Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Deicide

Deicide
January 12, 2012, 11:54:57 PM
Like many bands, this one is schizophrenic depending on who does the songwriting.

After listening to Legion so much, I can sometimes barely stand the first album. It's good -- but cartoony, compared to what came later.

Speaking of cartoony, I love Once Upon the Cross but this is clearly a less artistic, less subtle, more radiantly angry band.

After that, they lost me. I tried to like Serpents of the Light but eventually the sing-song nature and "priests raped me" pity-themes drove me away.

Re: Deicide
January 13, 2012, 12:22:42 AM
I like Serpents of the Light actually, mostly because I am amazed that a hybrid of black metal guitar style with death metal composition ends up sounding like Grindcore (or maybe like German band Blood), probably due to the way the vocals were created, at a very high and chanting level, almost like hardcore music. 

This brings us to the problem of the album and that is that when the vocals are loud, you can decifer them, and like you said, God rapes blah blah blah over and over again sounding very near to Peter Steele gets pretty old fast.  The doomish and symphonic guitar melodies keep bringing me back though, because they always resolve in an interesting way with the song structures, even though those structures are pretty basic. 

Deicide is over all a solid band until their two crappy albums after Serpents, which Glan claims was done on purpose.  I don't know about that, nor do I know if they did anything of merit after those albums came out, because I have never heard anything good said about their newer albums, and I didn't suspect they suddenly got better.

January 13, 2012, 01:04:02 AM

After listening to Legion so much, I can sometimes barely stand the first album. It's good -- but cartoony, compared to what came later.

This band is a cartoon. Glen Benton is such a burnt out piece, the band should be boycotted.  

I love the first album though, don't call it cartoony! That album has passion and integrity pouring out of it, definently a MUST have!  What is it that you find cartoony?  Putting it beside Legion will obviously make it look like the smaller of the two but I think in general most Death Metal looks weak when compared to Legion.  It is such a serious and confrontational album, it scares most people I have ever unleashed it upon.

EDIT:  When the fuck is Legion getting reissued on vinyl???

January 13, 2012, 01:27:57 AM
Legion is Deicide's equvilant to Metallica's Justice For All, in that the band took a huge artistic risk by making something that was far more technical and less rock-like than metal had been previously, and had something of an artistic success with it, but since the fans didn't come pouring in (they came, but not as quickly as the band wanted) they decided to just get dumber and dumber until they were household names, though it didn't work out as well for Deicide since to this day only metal fans know who they are. 

Both albums are what metal is all about, and both albums were abandoned both in progress of the band artistically and even as a feature in the live shows of either band as little but a hit here or there is played from either album on current tours.  I think Metallica said they didn't like seeing their audience getting "bored" during nine minute songs, while Glen on the other hand just got tired of playing complicated music.

January 13, 2012, 02:32:24 AM
I had to throw on the debut album after reading this thread.  Good comparison, Legion to ...And justice for all , the peaks of both bands.  Speaking for both bands, i think they both made their mark with those albums, there was no room for growth because they perfected the vision in one album.

I hate that song "One" off that Metallica album though, they fucked up every album after KILL EM ALL with those gay slow songs( fade to black, sanitarium, one).   Anyways...

January 13, 2012, 06:36:21 PM
Sanitarium is such an emo song:

Sanitarium, leave me be
Sanitarium, just leave me alone

Seriously, those could be Asking Alexandria lyrics.

Serpents of the Light would be way better if the vocals didn't suck so much. Glen Benton's vocals were great on the first two albums. I don't know what happened after that. He just got lazy and started "cookie monstering" every line, I guess.

Serpents has some really good composition (big step up from Once Upon The Cross), but the vocals are just shit.

January 13, 2012, 10:07:03 PM
Sanitarium is such an emo song:

Sanitarium, leave me be
Sanitarium, just leave me alone

Seriously, those could be Asking Alexandria lyrics.

Right on. After its initial burst of anger, rage and violence, thrash/speed-metal went all sorts of "emo" lyrically(and perhaps not a little musically too) for some reason. This is largely why, at the time, I just lost all touch with thrash/speed-metal, and moved on blissfully to Death and Black Metal, essentially never looking back. While I absolutely LOVE the early Thrash/Speed masterpeices unto the day - what came swiftly thereafter was often a bunch of bleeding-heart bilge in song and verse!

January 16, 2012, 12:43:16 PM
The first Deicide album was some of the first metal I ever really got into so I still have a soft spot for their old stuff. Though I find Once upon the cross is a bit too simple and blockheaded to really enjoy nowadays, and I wouldn't bother with anything after that. I guess the band kind of fullfil the same purpose as Profanatica, Slayer, Impaled Nazarene etc. as pure and simple blasphemy, it's just that I'm way past that stage at this point. Regarding being raped by priests, well that pretty much says it all; who wouldn't become a narcisistic/borderline self-harming PD as a result?

January 29, 2012, 09:50:41 AM
Like many bands, this one is schizophrenic depending on who does the songwriting.

Speaking of cartoony, I love Once Upon the Cross but this is clearly a less artistic, less subtle, more radiantly angry band.

After that, they lost me. I tried to like Serpents of the Light but eventually the sing-song nature and "priests raped me" pity-themes drove me away.

I'm pretty sure it was you who convinced me to give Legion another spin after I had some limp dicked rant about how I didn't like it or get it. From UG that is.

Now its my go-to album for anything manly. Usually makes a great companion to weightlifting. The breakneck intensity and jagged melodic narration catapults it above and beyond it's peers.

January 30, 2012, 02:52:43 AM
In the "Scars of the Crucifix" documentary, Glenn Benton said they let the drummer Steve Asheim write pretty much all the music on "Once Upon the Cross."

At that point, the Hoffman brothers had basically lost interest in the band and just showed up for their paychecks.

January 30, 2012, 02:35:58 PM
Cartoonishness seems to have been present in a fair amount of older death metal material.  Obituary and Rigor Mortis immediately come to mind, as does Journey Into Mystery.  Early black metal bands had some of this, too (e.g. Hellhammer, NME, VON, Mercyful Fate, Venom).  Even Profanatica / Havohej have this to a degree.

Paul Speckmann's work had a lot of dark humor to it, though that isn't exactly the same.

I've never found anything particularly wrong with it.  I have a much greater problem with metal becoming self parody.

On point, tough: Legion has always had heavy rotation for me, while the self titled gets played only once in a blue moon.