Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Ancient - Trolltaar

Re: Ancient - Trolltaar
January 30, 2012, 11:45:47 PM
Why is this a "hey gaiz chk mah muzak tastez lol" thread?  These things shouldn't even exist on this board.

Social validation is important for confirming truth of internal experience.

January 31, 2012, 02:49:03 AM
Stuff I 'should' listen to more according to what consensus says is good or I know is on some level genuinely commendable, but that doesn't seize me with a great urge to listen to it like it maybe once did:

Immolation after the first album
Entombed
Death - Human
Cynic - Focus
Iron Maiden
Godflesh

I have a similar debacle with these. Iron Maiden is too pop for me; so are Death and Cynic. Entombed is too rock 'n' roll. Immolation is too straightforward. Godflesh had one great album and a bunch of forgettables. The great album almost needs to be ritualized...

Stravinsky

I am less than fond of this composer. In general, he seems obvious. Emotionally, if not musically.

Darkthrone's black metal material
Ildjarn
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Gorguts
Burzum - Filosofem
Ambient music

I don't listen to Gorguts, Emperor, Ildjarn or Darkthrone much at this time, but that's mostly from overdosing.

I do listen to an assload of Beherit and Incantation.

Ambient music? -- I prefer the older, but still enjoy it.

All of this is as a minority, with the majority of my listening being classical. It's the next "high" after metal. It's intense and requires a lot of mental focus. Right now that appeals.

January 31, 2012, 02:49:28 AM
Why is this a "hey gaiz chk mah muzak tastez lol" thread?  These things shouldn't even exist on this board.

Social validation is important for confirming truth of internal experience.

This whole board is a meat market for bicurious intellectual metalheads.

February 02, 2012, 12:02:02 AM
meat market

bicurious

I see what you did you sly motherfucker.

Anyways, I've always thought of Ancient as being COF's retarded stepbrother. I'll definitely look into this EP and other early work from this band after seeing the praise from some members here.

February 02, 2012, 12:04:47 AM
Iron Maiden is only good at parties when you want to make an ass of yourself and attempt to sing along like Bruce Dickinson.  2 Minutes to Midniiiiiight!!

February 03, 2012, 01:02:25 PM
FUNNY ANECDOTE TIME, COMMENCE:

In my first year at University, we were having a party for our hall in the dorms.  The guy who lived opposite me (still a close friend) is an amateur DJ, and he had done a playlist and everything.  At some point in the late evening, after a bottle and a half of Jägermeister, I suddenly heard Number of the Beast come on over the speakers.  Slightly wasted, I punched straight up in the air while uttering an exhiliarant "OUGH", only to feel my hand connect with Metal, hear an eerie screeching, and turn my head to the ceiling to notice that I'd not only punched out one of the panels, but I'd actually dented it.

Hand was fine, Maiden was awesome, and everything went better than expected.

February 03, 2012, 02:28:50 PM
Anyways, I've always thought of Ancient as being COF's retarded stepbrother.

After the first two releases, sadly, you are 100% correct. Not only retarded, but molesty.

February 04, 2012, 05:27:35 PM
I hope i never accidently hear these later releases you all speak of.  Svartalvheim is an A+ album though and should be heard by all, the EP doesn't do anything for me personally.

February 06, 2012, 03:01:05 AM
Trolltaar is timeless! Romantic and exquisite! Much like Emperor's Hordane's Land!

NHA

February 09, 2012, 10:05:25 PM
Ancient could have been an interesting band if Aphaalsdlzelaelaealel diddn't have such bad taste.

One of the versions of Call of the Absu Deep is pretty good though and i must shamefully admit i like the intro to Willowthewisp haha.

February 09, 2012, 11:45:31 PM
Emperor's Hordane's Land!
Do you mean Enslaved's Hordane's Land or the Emperor EP that was put out as a split with it?

February 11, 2012, 06:40:13 AM
Yes. When I first obtained that album (Emperor/Enslaved), I could not stop spinning it. It resonated with me quite well, as if I had all these emotions trapped inside only later to become channeled after listening to that album. Later when I heard Trolltar, I knew something was similar...it was then when my fascination of romantic and melodic Black Metal began.