Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Millennial Metal

Millennial Metal
January 15, 2012, 03:59:47 PM
Every generation has its expression. What is the expression of the people born 1983-1993?

Underground metal was a generation X thing, starting with its earliest members. Children of the children of WWII. Children of post-1968, of the Cold War.

What's the sound and content for Milllennials? It would have to express their experience, which is complicated, as they grew up after the Age of Propaganda -- when propaganda was universal.

So far, it has been metalcore/indie-metal, which is a rehash of the 1980s, which is why Gen X won't touch it.

But what's coming from the newer people? Even if you think that Gen Y or Millennials as a group suck ass, people as a group suck ass; it's the rare good ones that we pay attention to. Where are they?

Re: Millennial Metal
January 15, 2012, 11:54:45 PM
Maybe millennial creativity all went into creating non-sensical silly internet memes? They got a full dose the hippy nonsensical propaganda and MTV post Rock 'n Roll years. So: we're all equal + everything heroic is bad + there probably is no god + being rich and getting drunk/high and pursuing mindless entertainment is the ultimate good in life = brain poop.
I don't know about you guys, but I love my under-120s. They're so cute and funny. Just yesterday one stole my GPS unit and another one took a dump in my yard. Ha ha, they're such cards.

January 18, 2012, 10:47:51 PM
Maybe millennial creativity all went into creating non-sensical silly internet memes? They got a full dose the hippy nonsensical propaganda and MTV post Rock 'n Roll years. So: we're all equal + everything heroic is bad + there probably is no god + being rich and getting drunk/high and pursuing mindless entertainment is the ultimate good in life = brain poop.

I think to some extent you're right, but they also might be a generation of late bloomers.  I'm not giving up yet!
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

January 19, 2012, 01:25:59 AM
What no props for Justin Bieber? Ya'll got no love. Seriously though, good question above. The dead end of western civ generation has nothing thus far to pass along to the next. Another symptom of existential crisis this is.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

January 19, 2012, 01:33:42 AM
Indeed.  We haven't even seen the substitute for grunge yet.  What is the new thing for kids these days?  Nobody seems to pay to much attention to music as far as something more than background noise anymore.

January 19, 2012, 03:37:11 AM
Indeed.  We haven't even seen the substitute for grunge yet.  What is the new thing for kids these days?  Nobody seems to pay to much attention to music as far as something more than background noise anymore.

The flavor of the month seems to be dubstep. Which insofar as I can tell is music that finally removed all emotion entirely and is pure entertainment.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

January 21, 2012, 02:52:11 AM
Dubstep seems like it's been a trend for some time. The point is probably not style so much as content, although the two are linked.

January 21, 2012, 05:34:49 PM
I can't tell, I only first heard of it last year, and only first encountered it frequently as of a few months ago. I couldn't even begin to understand the content inherent to dubstep. I don't think there is any to be frank.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

January 21, 2012, 08:16:05 PM
For one thing, I would encourage the Millennials to reconsider who/what the opposition is.  It isn't Christianity, it isn't religion, it isn't authority.

The way I see it, metal is not so much "defiant," as it is, simply, "red-blooded."

It is the passive-aggressive, the limp-wristed, the sad-sacks, the down-and-out, the resentful, the disaffected urban intellectuals, the militant atheist liberals, those who want to make the the world even "safer," those who want to make reality even more like an amusement park, it is the hipsters and their NPR Best of Metal lists!

If Black Metal raged against Christianity, then this is what the future of metal must rage against.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

January 21, 2012, 09:15:46 PM
Red-blooded is an excellent description. It is masculine. It is struggle. It is not reactionary (in essence, though many of its proponents can certainly be this way!).