Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Sadly, our science is bullshit

Re: Sadly, our science is bullshit
March 11, 2012, 04:05:16 AM
Right. Plus, the obvious on the study group side: let's only study racism, which as everyone accepts, is a white people only disorder. As if preference (I like cats, dogs are yuck) is a disease. This is not science, or even an accident, it is pure systematic propaganda. And that is a flimsy structure supported only by the boundless ignorance of our great mass of asshat ignoramous equals.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

Phoenix

March 12, 2012, 06:17:36 PM
WTF IS THIS $H!T???  148 STUDENTS, 7 MINUTES OF MUSIC...AND THERE ARE CONCLUSIONS TO BE DRAWN FROM THIS?!?!??  WHO DREAMS THIS OBSCURE, FLIMSY CRAP UP???

Since when is it surprising that people are easily influenced by the stimuli they perceive? Anyways, a smaller-sized study can still be valid, what's important are the actual study results and how statistically significant they are... I don't have those figures. Also keep in mind that this study "suggests" a hypothesis it does not insist on a conclusion, the people running it wish to conduct further experiments to examine the matter further, and the study should have a section in it detailing the possible errors or inconsistencies that could have gotten into its calculations (how the media chooses to frame the study is a separate issue).

These people are wasting time and money on minutia.  Yes, people are influenced by stimuli.  There, I'm a scientist.

I agree it's not terribly productive work. In an ideal society we would have lots of time and resources and people would be able to conduct all the studies they want. The marketplace of ideas is open to free speech and lots of bad ideas do get out there, but it's a process. Science is a good area to mess around in, as many discoveries are made by accident. And if it makes the researchers happy to do their studies, then so be it, but in today's society we don't have very much time and resources to waste. I think on some spectrum this study better than reading celebrity gossip magazines, but it's true that it leaves much to be desired.

March 12, 2012, 09:28:23 PM
@Transcix:  right.  I also notice something as a broad trend.  It's one thing for science to study and figure out the outside world, but I'm noticing all this "science" that is obsessed with what's going on inside our head.  It's narcissistic to be so obsessed with ourselves.  It's almost as if we're treating ourselves like lab rats.
I follow my course with the precision and security of a sleepwalker

March 13, 2012, 01:21:53 AM
Some would say that what goes on inside our heads is reality.
And on certain levels, they are probably right.
Science would properly be used to discover what those certain levels are, and what they are not.
So finally the parrots would know what to parrot, and what not.
Squawk!

Phoenix

March 13, 2012, 02:52:44 AM
Some would say that what goes on inside our heads is reality.
And on certain levels, they are probably right.
Science would properly be used to discover what those certain levels are, and what they are not.
So finally the parrots would know what to parrot, and what not.

Hmmmm, so the scientists will understand what's in the head, but they won't actually *experience* it for themselves. A clever Zen trick. And all the while, you correlate scientific knowledge with 'parroting' or rubbish... without backing the argument up. I love your Zen, and for the same reasons I refuse to allow Zen to be used this way.

March 13, 2012, 05:28:14 PM
"And all the while, you correlate scientific knowledge with 'parroting' or rubbish... without backing the argument up.

Was I ambiguous, or did you understand what you wanted to understand?
Parroting referred to the parrots who parrot scientific dogma.
Not to the ones who originate it. 

No doubt, a great deal of science is scientific, and of use.
While a great deal more is not.
The least use of all are the ones who, understanding none of it, parrot the science around as if it were The Word Of God.

You love my Zen? I suppose that's good. I was not aware I had any.

Squawk!

Phoenix

March 13, 2012, 06:43:17 PM
"And all the while, you correlate scientific knowledge with 'parroting' or rubbish... without backing the argument up.

Was I ambiguous, or did you understand what you wanted to understand?
Parroting referred to the parrots who parrot scientific dogma.
Not to the ones who originate it.  

No doubt, a great deal of science is scientific, and of use.
While a great deal more is not.
The least use of all are the ones who, understanding none of it, parrot the science around as if it were The Word Of God.

You love my Zen? I suppose that's good. I was not aware I had any.

You said clearly and repeatedly in this thread that science is bullshit. If you're now saying that some science is good and some isn't, you're changing your position. Don't be smug and pretend I have trouble comprehending what you're talking about.

I did say Zen instead of Taoism, but you have too much ego to support either of them.

March 13, 2012, 08:08:04 PM
I have no position.
I say what I mean.
My view undergoes modification, as I go. Doesn't yours?
Are you a Zen/taoism expert who assigns ego to people?
I am used to this.

Perhaps you feel I do not accord you sufficient respect?
I have no control over that.

Science is bullshit.
Not all scientists are aware of this: they do their best.
Are you happier with that?

Squawk!

March 14, 2012, 05:47:09 PM
Science is bullshit.
Not all scientists are aware of this: they do their best.

Science, a human invention... usually bullshit because it's a human invention.

Reality... not a human invention... rarely bullshit.

