this money would make a difference for coca cola to have coca.cola?

January 12, 2012, 10:05:46 PM
not to be confused with pepsi.cola1

January 14, 2012, 07:43:31 PM
I see this as a bulge until google finds a way to patent keyword-based internet locations.

January 14, 2012, 09:08:04 PM
They're definitely pricing these out of reach of joe and really small start ups, but maybe that's the point.