Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Sadly, our science is bullshit

Re: Sadly, our science is bullshit
March 07, 2012, 05:23:26 PM
  • Traveling 30 miles by car.
This, again, is a massively (and conveniently) overlooked problem in the media. Since the introduction of catalytic converters as standard, it has become an accepted falsehood that there are no carcinogenic emissions in vehicle exhaust. This is not true - they have merely been cut by a vast amount. But a tiny amount of toxic emission from a single vehicle, compounded by the huge increase in the number of private motor vehicles in the last 3 decades makes this a huge and real danger for any human living below the smog clouds of an urban area.

March 07, 2012, 09:05:53 PM
"Sadly, our science is bullshit..."

Sadly? No. It is good that people become aware of this truth.
Science is bullshit.

It is what it is.
Theorizing why it is what it is, changes nothing.
Neither does 'proving' it is what it is.
It is what it is, and nothing else.
Now, if science was about being able to recognize what it is...

Class, today we will learn to see what we are looking at.
We will not mess with it, or define it, or conjecture about it, or change it in any way.
We will simply leave it alone and take it into account.
We will learn to be able to recognize it, the next time we encounter it.
We will remember what it is.
We will refer to this activity as 'Science'!

Squawk!

Phoenix

March 07, 2012, 10:55:53 PM

Science is bullshit.

It is what it is.

We will not mess with it, or define it, or conjecture about it, or change it in any way.

I understand the Taoist bent to point out merely that what is, is, but you sure go about it long-windedly.

March 07, 2012, 11:14:17 PM
Study finds heavy metal music really does make innocent children devil worshipers:

The study involved 148 undergraduate students, who were told they would be participating in a study concerning the funding of student groups on campus using tuition funds.

When each participant arrived for the study, they were told to wait for the beginning of the session. They were placed in a waiting room with music playing softly in the background. They were not allowed to have access to any other media, including music players, computers, phones or reading materials.

Participants sat for seven minutes while the music played in the background. They listened to one of three types of music: mainstream rock (artists included Bruce Springsteen and The White Stripes), Top 40 pop music (including Justin Timberlake, Fergie and Akon and Gwen Stefani), or radical white power rock (including the bands Prussian Blue, Screwdriver, and Bound for Glory).

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/586442/

Just kidding. Study found that 7 minutes of radical white power rock really does transform innocent children into wicked haters needing reform education. This is credible. Seriously.

WTF IS THIS $H!T???  148 STUDENTS, 7 MINUTES OF MUSIC...AND THERE ARE CONCLUSIONS TO BE DRAWN FROM THIS?!?!??  WHO DREAMS THIS OBSCURE, FLIMSY CRAP UP???
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

Phoenix

March 07, 2012, 11:24:55 PM
WTF IS THIS $H!T???  148 STUDENTS, 7 MINUTES OF MUSIC...AND THERE ARE CONCLUSIONS TO BE DRAWN FROM THIS?!?!??  WHO DREAMS THIS OBSCURE, FLIMSY CRAP UP???

Since when is it surprising that people are easily influenced by the stimuli they perceive? Anyways, a smaller-sized study can still be valid, what's important are the actual study results and how statistically significant they are... I don't have those figures. Also keep in mind that this study "suggests" a hypothesis it does not insist on a conclusion, the people running it wish to conduct further experiments to examine the matter further, and the study should have a section in it detailing the possible errors or inconsistencies that could have gotten into its calculations (how the media chooses to frame the study is a separate issue).

March 08, 2012, 12:33:32 AM

Science is bullshit.

It is what it is.

I understand the Taoist bent to point out merely that what is, is, but you sure go about it long-windedly.

I understand the asshole bent, and you sure go about it efficiently.
I follow my course with the precision and security of a sleepwalker

March 08, 2012, 12:35:53 AM
Volunteers given the beta-blocker, used to treat chest pains and lower heart rates, scored lower on a standard psychological test of "implicit" racist attitudes.
Scientists believe the discovery can be explained by the fact that racism is fundamentally founded on fear.
Co-author Professor Julian Savulescu, from Oxford University's Faculty of Philosophy, said: "Such research raises the tantalising possibility that our unconscious racial attitudes could be modulated using drugs..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9128888/Heart-disease-drug-combats-racism.html

The science is all there: Racists = Cowards.

I hope that when they administer the thought-altering medication drugs that they also slip in one for chemical castration: we don't want weak cowards soiling our gene pool!

March 08, 2012, 12:39:12 AM
WTF IS THIS $H!T???  148 STUDENTS, 7 MINUTES OF MUSIC...AND THERE ARE CONCLUSIONS TO BE DRAWN FROM THIS?!?!??  WHO DREAMS THIS OBSCURE, FLIMSY CRAP UP???

Since when is it surprising that people are easily influenced by the stimuli they perceive? Anyways, a smaller-sized study can still be valid, what's important are the actual study results and how statistically significant they are... I don't have those figures. Also keep in mind that this study "suggests" a hypothesis it does not insist on a conclusion, the people running it wish to conduct further experiments to examine the matter further, and the study should have a section in it detailing the possible errors or inconsistencies that could have gotten into its calculations (how the media chooses to frame the study is a separate issue).

These people are wasting time and money on minutia.  Yes, people are influenced by stimuli.  There, I'm a scientist.
I follow my course with the precision and security of a sleepwalker

NHA

March 08, 2012, 01:10:42 AM
Haha wtf isn't motivated by fear is a better question.

I bet half of our social rituals are based off showing someone in short order that you aren't here to slit their throat.

March 08, 2012, 05:34:31 AM
Uh, most of life is based off of or motivated by some sort of fear. So...

but the real terrifying thing here is in this quote:

Such research raises the tantalizing possibility that our unconscious racial attitudes could be modulated using drugs..."

Do you seriously want some leftists deciding whether or not to drug you because you have certain views on race? Lets face it, all of us here would be drugged even though most of us are not really racists.

March 08, 2012, 05:58:32 PM
I agree with the OP. And I believe we can't start early enough to stamp out evil racism. So they should start by drugging these kids and every other kid who fails the glorious doll test!

After all who needs IQ tests and mass executions when you have doll tests and anti-racist drugs to cure bigots? A brighter future is ahead of us!

March 08, 2012, 05:59:22 PM

Well then, it is fortunate that I didn't write a whole book about this subject.
Squawk!

March 08, 2012, 06:32:09 PM
The problem lies in the fluid definition of 'racism'.
When words can subjectively accuse, and randomly destroy lives, better to be illiterate and mute.

Squawk!

March 10, 2012, 11:36:46 PM
Load someone up with beta blockers and stick them in a plexiglass tank with scorpions and they would also be less stressed than without the beta blocker.

Let me guess. They failed to create control studies on the stressor side.

NHA

March 11, 2012, 02:28:30 AM
They conveniently forgot i'm sure.

Where was it that i read about multi tiered approaches to propaganda? IIRC they separated people into three major groups mostly based on level of education. The higher level tiers involved funding and disseminating garbage studies that give a foundation for supporting your cause in technical fields and then having a separate social analysis of it that cherry picks facts to support whatever conclusion you want to feed to people. Eventually this trickles down through the media to the lower tiers along with more base forms of propaganda mixed in for good measure.

Its amazing how deliberate some of the misdirection is. Like that meme that says something along the lines that the genetic difference is less than 1% between races yet leaves out the fact that mice are 98% similar to humans.