March 14, 2012, 07:42:03 PM
Science, a human invention... usually bullshit because it's a human invention.
Reality... not a human invention... rarely bullshit.

'Rarely'?
Can reality ever be bullshit?
Reality is what-is. Beyond judgment. To judge reality is the domain of the insane.
Reality is a yardstick, against which the doings of men may be measured.
Unfortunately, men specialize in losing their ability to recognize reality.
With all-too-visible results.

Squawk!

March 23, 2012, 03:06:08 AM
The thread title is misaligned with the actual aim. Combined with the content thus far, we end up with a sweeping generalization. It should be titled bad experiments confirm journalist biases, who wish they had conclusive studies.

”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

March 23, 2012, 05:04:21 AM
This entire thread is in itself a study in confirmation bias.

Reality is what it is. But how can humans interpret reality? Mysticism? Magic? Deities? These things leave us committing infanticide, destroying tigers for their penis, and teaching creationism in schools. Science is as all things humans create and thus will be flawed and subject to the failings of humanity. But science is the one way we can translate and understand reality.

Yes, it is ok to appreciate and admire classic European culture. Yes, vikings ate meat. No, humans didn't live nearly as long then. Yes, meat correlates with cancer. No, that doesn't mean eating meat shames your viking ancestors or is part of the attack on Eternal Values, whatever the fuck those are.
Lettin' nillas know.

I hope our aryan overlords will emerge form their l secret base below antartica and wipe all of those under 500 of IQ And don't have the ability to mindtravel into the Xerces Galaxy.

March 23, 2012, 01:28:40 PM
The disease of this forum is to say "it's all bull shit , I give up, " too quickly. People here are so defensive and unstable they want answers they can rely on , absolutely, in any situation. If you try for that you receive answers that are really just details, no big picture at all.

Science is treated like a religion now. The media and people defer to it like it is absolute. That is unhealthy since the original idea of science was that all knowledge was possible, but that we could understand some details. It is not meant to be a world view. It is not a life style or a God. It is just a tool, like knowing how to tie your shoes. I think it's bull shit because it's easy and doesn't tell us what we really need to know about life. Experiments are rote work. I like technology but it's not like it's really advancing to any god like state soon.
but i'm not sure if i can tinkle in front of a crowd.

March 23, 2012, 10:57:38 PM
Reality is what it is. But how can humans interpret reality? Mysticism? Magic? Deities? 

Confirmation bias? What's that? Sounds like one of those leftist attack-terms designed to undermine all those they are so tolerant of.
Interpreting reality is - in a nutshell - all that is wrong with humans. To insert a layer of separation between reality and their behaviour towards it. 
Reality needs no interpreting. It is reality. Humans need only interact with it, and work within its framework. Take it into account and deal directly with it.
How we ever got into this interpretation thing is a mystery.
Mysticism, Magic, Deities: these are all ways of celebrating and revering reality. Working with it. Not interpreting it.
Science interprets. Religion interprets. Humans interpret.
Humans are bullshit, but there is no natural law that says they have to be :)
Squawk!

March 24, 2012, 07:43:06 PM
Reality is what it is. But how can humans interpret reality? Mysticism? Magic? Deities?  

Confirmation bias? What's that? Sounds like one of those leftist attack-terms designed to undermine all those they are so tolerant of.
Interpreting reality is - in a nutshell - all that is wrong with humans. To insert a layer of separation between reality and their behaviour towards it.  
Reality needs no interpreting. It is reality. Humans need only interact with it, and work within its framework. Take it into account and deal directly with it.
How we ever got into this interpretation thing is a mystery.
Mysticism, Magic, Deities: these are all ways of celebrating and revering reality. Working with it. Not interpreting it.
Science interprets. Religion interprets. Humans interpret.
Humans are bullshit, but there is no natural law that says they have to be :)

Religion and mysticism work against the true nature of reality more than revere. They obscure and protest more than celebrate reality. The reality is only the reality. And the reality is they only exist because humans and likely all sentient beings that ever evolved in the universe required them to provide coping mechanisms, social organization, and definitive values in a universe with inherently none. Without complex instincts to guide human behavior these processes evolved in their stead.

Confirmation bias is favoring evidence to support conclusions one already holds. Like creationists doing 8 digs, finding 2 digs which have enough evidence that possibly correlates with flooding around the same period of the biblical flood, and publishing a report supposedly proving the flood happened. Or when a Christian looks at an earthquake on TV and a report of random sectarian violence 5000 miles away and assumes that fulfills biblical prophecy, even if there has always been earthquakes and sectarian violence. Or when a forum knucklehead who wants to believe in scientific racism so bad they treat rather basic concepts like "confirmation bias" they've not heard of as leftist conspiracies, simply because it sounds funny.

Lettin' nillas know.

I hope our aryan overlords will emerge form their l secret base below antartica and wipe all of those under 500 of IQ And don't have the ability to mindtravel into the Xerces Galaxy.