Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Sadly, our science is bullshit

Re: Sadly, our science is bullshit
March 28, 2012, 05:20:12 PM
The rule of business is "be pleasant or be ignored."

Im seriously jelly at the fact I didn't drop that bomb.

March 30, 2012, 01:58:47 AM
"The editors of Infection and Immunity are sending a warning signal about modern science. Two editorials (1 and 2) published in the journal have given other biomedical researchers pause to ask if modern science is dysfunctional. Readers familiar with the state of academia may not be surprised but the claims have been presented today to the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) that level the following allegations: 'Incentives have evolved over the decades to encourage some behaviors that are detrimental to good science' and 'The surest ticket to getting a grant or job is getting published in a high profile journal, this is an unhealthy belief that can lead a scientist to engage in sensationalism and sometimes even dishonest behavior to salvage their career.' The data to back up such slanderous claims? 'In the past decade the number of retraction notices for scientific journals has increased more than 10-fold while the number of journals articles published has only increased by 44%.' At least a few of such retractions have been covered here."

http://science.slashdot.org/story/12/03/27/1640219/dysfunction-in-modern-science

"While trust in science remained stable among people who self-identified as moderates and liberals in the United States between 1974 and 2010, trust in science fell among self-identified conservatives by more than 25 percent during the same period, according to a study by the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. 'Over the last several decades, there's been an effort among those who define themselves as conservatives to clearly identify what it means to be a conservative,' said the study's lead author. 'For whatever reason, this appears to involve opposing science and universities and what is perceived as the "liberal culture." So, self-identified conservatives seem to lump these groups together and rally around the notion that what makes "us" conservatives is that we don't agree with "them."'"

http://politics.slashdot.org/story/12/03/29/1355221/conservatives-trust-in-science-has-fallen-dramatically-since-mid-1970s

http://www.anus.com/etc/prozakhistan/design.htm

March 30, 2012, 04:40:16 AM
does anyone trust nutritional science anymore? Everything from Paleo, to low fat, to veganism claims to have science behind it. I've given up on research. Just gonna try to eat stuff close to it's natural state and hope for the best.

March 30, 2012, 06:47:33 AM
Avoid gluten like the plague.
Give it a year.
If you don't notice a huge difference, go back to eating it.
I went almost my whole life being unable to absorb food from food.
Funny how you don't even notice minor details like that.

March 31, 2012, 09:11:56 PM
I'm loathe to overgeneralize but different bodies have different needs at different lifecycle stages and divisions of these stages such as current activities. Top that off with a confusing mix of balance and moderation for the rest of the obtuse guide. Going extreme in any direction is usually always failure. Cutting out all lipids is going to result in a seemingly inexplicable case of the herpa derps/memory loss and mysterious cartilege pains in extremities. Going extreme on the Paleolithic/meat/nuts food can result in its own set of severe problems, like kidney damage, later on. Uninformed veganism can cut you off from several micronutrients, especially with food grown with today's increasingly mineral depleted soil in the moronic humanistic pursuit of supporting 8+ billion hungry mouths.

• attention
  • balance
  • moderation

The editors of Infection and Immunity are sending a warning signal about modern science. Two editorials (1 and 2) published in the journal have given other biomedical researchers pause to ask if modern science is dysfunctional. Readers familiar with the state of academia may not be surprised but the claims have been presented today to the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) that level the following allegations:

‘Incentives have evolved over the decades to encourage some behaviors that are detrimental to good science’ and ‘The surest ticket to getting a grant or job is getting published in a high profile journal, this is an unhealthy belief that can lead a scientist to engage in sensationalism and sometimes even dishonest behavior to salvage their career.’ The data to back up such slanderous claims? ‘In the past decade the number of retraction notices for scientific journals has increased more than 10-fold while the number of journals articles published has only increased by 44%.’ At least a few of such retractions have been covered here.”

http://science.slashdot.org/story/12/03/27/1640219/dysfunction-in-modern-science

April 03, 2012, 01:29:49 AM
I was, at age 18-20, a modern day Jeremiah Johnson, in the interior of western BC.
My entire diet consisted of insufficient grouse, squirrel, trout, deer and the odd berry feast.
I have to say, it was the healthiest time of my life, if almost the hungriest.
What amazed me was that, up to that time, fat had always disgusted me, and I would refuse to eat it.
But when it was entirely missing it, I craved it more than sex.
That's quite a thing to say, at 18!
I finally traded a fur for some sheep fat, and pigged-out in bliss.

Processed foods, of all kinds, are not human-food, at all.
Wheat is poison, to me, whereas oats and wild rice are good.
Nuts, fruits, carrots, potatoes.
The better you eat, and the better the food, the saner you are.
Taste has little to do with it: hunger is the most inviting of spices.

April 03, 2012, 04:38:44 AM
"Taste" arises naturally from good food. The idea that it must be imposed is usually industrial society finding some way to dress up blending pork rectums as some kind of magical junk food.